RUMOR: Kings set to trade Artest to Rockets

Drama brewing in Houston already....

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5916652.html

It did not take long for the Rockets to get their first taste of the enigmatic, complicated and often contradictory nature of Ron Artest.

Artest, who will be dealt to the Rockets on Aug. 14 in a trade completed Tuesday afternoon, told the Sacramento Bee he was excited about going to the Rockets but would join them only if they are committed to him. Much of Artest’s hesitance was an apparent reaction to Yao Ming’s wariness of the trade, expressed Wednesday on the Chronicle’s Web site.

“We’ve still got to make sure there’s still a commitment,” Artest told the Bee. “That’s the main thing. When I speak to the powers-that-be of the Houston Rockets organization, we’re going to find out how much they really want me there.”

Artest is in the last season of a contract worth $7.4 million, but Rockets officials cannot speak to him until the trade is complete.

There do not, however, seem to be any roadblocks to completing the deal once Donté Green, the prospect whom the Kings sought for Artest, is eligible to be traded Aug. 14. An NBA executive with knowledge of the talks said Wednesday: “The deal is happening.”

Yao was generally positive about the trade but concerned about team chemistry.

“For some reason, I like (Artest),” Yao said. “Because in the games we play against him, I hate him.

“When I text-messaged with Luis (Scola), we talked about team chemistry. That’s only what worries us. We worry about the new attitude to the team. We are adding talent to the team, and we need that, but building team chemistry is important. This is not bad. I don’t mean he is not welcome to Houston. But a new player always needs some time.

“There’s worry. Obviously, yes. ... Hopefully, he’s not fighting anymore and going after a guy in the stands. ... I have to find a way to talk to him and see what we can do as a basketball team. He has a history, but we know he is a physical player. He is a good player. He really can help us.”

Artest seemed unsure what to think of Yao’s comments.....

“This is Tracy (McGrady) and Yao’s team, you know,” Artest said. “I’m not going to take it personal. I understand what Yao said, but I’m still ghetto. That’s not going to change. I’m never going to change my culture. Yao has played with a lot of black players, but I don’t think he’s ever played with a black player that really represents his culture as much as I represent my culture.

“Once Yao Ming gets to know me, he’ll understand what I’m about. But really, he doesn’t have to talk to me, because to me, I’m going (to Houston).”

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: