Rumor: Dish close to adding YES

Ah. There's the rub. $140.

As it is, I get plenty of Mets games. If I can get Fox NY for occasional Saturday games, that'll be plenty. I don't need to watch every game. I definitely don't need to watch every game of every team.

I may be a fan. I'm not a fanatic. :smug

Um that would be me. I am the one who started up huh? No one bashed the Yankess or the Yes network until I made a comment?
Altho it is tough for Mets fans to give the Yankees crap (how could you do so with a straight face knowing your team is, was and will be horrible! Even tho this is fact, Mets fans (as well as other sub par team's fans) still manage to do so.

mboy said:
Funny thing is the Mets were only good 1 or 2 years and they won't be good for the forseable future.
They have a pretty high payroll past few years, that hasn't gotten them much has it?
At least for the past few years, the Yankees have been in contention. They have been in contention for a good portion of the last 100 years, more so then any other team. They will be in contention in the future as well. The Mets? NOPE!
Make fun of the Yankees all you want. I bet they get another championship before the Mets do.

I bet they will as well (and I'm a Mets fan).....

It all went downhill when ARod said he WANTED to play for the Mets as he had been a Mets fan growing up. Steve Phillips, then GM, slams the door in his face before they even started doing any negotiating (probably due to Boras, his agent, talking about all of the things his client would require which were ludicrous). THEN, we decide to add Roberto Alomar, a solid 2nd baseman, but someone who is from the AL.... AL hitters often don't transition well to the NL due to the larger ballparks that make their former home runs turn into long outs. We then follow this by adding Todd Zeile (occasional pop but usually a lot of outs), Mo Vaughn, who reported to the team roughly the size of Ruben Studdard, Tom Glavine (an old pitcher with elbow problems), and Roger Cedeno, a guy that had one good season in 2000 and has been crap the rest of the time.

SOOOOO, they decide to "fix" things by bringing back Todd Zeile again (what? you forgot how bad he was the first time already?), Mike Cameron (another occasional HR guy who is more famous for striking out a LOT), and A Japanese guy named Matsui that MIGHT be the next big import from Japan (of course we said that when we got Shinjo a few years back).

Bottom line, Mo Vaughn will get paid $15 million this year to ride the disabled list, Glavine will continue to suck as he coasts on his last big contract before retirement, Braden Looper (who?) becomes our closer, Mike Cameron will strike out more than Burnitz ever did AND get less home runs than he did, Leiter is another year older and slower (but his broadcasting future looks good based on his world series play by play which rivaled Phil Simms in NFL coverage where he seemed to KNOW what was coming next), Jose Reyes, Piazza, and who knows who else will boot balls all over the place as they try to adjust to playing new positions.

Sigh, when are the NY Giants reporting to camp? It looks like another year of the Devils being the only good news to look forward to (Kidd is down for the Nets so THAT is over as well...... not that we care as they are going to Brooklyn anyway).....

I hope Dish gets the YES channel. I get EI for my ny baseball games plus. I get to hear Mike and Mad Dog. I pay extra a month to hear them. Tired going to website and just getting clippings of there shows. Who cares if the blackout the yankees games. I got know EI. Anyway I got my distant cbs from ny so thanks enough of yankees games..... Go METS Go

mboy said:
Um that would be me. I am the one who started up huh? No one bashed the Yankess or the Yes network until I made a comment?
Altho it is tough for Mets fans to give the Yankees crap (how could you do so with a straight face knowing your team is, was and will be horrible! Even tho this is fact, Mets fans (as well as other sub par team's fans) still manage to do so.

Thanks for proving my point.

BobMurdoch said:
I bet they will as well (and I'm a Mets fan).....

It all went downhill when ARod said he WANTED to play for the Mets as he had been a Mets fan growing up. Steve Phillips, then GM, slams the door in his face before they even started doing any negotiating... .

You hit the nail on the head. The single biggest factor in the Mets being yanked (pardon the pun) out of contention can be summed up in three words...Steve F-ing Phillips.

GaryPen said:
You hit the nail on the head. The single biggest factor in the Mets being yanked (pardon the pun) out of contention can be summed up in three words...Steve F-ing Phillips.
Funny, a couple of years ago when Phillips was making those moves it was pretty much unanimously acknowledged that they were pretty good ones. Hell, I even thought he was doing fairly well under the circumstances. He even managed to grab the back page headlines from the Yankees as a result of them. Unfortunately for him and the Mets fans and the team they all blew up in his face. Fans had high hopes which were dashed as it all fell apart. In retrospect, they (the moves) look pretty crappy but at the time most baseball people were lauding Phillips. There always has to be a scapegoat, especially in NY.

AndyMon said:
Funny, a couple of years ago when Phillips was making those moves it was pretty much unanimously acknowledged that they were pretty good ones. Hell, I even thought he was doing fairly well under the circumstances.
YOU must have been drinking too much Florida tap water, too! :D

He even managed to grab the back page headlines from the Yankees as a result of them. Unfortunately for him and the Mets fans and the team they all blew up in his face. Fans had high hopes which were dashed as it all fell apart. In retrospect, they (the moves) look pretty crappy but at the time most baseball people were lauding Phillips. There always has to be a scapegoat, especially in NY.

Those moves looked crappy from the get go. C'mon...Mo Vaughn? No freaking way. I ain't looking for a scapegoat. I thought he was an idiot as soon as he began dismantling a contending team. It was like what Georgie boy did to the Yankees after they lost the Royals back in '80. (or was it 81?)

It's iIronic that I've been able to watch Mets games on a regular basis from 3000 miles away for the last 5 years, and you couldn't watch Yankees games in NY until this year. Of course, if Steinbrenner weren't such a greedy buttress, they'd have some games on broadcast TV. :rolleyes:

No matter what team we all root for, ain't it great that baseball season is back!

AndyMon said:
Funny, a couple of years ago when Phillips was making those moves it was pretty much unanimously acknowledged that they were pretty good ones. Hell, I even thought he was doing fairly well under the circumstances. He even managed to grab the back page headlines from the Yankees as a result of them. Unfortunately for him and the Mets fans and the team they all blew up in his face. Fans had high hopes which were dashed as it all fell apart. In retrospect, they (the moves) look pretty crappy but at the time most baseball people were lauding Phillips. There always has to be a scapegoat, especially in NY.

I thought he did good with Roberto Alomar and that was it (but even that turned out to be a bust as Robby couldn't adjust to the NL)

The ruling from an arbitrator in New York on the dispute between the Yankees' network, YES, and Cablevision is expected this week. Time Warner also is locked into abiding by the decision. The ruling will determine the fair-market value of YES, which will consist of the price level and the tier on which it will be carried.

GaryPen said:
YOU must have been drinking too much Florida tap water, too! :D

Those moves looked crappy from the get go. C'mon...Mo Vaughn? No freaking way. I ain't looking for a scapegoat. I thought he was an idiot as soon as he began dismantling a contending team. It was like what Georgie boy did to the Yankees after they lost the Royals back in '80. (or was it 81?)

It's iIronic that I've been able to watch Mets games on a regular basis from 3000 miles away for the last 5 years, and you couldn't watch Yankees games in NY until this year. Of course, if Steinbrenner weren't such a greedy buttress, they'd have some games on broadcast TV. :rolleyes:

No matter what team we all root for, ain't it great that baseball season is back!
Ineffable twaddle!! Methinks you've been in LaLa Land too long. When Phillips started picking up all those ballplayers virtually all the local sports talk shows and newspapers and fans thought they were great. Sure, there were some questions about Vaughn but only because he had missed a season. Hopes were running extremely high until the season rapidly degenerated into a series of losses and the Mets sunk deeper into the morass. That's when everyone started playing monday morning quarterback. I remember cuz I thought it pretty funny to hear how, suddenly, the Met fans started singing a different tune. I was here in NY and it was a hoot.
BTW, Some Yankee games have been on local broadcast TV and ESPN (including the playoffs and WS!!). Also, it's only the E* subscribers that haven't been able to get the rest :( and a major reason that they lost many existing and new subs to Cable and D* in the NY area.
Yes, it's always good when the season starts.
OH, do you know of any available little leaguers to serve as a back up/ utility infielder for when either Reyes or Matsui get hurt?? Seems the Met mgmt. can't locate anyone on any other level. Wot's up wit dat? :D:rolleyes::dev:haha:bounce:yikes:neener

I signed up for MLBEI and I am anxiuos to get the season started. If one was a Yankee fan, I am certainly not, but was a fan to whomever they play, how would one get the YES channel? Is it going to be alacart or does it come in the AEP or what? Just curious would having the YES increase the number of games one would get through EI or would you not get any Yankee games without having YES? Thanks, Mike

AndyMon said:
OH, do you know of any available little leaguers to serve as a back up/ utility infielder for when either Reyes or Matsui get hurt?? Seems the Met mgmt. can't locate anyone on any other level. Wot's up wit dat? :D:rolleyes::dev:haha:bounce:yikes:neener

I prefer the young talent, and I'm looking forward to the wau Howe deals with them this year. Apparently, you are unfamiliar with what he did in Oakland.

BTW, it was very effible twaddle! I poo-pooed Philips moves right away, as did many of my fellow Mets fans. I don't read the NY papers, so I wouldn't know what they wrote. Can't say I miss The NY Post at all. I use plastic wrap for my fish now.

If the Yankees win, that's expected, If they lose the WS, it's a disaster.

If the Mets win, it's AMAZING! If they lose, it's expected!

Fans are fans, there is no point belittling each others teams.

The arbitration decision is in: YES on Cablevision's expanded basic. I hope not, but I foresee DISH customers being denied their major RSN.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)