Tigers Trade Pudge Rodriguex for Pitcher from Yankees

Claude Greiner

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Detroit - The Paris of the Midwest
Tigers acquire Kyle Farnsworth in deal with Yankees
The Tigers acquired right-handed reliever Kyle Farnsworth from the Yankees on Wednesday in exchange for catcher Ivan Rodriguez.

Farnsworth, 32, was having his best season of his three with the Yankees, pitching to a 3.65 ERA in 45 appearances. He struggled in a setup role his first two seasons after joining the Yankees as a free agent prior to the 2006 season.

Farsworth pitched for Detroit in 2005, registering six saves before being traded to Atlanta at the July 31 Trade Deadline.

A great pick up for the Yankees ! I guess they didn't have confidence in Molina & Moeller to carry them the rest of the way behind the plate ?
At least Pudge will play everday now.

Well Farnsworth part II, as for pudge he was not going to be re-signed so I guess they got something for him

Well Farnsworth part II, as for pudge he was not going to be re-signed so I guess they got something for him

Tigers got NOTHING for Pudge.
Farnsworth is a washed up reliever trying desperatly to hang on.

Tigers needed Farnsworth like they needed another wild fastballer

Last night on the news, the sports reporter said that "Rodreguiz had worn out his Welcome in Detroit".
I had never heard of any problems with Pudge and wearing out his Welcome.

Anyone else hear anything about the Tigers not wanting him ?

I know the contract was up at the end of the year, but figured they would do another one, seeing that have no catcher on the team or in the minors that is ready to become a star.

Jimbo

Last night on the news, the sports reporter said that "Rodreguiz had worn out his Welcome in Detroit".

I know the contract was up at the end of the year, but figured they would do another one, seeing that have no catcher on the team or in the minors that is ready to become a star.

Jimbo

THAT was a bull**** spin by the Tigers brass so they would NOT look bad. They knew they were not gonna sign him and he was a fan favorite in Detroit.....:mad:

Jimbo

I dont know about wearing out his welcom.....But that had been chatter I guess in the media, that he was not to happy about not playing as much as he wanted to?

Also on your later point, Its not my feeling.....But the tiger brass had made up there mind that inge would be everday catcher next year so I guess that made the trade much much more sense.....I guess, and by no means do I think farsworth is the next K-rod, but they need something to help with the sorry bullpen

THAT was a bull**** spin by the Tigers brass so they would NOT look bad. They knew they were not gonna sign him and he was a fan favorite in Detroit.....:mad:

More like a BS spin by a Toledo sportscaster. Dombrowski and Leyland have had nothing but praise for Pudge since day one. You are right that they were not going to sign him for next season. Tigers choice, not Pudge's. He's played pretty well since the Tigers started giving him rest every second , third game, but he was not happy about not playing everyday. I don't know a player who would be.
More comments in the TIGERS thread.