Rumor: Dish close to adding YES

GaryPen said:
Now, you can enjoy the breathtaking realism of seeing Giambi's veins bulge as the steroids kick in.

And you get the realism of watching the Mets win 65 games this year.

mboy said:
And you get the realism of watching the Mets win 65 games this year.

I'll get to see that in Standard Definition, thank you very much.

Somewhat on-topic:

Rules to be a Yankee Fan

1. It's important to point out past post-season success as often as possible. However, if anyone points out anything in the past that doesn't reflect positively on the Yankees, then argue that it happened in the past and doesn't matter now. For example, it is okay to point out that the Yankees beat the Mariners in the 2000 ALCS. However, if anyone points out that the Mariners beat the Yankees in the 1995 ALDs, then argue that it happened in the past and doesn't matter.

2. Nothing in the regular season matters, unless it's favorable to the Yankees. For example, Roger Clemens was 10-7 last year. However,if anyone points out that the Red Sox have beaten Clemens twice that year, respond by saying, "Regular Season doesn't mean crap". Regular Season wins and losses are especially irrelevant, unless you are referring to the 1998 Yankees.

3. Statistics are for losers. Whenever someone posts a statistic that you find confusing, quickly point out that the Yankees have won 26 World Championships

4. If anyone accuses the Yankees of "buying" their championships, argue that Jeter, B Williams, Pettitte, Soriano, Rivera, and Posada are all home-grown talent. Then, hope that nobody notices that this represents only 6 out of 25 players, and hope they don't bring up Clemens, Mussina, Hitchcock, Witasik, Wohlers, Stanton, Martinez, Sojo, Knoblauch, O'Neill, Brosius, Justice, Lilly etc.

5. Whenever you argue with a Red Sox fan, always bring up 1918. This is supposed to infuriate them and before they respond, you can point out that the Yankees have won 26 championships. See Rule #1

6. Statistics and records are never as important as name recognition. Statistics should always be dismissed unless they are favorable to the Yankees. For example, Roger Clemens is 10-7, but some guy out from Seatle, Joel Pineiro, I think his name is, is 13-5 but that doesn't matter because well-known names are always better than any statistic. If anyone argues with that, see Rule #2.

7. Defend Derek Jeter and Roger Clemens at all costs. Resort to childish name calling and threats of violence if necessary.

8. All other fans of all other teams are bandwagon fans. Nobody has a more loyal, more dedicated following than the Yankees. If a team is hot, or is playing well, call that team's fans bandwagoner's. Then point out how many championships the Yankees have won. See Rule #1.

9. If another teams wins the championship, then it was because of cheating, bias umpires and luck.

10. Logic, Humility, Reason, Tact and Class should be avoided at all times. After all you are the Yankees.

Funny thing is the Mets were only good 1 or 2 years and they won't be good for the forseable future.
They have a pretty high payroll past few years, that hasn't gotten them much has it?
At least for the past few years, the Yankees have been in contention. They have been in contention for a good portion of the last 100 years, more so then any other team. They will be in contention in the future as well. The Mets? NOPE!
Make fun of the Yankees all you want. I bet they get another championship before the Mets do.

mboy said:
Funny thing is the Mets were only good 1 or 2 years and they won't be good for the forseable future.
They have a pretty high payroll past few years, that hasn't gotten them much has it?
At least for the past few years, the Yankees have been in contention. They have been in contention for a good portion of the last 100 years, more so then any other team. They will be in contention in the future as well. The Mets? NOPE!
Make fun of the Yankees all you want. I bet they get another championship before the Mets do.

I like the Yankees just fine. Good team. Enough ex-Mets over the last 15 years to make an entire Mets team. I always root for them, except when they play the Mets.

It's the Yankee fans that are obnoxious. :D (and, let's not forget George Steinbrenner. He makes Donald Trump seem warm, caring, and classy.)

mboy said:
:neener ....GOOD POST....GO YANKEES

As much as I HATE the Yankees I think that every baseball fan should be able to see their team. I hope that the deal gets done---seriously.

GaryPen said:
Rules to be a Yankee Fan
So? What's your point? Is there a problem here? I don't see anything wrong with your rules. ;)
Perfectly sound coming from someone whose favorite team finished in LAST PLACE the past two years despite one of the largest payrolls in baseball, hehehe

Stacy A said:
This better be one of those ala carte channels, because I sure don't want it and I don't want to pay for it.
Stacy
Well, tough! After all, I have to pay for your shopping channels. :shocked:dev:neener

GaryPen said:
The Yankees wouldn't be the best team money can buy, either, of course. Just the most expensive. The Marlins would be the best team in '03. The Angels in '02. And, the Diamondbacks in '01. :D
Who cares how much they pay? It's all within the rules. Some owners would rather pad their own pockets rather than spend on trying to field a competitive team (Wilpon, et al). That's their choice, isn't it? It doesn't cost me a penny.
It just goes to show that throwing money isn't going to guarantee a series winner. Some sound baseball decisions have to be made, too. Unfortunately, some (Wilpon, et al) fail miserably on both counts.

AndyMon said:
So? What's your point? Is there a problem here? I don't see anything wrong with your rules. ;)
Perfectly sound coming from someone whose favorite team finished in LAST PLACE the past two years despite one of the largest payrolls in baseball, hehehe

I guess I won't mention the Yankees of the mid to late '60's, early to mid 70's, most of the 80's, and early 90's. Nope. I won't mention them at all. unh unh. Not a word. Not me.

My point being that teams have ups and downs. Fans stick with them. That's the way it is. So, don't waste your energy putting down fellow New Yorkers. There are plenty of Boston fans for you to have fun with. Plus, we ALL hate the Braves, so we got that goin' for us...which is nice.

