Tiger Stadium to be demolished

As a Red Sox fan I cannot imagine tearing Fenway down. I fee for you.

Tiger stadium is the only stadium I ever watched a game in. I just have no intrest in baseball anymore, but Tiger Stadium will always hold a special place in my mind.

As a Red Sox fan I cannot imagine tearing Fenway down. I fee for you.

Don't think I'm gloating about this.

In fact, an arena from my childhood is going down soon.

In October, the Aud is going to be demolished.

This is a BIG deal for me; I grew up in Buffalo about 30 minutes from the Aud.

I went to 10 games between 1989-1994, and the Sabres won all 10 of them!

So, come October, I'll be shedding a tear or two when a shrine of my youth goes down.

I hate to see Tigers Stadium go down :(
That said, it was inevitable.

They are already in the process, even though there was talk that someone had till August 1st I think.

I went to many games there and have yet to go to Comerica.
I watched it being built (Comerica) while visiting Hockeytown Cafe many time before Wings games.

Joe Lewis Arena will also some day be taken down .... rumor from several years ago was Mr. I was looking to built in the same area as Comerica, but I have not heard anything in awhile.

Jimbo

Last edited:
I feel the Tigers and or the City could have made a good amount of money , had they cleaned up Tigers Stadium and used it for High School playoffs as well as some other events.

Out door Hockey games ect.

They could have also had tours thru the stadium that I think would have been very cool.

Last edited:
Yeah, we all knew it would happen. The reason it is taking so long and hasn't already been done was due to the fact that they can't blow it up. The have to use a wrecking ball and tear it down piece by piece. We discussed this a while back.

Yeah, we all knew it would happen. The reason it is taking so long and hasn't already been done was due to the fact that they can't blow it up. The have to use a wrecking ball and tear it down piece by piece. We discussed this a while back.

Briefly remind me why it cannot be IMPLODED like so many others, much less mess this way.

Jimbo

I feel the Tigers and or the City could have made a good amount of money , had they cleaned up Tigers Stadium and used it for High School playoffs as well as some other events.

Out door Hockey games ect.

They could have also had tours thru the stadium that I think would have been very cool.

Illitch, in no way wanted tiger stadium to keep running in any way shape or form, once they moved to Comerica Park. I think its sad to, but the way she has been neglected its time. I did recently read that they are saving the baseball field and foul polls there will be a baseball diamand. I can kick myself for not buying some seats when they were selling them.

It had something to do with the structures around the stadium or something to that affect.

Don't think I'm gloating about this.

In fact, an arena from my childhood is going down soon.

In October, the Aud is going to be demolished.

This is a BIG deal for me; I grew up in Buffalo about 30 minutes from the Aud.

I went to 10 games between 1989-1994, and the Sabres won all 10 of them!

So, come October, I'll be shedding a tear or two when a shrine of my youth goes down.

Do you have any cool pics of the Aud? I've seen a couple on... I think ballparksDOTcom. It's cool to see some of those old arenas

Demolition started yesterday. I have lots of fond memories from there, but it's time has come and gone. Anybody who has ever been there knows that tiger Stadium had the best 20,000 seats in baseball. Anybody who sat behind one of the hundreds of posts supporting the upper deck knows about the worst 20,000 seats in baseball. My favorite seats were in the first few rows of the upper deck between home and the bags. You felt like you were right on the field.
Kaline throwing a runner out at home from the warning track in right field.
Reggie Jackson hitting the light tower on the right field roof in the '71 All Star game.
The 1968 world series.
The 1984 world series.
Mark "Bird" Fidrych.
Trammell and Whitaker turning another double play.
Walking into the stadium for the first time at 5 years old, and seeing all that green grass, and green stadium. Seeing my heroes up close, for the first time.
Eating 11 hot dogs during one game, when I was 18. (Best hot dogs anywhere before they switched to Eckrich in the 80's).
Those are some of the things I'll cherish.

What I don't miss is missing 2 innings of the game everytime you went to the concession stand, or the bathroom. Lines that ran forever. Or sitting behind one of those damn posts.

So long old friend. I miss you, but the new park beats you in a lot ways.

It will be sad to see it go but its time has come.

Trammell and Whitaker turning another double play.

I saw plenty of those growing up. I still think they were one of the best SS 2nd base combo ever to play the game.

What I don't miss is missing 2 innings of the game everytime you went to the concession stand, or the bathroom. Lines that ran forever. Or sitting behind one of those damn posts.

I will have to agree with you on this one. The lines were horrible and those damn posts were the worst.

I made many trips up from NJ to see the Flyers play at the AUD & to Niagra Falls with my g/f in the 80s.That was a smaller arena if I remember right ? I thought they were going to make it into some sort of shopping mall complex with condos or town houses ? And they used to play the Sabre Dance when the Sabres came onto the ice.Too bad about all these great old buildings arenas or stadiums.

The common practice today is to build the new stadium in the parking lot and then demolish the old stadium for use as the parking lot, which is what happend in Cincinnati, Atlanta, Chicago, etc. Or to have a redevelopment plan ready to go, such as in Minneapolis. However some stadiums have lived on past the team leaving, generally because they were located in bad areas and the underlayig land was really not worth redevelopment. For example, Philly's Shibe Park/Connie Mack Stadium was left to just rot for nearly 8 years, because no one wanted the land it stood on. It is now a church.

I belive this is a list of the still existing abandoned major league stadiums.

San Francisco's Candlestick Park and San Diego's Jack Murphy Stadium are still used by the NFL.

Both Montreal Stadiums still exist, the intended to be temporary Jarry Park has been converted into a tennis stadium, and the "Big Owe" is still in use, although not for sports.

The Astrodome is sitting with no apparent use planned. Houston's original wooden and wood temporary Colts Stadium, was left to rot, but eventually sold, taken apart, and moved to Mexico, where it is still in use in the Mexican League.

While the original Busch Stadium (Sportsman Park) was torn down, the field remains and is used as a local children's park.

Two replicas of Crosley Field were built in the Kentucky suburbs, using materials from the original. The one in the gated community of Blue Ash is still there.

Boston's Braves Park was reworked as a football and soccer field and still exists, part of Boston U.

The LA Coliseum is still there, of course.

RFK / DC Stadium is still used by a soceer team, until 2010, and then there are no firm plans with what to do with the ultra-valuable piece of land. It is not even really clear who owns it. The DC government says it got it as a part of "home rule" in 1970, while the US government thinks it is still a part of the Interior Department, which built it and paid for it with federal dollars.

Two replicas of Crosley Field were built in the Kentucky suburbs, using materials from the original. The one in the gated community of Blue Ash is still there.

Just to keep the record straight...Blue Ash and its replica of Crosley Field is in Ohio, just northeast of Cincinnati, and is not "gated"!!!...:eek:

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story, there, Rush!!!...:rolleyes:

I visited Tiger Stadium in 1995, and I got more than what I expected. For whatever reason, this ballpark provided more of a visual "surprise" when I first walked in than any other (and consider that I have seen just about every ballpark or stadium on TV before ever actually walking in). There was something about the blue walls and the green grass that made this ballpark something special. I made sure to stand behind the 440 foot fence in center field and sit for a while in the right field upper deck that extended over the fence.

I've been to many, many ballparks (24 MLB, existing and no longer in use), and this is my favorite of the "traditional" parks. So much so that I became a fan of the team after that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts