Rumor - Free Hd Equipment From Direct?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
cr0mag said:
OMG I had no idea the commercial accounts cost that much $$$... For that price they should get every sports deal included! Way to stick it to the bars... holy crap! :shocked
Yeah I about died when I heard that too. I found out because the club where I play poker could not get cable and wanted satellite. When DirecTV hit the scene they said it is a commercial operation.The owner came to me for advice so I told her get the 3 free from best buy and I installed he dish (which was a PITA) and she has been happy every since.

EDIT: Huh, well it looks like from rad's post below it is cheaper that our packages. Perhaps she meant to tell me it was 600 to get it installed an running. Either way that $419 annual fee would be a pain for anyone!

Skyboss said:
There's a lot of upside down markets like that. Kinda weird.

The DMA's are always lots of counties and if there aren't many suburbs or other nearby cities then it hurts the DMA. I had a conversation once with someone from New Orleans. Large city (600K+) but DMA around 42 or so. My DMA is Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo and he couldn't figure out how we were 39 when Grand Rapids has only 500K population. It's because our DMA is the whole of West Michigan. West Michigan has one large city, Grand Rapids and quite a few midsized cities (over 50K each) and even more 10-20K cities all over the place. We're just spread out. That all adds up to well over a million for the DMA. Whereas New Orleans is pretty much the city, a couple suburbs and not much else farther out. I gather Houston is similar, BIG city, lots of suburbs but once you get outside the metro area it's pretty open country and not a lot of midsized cities to add up. Philly DMA is more like Michigan, lots and lots of midsized cities and towns that add up.

Anyway, now back to our regularly scheduled rumor. :D

bonscott87 said:
The DMA's are always lots of counties and if there aren't many suburbs or other nearby cities then it hurts the DMA. I had a conversation once with someone from New Orleans. Large city (600K+) but DMA around 42 or so. My DMA is Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo and he couldn't figure out how we were 39 when Grand Rapids has only 500K population. It's because our DMA is the whole of West Michigan. West Michigan has one large city, Grand Rapids and quite a few midsized cities (over 50K each) and even more 10-20K cities all over the place. We're just spread out. That all adds up to well over a million for the DMA. Whereas New Orleans is pretty much the city, a couple suburbs and not much else farther out. I gather Houston is similar, BIG city, lots of suburbs but once you get outside the metro area it's pretty open country and not a lot of midsized cities to add up. Philly DMA is more like Michigan, lots and lots of midsized cities and towns that add up.

Anyway, now back to our regularly scheduled rumor. :D

Hey I've got a house in Ann Arbor not too far from Kalamazoo. I used to live Benton Harbor back in the day. I still love it up there but I'm not that fond of snow these days. It gets very old to shovel 150 feet of driveway every single morning to get anything done. I also remember back in the day in Chicago when the sidewalks would have ropes that you needed to hold to walk because it was just so windy and you couldn't see jack. I will say I don't miss those days.

I hated it too I'm from rochester Mi. I retired around the bend from you LonghornXP. I got sick of snow, I know you got alot more lake effect snow on that side of the state tho.
So the new DMA list comes out in Aug? about the time things start heating up with rthe new boxes and such.

LonghornXP said:
Hey I've got a house in Ann Arbor not too far from Kalamazoo. I used to live Benton Harbor back in the day. I still love it up there but I'm not that fond of snow these days. It gets very old to shovel 150 feet of driveway every single morning to get anything done. I also remember back in the day in Chicago when the sidewalks would have ropes that you needed to hold to walk because it was just so windy and you couldn't see jack. I will say I don't miss those days.

Sweet. Benton Harbor, I grew up about 8 miles from Benton Harbor. Spent more time in St. Joe though. Ahhhh....Silver Beach. Hotties...oh so nice. :yes

I'm in Kzoo now. Despite 50 miles from the lake we are at the end of the "Lake Effect Express" and get dumped on. Oh well, I love Michigan anyway.

Now that we've taken this thread way off topic. :cool:

Here's the official news on the August 1, 2005 price breaks.

1. Only for new subscribers, the $50 DVR rebate will go up to $100, so a SD DVR will cost zero after the rebate.
2. The new $100 DVR rebate will be good for the HR10-250 as well.
3. The H10 or if we have the new H20 MPEG 2/4 will go down to $199 for new and existing customers. Sorry it's not going to be free.

We may also see a very small drop, something like $50 to $100 max. on the HR10-250.

To take advantage of any of the above deals the customer must agree to a 2 yr. DIRECTV service agreement.

That's All Folks!

-Robert

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
3. The H10 or if we have the new H20 MPEG 2/4 will go down to $199 for new and existing customers. Sorry it's not going to be free.

I have talked to D* retention since i just got the H10 and was told that I would be able to upgrade the H10 to the new MPEG4 STB free of charge.

I assume, and will be corrected if wrong, the Robert is referring to what dealer's are going to do. You will pay up front and then if DirecTV told you FREE, then they would credit you; but you still would be paying on the front end.

oh ok.. that's cool. btw, anyone know how much for the 5lnb dish is going to be for existing cust.

dchoe said:
oh ok.. that's cool. btw, anyone know how much for the 5lnb dish is going to be for existing cust.

Once MPEG 4 becomes available in your DMA, the 5 LNB dish and your MPEG 4 HD boxes will be included at no charge with a new 2 yr. programming commitment.

-Robert

VE Advanced Digital Technology Dealer

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
Here's the official news on the August 1, 2005 price breaks.

1. Only for new subscribers, the $50 DVR rebate will go up to $100, so a SD DVR will cost zero after the rebate.
2. The new $100 DVR rebate will be good for the HR10-250 as well.

We may also see a very small drop, something like $50 to $100 max. on the HR10-250.

To take advantage of any of the above deals the customer must agree to a 2 yr. DIRECTV service agreement.

That's All Folks!

-Robert

Robert, are you saying that the HR10-250 is going to be MPEG-4 compatible???

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
Yes, but if I tell you.. well you know, I'll have to kill you.

Only kidding, what would you like to know?

-Robert

Um...how about everything? :)

J/k. Anything you could divulge would be of interest. TIA.

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
Once MPEG 4 becomes available in your DMA, the 5 LNB dish and your MPEG 4 HD boxes will be included at no charge with a new 2 yr. programming commitment.

-Robert

Does this mean if any new national HD channels are put up in -4, but your DMA is not "live" yet, and you want the new national channels, that you are going to have to pay for the upgrades? Or will D* do something like they do now for subs who want HD and require the HD pack for 2 years or similar?

That's a very good question. I saw herdfan post it on TCF and thought I would research tomorrow and see if I could get an answer from DIRECTV.

As far as more information, here's a brief recap of what we know.

The first generation HMC will feature 6 tuners, 2 OTA/ATSC and 4 SD/HD Satellite and is due out January 2006 and will support up to 4 SD clients. Clients can be connected via CAT 5 or coax. HMC servers can be connected together to provide more clients. Later versions should support WiFi and HD clients.

No price has been disclosed, but the model looks like a rental offer for $10/mo.

DIRECTV is also working on the next generation HD DVR (MPEG-2/4, due out around the same time.

-Robert

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Pace Micro to supply D* with next gen STB's in 2006

Locals in SW Georgia

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)