Rumors Heard from an Installer

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

crspam

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2005
Lake in the Hills, Illinois
I had problems recently with my HD DVR receiver and had to have an installer come out to swap out the box. While he was here....he offerred the following rumors:

1) Things are in the works to add 3-5 new HD channels to Comcast's lineup by the end of the year.
2) Comcast purchased TIVO and will be switching the boxes to TIVO in perhaps a year.

Can anyone confirm or deny these rumors??? The one about the TIVO purchase seems extremely odd to me.

crspam said:
I had problems recently with my HD DVR receiver and had to have an installer come out to swap out the box. While he was here....he offerred the following rumors:

1) Things are in the works to add 3-5 new HD channels to Comcast's lineup by the end of the year.
2) Comcast purchased TIVO and will be switching the boxes to TIVO in perhaps a year.

Can anyone confirm or deny these rumors??? The one about the TIVO purchase seems extremely odd to me.

1) I heard the same from Comcast CSR's, 3 new channels (1 was tnthd though)

2) Comcast did not buy tivo, they signed an agreement with Comcast and all new COmcast DVR's will be Tivo, Spring 2006

Tnthd?

I'm in Baltimore County, Whitemarsh.. and I've had TNTHD for months now!
Where exactly are you??

Dave

Tnthd

cfkillers said:
i still dont have tnthd and i live in the biggest or second biggest county in the state of maryland. if comcast does get 3 new channels i wont see them anytime soon.

Don't know why they are treating PG that way. We apparently got TNTHD in Baltimore City (later than in Baltimore County) on April 22nd. By the way, check to see if RCN is available in PG. It is available in many DC suburbs. They have decent HD line-up and up to 10mbps/800kbps cable internet (touted as the fastest in the US). Not available in Baltimore area. But they are competing with Comcast in DC and in other DC suburbs like Montgomery County (my friend in Wheaton, MD has it). http://www.RCN.com/
Wayne

Whoops no RCN HD yet in MD

Wayne88 said:
..... By the way, check to see if RCN is available in PG. It is available in many DC suburbs. They have decent HD line-up and up to 10mbps/800kbps cable internet (touted as the fastest in the US). .......
Wayne

I spoke too soon. If the website ( http://www.rcn.com/hdtv/index.php ) is up to date. It looks like RCN is not providing HD yet in Maryland. But judging by the Comcast web site, it might be worth calling them to find out if this has changed recently. 866.726.1001
Wayne

Rcn Hd

Wayne88 said:
I spoke too soon. If the website ( http://www.rcn.com/hdtv/index.php ) is up to date. It looks like RCN is not providing HD yet in Maryland. ....
Wayne

I called RCN and they now do have high def in DC metro area. Unfortunately, for the TNTHD deprived in PG County MD, they don't have TNTHD either. They do have more HDNet and HD net movies though (but no INHD or INHD2). And they have no intention of bringing their fiber optic lines the 40 more miles to Baltimore. We'll just have to wait for Verizon FIOS.
Wayne

Scott mentioned an offhanded comment about a contract deal between Tivo and Comcast reguarding programming the DVR's but nothing more.

Personally I can't wait for that to happen.

philhu said:
1) I heard the same from Comcast CSR's, 3 new channels (1 was tnthd though)

I posted on this a while ago, the other two is Universal and ESPN 2.

philhu said:
2) Comcast did not buy tivo, they signed an agreement with Comcast and all new COmcast DVR's will be Tivo, Spring 2006

Not totally true, the agreement is if us Comcast HD-DVR users wish to use TIVO software we may, but pay extra, if not, we can use the software the machine comes with instead.

Who wouldn't want the TiVo service? The SA8000HD box has a horrible interface. It will easily be worth $5/mo for a decent program guide!

I've heard rumors that the TiVo functionality is only going to be on the Moto boxes, not the SA boxes tho... ARGH!!!

-John

jgantert said:
Who wouldn't want the TiVo service? The SA8000HD box has a horrible interface. It will easily be worth $5/mo for a decent program guide!

I've heard rumors that the TiVo functionality is only going to be on the Moto boxes, not the SA boxes tho... ARGH!!!

-John

Again, since you have the 8000, I can't comment on how bad or good it is, but since I have the 6412, I can only say how well I like it, I go to the guide, hit record at what ever show is on at whatever date/time and it works, I don't need to pay more for something I do not need, I don't need TIVO to tell me what shows it 'thinks' I may like/watch, I know what I want to record.

I haven't had a problem with my 8000 since I posted about it. Before I watch a movie I just switch the AC outlet to always on so if the cable box shuts off during the movie the TV will stay on.

As for the channels I hope I get them soon. I live in Southern New Jersey and I usuallly get the channels first since Comcast is out of Philadelphia but I do not have TNTHD yet. I hope they put Tivo in all the boxes. I think Tivo will be so much better then the 8000.

I live in Portland, OR one of the most high tech areas in the country and comcast still doesn't have a deal with CBS and I don't have TNTHD yet. At least i have the 6412, thats the only good thing i can say. I don't get why comcast is so area specific and it makes me mad. Posting this made me think, if the local CBS affiliate in my area won't let comcast have the signal could comcast take CBS from another area and just give it to us?

Probably Not

Federal law prevents Comcast from offering CBS stations from any other Market area to customers that live in the Portland market area. (Which covers most of northern Oregon and Southern Washington, and as far south as Linn county.)

There may be a glimmer of hope however, as Emmis, the company that owns KOIN has hinted that they may be trying to sell their television interests. If this happen KOIN could fall into the hands of a broadcaster more willing to deal with Comcast.

bruce said:
Again, since you have the 8000, I can't comment on how bad or good it is, but since I have the 6412, I can only say how well I like it, I go to the guide, hit record at what ever show is on at whatever date/time and it works, I don't need to pay more for something I do not need, I don't need TIVO to tell me what shows it 'thinks' I may like/watch, I know what I want to record.

I'ld like to be able to search the guide and get useful programming guide info out of the guide without being forced to press the info button. Also, I'ld like to have a guide of just my favorites.

Maybe I'm asking too much of Comcast? Oh well.

Also, I'ld like a box that I dont have to press stop, change channels, change the channel back, and press play just to playback a recording with DolbyDigital 5.1 audio. I know, not TiVo related... Oh well again.

-John

Just wondering, what's the word on RCN? Would they be worth leaving comcast for? (voom was worth the two months, but i don't want another two month stint and have to go back to comcast).

RCN Cable

RCN seems to be a good stable company that competes with Comcast in several metropolitan areas. They have a lot of fiber optic lines. I asked them if they were coming to Baltimore and they said no unfortunately (only dialup). They have lots of bundled cable TV and cable internet (explosively fast 10mbps) and dialup phone service in the nearby DC metro area. Guess I will wait for Verizon FIOS which I hope will be available in B'more by the time my dish buyback promotion ends with Comcast. ......I miss Voom too!
Wayne

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)