Rumor NO MORE!, SpeedHD, FX HD & More THIS WEEK! (NOW LIVE)

So, I called a little while ago to see if I could get them to rehit my receiver, as I was not seeing Speed or FX yet. The lady I spoke with didn't understand my request and asked what I was seeing on the HD versions of the channels above. After convincing her that I couldn't see them yet, she went off for about 5 minutes and came back and told me I couldn't get those channels in HD. When I asked why, she said it was because I had America's Top 250 with HD Gold, and that I would have to downgrade to HD Silver to get them. After I told her that HD Gold includes everything in HD Silver plus some more, she seemed really confused, so that was the end of that conversation. Hopefully mine will get updated tonight, we shall see.

That's when you ask for a supervisor - it's a crapshoot getting a CSR that knows anything other than the script they are given to read from. Or you could try the automated system - at least you can understand it when it says something.

As far as Fashion TV HD goes, the thing is the average dish sub is not normally capable of getting FTA channels so that route wouldn't be an option for them. And (mind you I'm not an FTA-er) isn't the FTA HD receivers a bit pricy? Now, if they put CSPAN3 and an RTN national feed in the platinum pack then I could understand... but I don't think too many will be upset with FTv HD's placement.

Huh? Where the hell did you get the idea that I was accusing FTV HD of being SD?

According to reliable sources, FTV HD is also available FTA. So it's pretty ironic that Dish put it in their highest-priced package. Doesn't anyone else think so?
It's not that you were "accusing FTV HD of being SD", but the fact that it is fully HD all the time is a "value added" that you do not get from the SD channel.

And, as previously mentioned, the programming schedule is different, so it is not the same channel in that way either (although obviously, there is probably a lot of overlap).

Lastly, FTV HD is only available FTA in Europe, not in North America.

By the way, FTV has a lot of documentary programming on the "fashion scene", in fact that is the majority of the programming.

In order to see the actual runway shows, look in the Guide for the programs that end in "FW" (for Fashion Week), which has excerpts from the designers' latest shows (Paris,Milan,London and New York are the top 4).

FTV hd was spotted yesterday in the US by the FTA guys.

Probably because running fiber from Paris would be prohibitively expensive. ;)

So, FTV uplinked their HD channel to Dish Network by satellite... note that Dish announced FTV in HD weeks ago, then it is available FTA in HD at the same time as Dish Network adds the channel.

Just because a channel does not bother to scramble their feeds, does not mean that a TV provider can offer the channel without charge and without paying the channel a fee.

For example, you can find the national feed of PBS-HD FTA, but no cable or satellite provider can put that national feed on their system.

Last edited:
Man, this is disappointing - so since I'm on TurboHD Bronze DDA, paying $39.99+tax a month, I now have to pay $54.99+tax a month to get Classic 100 DDA with Bronze HD?

If you ignore the SD channels - which would be pointless to watch on a 52" 1080p set, for the most part - that's paying $15 a month extra for what - Fox News, Speed, FX, Nick, VH1, MTV? Excuse me if I'm missing one that's in Silver, but seriously - that's over two dollars a channel extra. I would be happy to pay this if it were part of an a la carte option or lower cost basis option, but in the current pricing structure and economy, I just don't see paying $55 a month for in the neighborhood of 10 channels I watch besides my locals (I get all four of them in HD OTA) as a good option.

This continual pattern of raising and dashing hopes with HD channel announcements is going to bite Dish in the butt at some point. They just need to get over it and stop offering TurboHD - that's clearly what they'd like to do in the long run anyway.

For now, though, WE GOT CHUCKED! Nothing else to it. Voting with your feet just became a much more attractive strategy... there's no other way to express displeasure with Dish, really. They'll happily send out form letters aplenty so long as they keep getting our monthly bills. Personally, I'm already heavily considering switching back to cable - I'm planning to call and see what kind of specials I can get on Monday. Even the cable company here manages to provide almost as much HD as Dish does - including some that Dish is blocking TurboHD from getting. That's what really gets my goat - the cable company here has added more HD to their lineup in the past six to eight months than Dish has!

Something is WRONG with this picture, and no, we do not need to adjust our television sets!

Probably because running fiber from Paris would be prohibitively expensive. ;)

So, FTV uplinked their HD channel to Dish Network by satellite... note that Dish announced FTV in HD weeks ago, then it is available FTA in HD at the same time as Dish Network adds the channel.

Just because a channel does not bother to scramble their feeds, does not mean that a TV provider can offer the channel without charge and without paying the channel a fee.

For example, you can find the national feed of PBS-HD FTA, but no cable or satellite provider can put that national feed on their system.

Note: FTV hd was announced today by Dish. Rumors do not count.;)

It was announced in a retailer chat a month or two ago.
Talking about this one http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/159614-new-hd-dish-2009-a.html#post1644234

HD National Channels Currently Planned to Launch in the Future! – One of DISH Network’s main strategies is to continue improving our HD channel offerings. Here is a list of HD national channels we currently plan on launching in 2009!

BET – The television network providing programming highlighting African-American culture.

Comedy Central – The all-comedy network.

CMT – The video network for young country fans, playing non-stop contemporary country hits 24 hours a day.

Crime & Investigation – Network dedicated to crime, investigation and mystery.

Fashion TV – The 24/7 fashion, beauty and style TV station.

FX – Offers a growing roster of award-winning original series and box-office hits.

MTV – America's premier music video and entertainment network for young adults.

Nickelodeon – Offers the highest quality and top-rated kids programming in a variety of genres appealing to kids of all ages.

SHOTO – Offers double the entertainment power of Showtime.

Showtime Extreme – Dedicated to all action, all the time.

Showtime (West) HD – Showtime in high definition provides the ultimate in home theater entertainment.

SPEED – The 24-hour network that is devoted to the sport of NASCAR.

Spike TV – Addresses the modern mans lifestyle interests.

VH1 – Where today’s upscale viewers stay connected to the music and music culture they love.

(did we just finish out the list today???)

Geez, I was really hoping FX and Speed would get added to Absolute, didn't care about the others.:(
:up +1

...At least you have: Logo, BETJ, FTV, and CSPAN2. :D (Some of this years less watched channels)

Thankfully there is an option to lock and hide channels that one never watches. It sure cleans up the guide (on either tuner).

Yesterday was a great day, with the HD adds and some of the discussion that Charlie had at Team Summit, if he sticks to what he was discussing looks like a bright future at Dish. I know many have been burnt by what he has said in the past

But for some of the Dish Network veterans out there, how do you feel after you read what he has to say about the areas he said he would improve? Do you feel excitied about the future of Dish now? or same old, same old, show me first??

My two cents, I am excitied....I know I am new just wait the same old Dish network will reapear. Maybe Team Summit was the kickoff of a new direction for Dish?? (The national HD Leader) hey might as well brag about it right!....:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)