AndyMon said:
Who cares how much they pay? It's all within the rules. Some owners would rather pad their own pockets rather than spend on trying to field a competitive team (Wilpon, et al). That's their choice, isn't it? It doesn't cost me a penny.
It just goes to show that throwing money isn't going to guarantee a series winner. Some sound baseball decisions have to be made, too. Unfortunately, some (Wilpon, et al) fail miserably on both counts.

see rule #4. :D

My only question would be: How much will DISH/YES charge us for that channel.
For me, the YES channel is more appealing than the MLB channel, but, I won't get it if the price is prohibitive.

I have learned the last 2 years that I can survive the Yankees not being on TV.

Every year the Yankees are off the air, makes it easy to say NO to YES.

Gary wrote: I guess I won't mention the Yankees of the mid to late '60's, early to mid 70's, most of the 80's, and early 90's. Nope. I won't mention them at all. unh unh. Not a word. Not me.
My point being that teams have ups and downs. Fans stick with them. That's the way it is. So, don't waste your energy putting down fellow New Yorkers. There are plenty of Boston fans for you to have fun with. Plus, we ALL hate the Braves, so we got that goin' for us...which is nice.
Gary, When referring to "your point", I meant about the "rules". I have no problem with others believing whatever they like. After all, everyone needs hope to survive.
Re: Yankees of the years you reference. I have fond memories of Horace Clarke, Ross Moschito, Johnny Ellis, Jake Gibbs, Ron Bloomberg, Roy White, Bobby Murcer, et al. Followed them religiously so I can empathise with what you, as a Met fan, have to go through most every year.
Insofar as putting down fellow NY'ers, I believe you opened that can of worms when you mentioned your disdain for Yankee fans, most of whom are NY'ers, although the Yanks do arguably have a greater following worldwide than any other sports franchise save Manchester United.

AndyMon said:
Gary, When referring to "your point", I meant about the "rules". I have no problem with others believing whatever they like. After all, everyone needs hope to survive.
Re: Yankees of the years you reference. I have fond memories of Horace Clarke, Ross Moschito, Johnny Ellis, Jake Gibbs, Ron Bloomberg, Roy White, Bobby Murcer, et al. Followed them religiously so I can empathise with what you, as a Met fan, have to go through most every year.
Insofar as putting down fellow NY'ers, I believe you opened that can of worms when you mentioned your disdain for Yankee fans, most of whom are NY'ers, although the Yanks do arguably have a greater following worldwide than any other sports franchise save Manchester United.

All I did was point out that NY Dish subscribers have been without ONE of their home teams, not team (singular). It was one of your fellow Yankee fans that felt the need to start up. He's a perfect example of who those rules were written about. (It wasn't you was it? :D )

I never see Met fans give Yankee fans sh*t, unless sh*t upon first. I guess they don't feel the need for whatever reason.

BTW, you left out Joe Pepitone, dude! And, who can forget Frank Tepedino, the perenial bench-warmer from Brooklyn, my home? And, I think Blomberg only had one "O". You can find him in the single-page (half-page?) book, "Greatest Jewish Sports Heroes". :D

GaryPen said:
All I did was point out that NY Dish subscribers have been without ONE of their home teams, not team (singular). It was one of your fellow Yankee fans that felt the need to start up. He's a perfect example of who those rules were written about. (It wasn't you was it? :D )
If it wasn't me I'm sure I chimed in ;) Actually. I was trying to empathize :) and followed that up with a good natured tweak.

I never see Met fans give Yankee fans sh*t, unless sh*t upon first. I guess they don't feel the need for whatever reason.
I find quite the opposite to be true. I either hear Met fans whining about things like your "rules" or some other such nonsense or about their woeful team. Generally, most Yankee fans that I know pretty much ignore the Mets until some Met fan starts up. Why would we bother? The Mets are an afterthought to us. My experience has been that many Met fans suffer from a persecution complex and feelings of inadequacy.
Maybe you've been away from NY too long?? :shocked

BTW, you left out Joe Pepitone, dude! And, who can forget Frank Tepedino, the perenial bench-warmer from Brooklyn, my home? And, I think Blomberg only had one "O". You can find him in the single-page (half-page?) book, "Greatest Jewish Sports Heroes". :D
Who can forget Pepitone. Very good player and an excellent defensive first baseman. No slouch in the outfield with a great arm.
I hesitated before typing Blomberg's name (must be because of the Mayor), thinking that it might be one "o". Thanks for the heads up! Forgot Tepedino. How about Roger Repoz, Jerry Kenny and Stan Bahnsen? I could go on and on with a slew of Yankee "greats" (hehe) from the lean years.
Hey, it's all in good fun. Met and Yankee fans will continue to harangue each other like the Bklyn Dodger (my mother almost named me Dodger cuz the Dodgers had just beaten the Yanks in the Series and Bklyn, where I was born, was in a frenzy) , NY Giant and Yankee fans did. It's all part of being a New Yawka. Baseball is great no matter who you root for. I can't wait for the season to start, win or lose. I've been on both sides and it's all good! Well, winning is better :yes
Let's play two!!! (I wish they still played double headers like in the old days)

I'm lucky to be able to get WPIX. Also, with WGN and TBS, I get to see Mets-Cubs and Mets-Braves games, too! Also, I get to see Mets-Giants games locally, and the occasional ESPN Mets broadcast. It's too bad that KTLA and KWGN don't show Dodgers and Rockies games anymore, or I'd be able to see the Mets (lose) on those as well.

It's ironic that Dish customers in NY couldn't see any Yankee games, while I could watch a slew of Mets games in San Jose.

Now, if I can only get my local Fox station to grant a waiver so I can get WNYW for Saturday Mets games, I'd be in like Flynn.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts