Rumors of Discovery

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Blindowl1234 said:
I got the Super Pak last month and I plan on sticking with it. My daughter stopped by last night and I gave her the remote she quickly noticed their were channels she didn't have at her house. Don't know which pizza service they use. She got into the cooking channel,all it did was make me hungry lol.

:D this happens a lot!

We have Dish to keep some channels not available on Hits, but almost every channel we don't have on Dish is on Hits - almost like they're working together ROFL !!!

I was wondering how this would work, whether he'd have to be on W5 or whether they could remain where they are and be auth'd by Hits.

Leaving them where they are would mean 410 owners would need a separate positioner or multidish setup I presume? 4d'rs would be ok.

I understand they have to be made available and I know it would bring in more subs.

I have 2 subs atm, Basic and Everything.

The core Discovery channels on the 4DTV platform covered the use of the HITS channels in the past with the 410. They were never in those packs. Since the 2 systems have merged the cores were lost with 4096 shutdown.

Now from what I know HITS can provide an EMM stream of 4160 on multiple birds. I have seen the 4160 EMM on GB and C3. You can tell if an old 4DTV channel works with 4160 by seeing the subscription message vs channel not available. You also get an EMM lock "0" on the diagnostic screen.

What it boils down too is what is the lessor of two evils financial wise. It costs money to turn around channels on X4 as it costs I think it was $1000.00 a month to map other satellites. Motorola is still in this game like it or not even though Comcast's ACC is it's own entity and Motorola as Comcast like lot's of green.

The 4DTV system could have still been in place and we could have got ALL the channels in 4DTV mode if the dollars were there. NPS was a bunch of stingy bastards that cared only about profit and walked away from the negotiating table time and time again since they wouldn't agree to make a few pennies less. This caused the demise of channels. SRL was a more go with the flow type of company and did what they could to keep things going with contracts. If you noticed in the past SRL usually got channels long before NPS did and also kept them when NPS lost them to disputes. Mike Mountford thought he was Charlie Ergan and was going to tell companies the way it is. This is what screwed up the ABC Family/ Disney deal on 4DTV. If you know whats going on with Dishnet now they dictated to Disney also and they lost all HD access to those channels nearing a year now. Hard ball tacticts don't work unless you really have leverage. NPS also played hardball with Motorola and you see where it got us. I'm not saying Motorola & Disney corp are angels (far from it) but you don't bite the hand that feeds you if you expect to keep your doors open tomorrow.

If HITS can auth Discovery etc. on their original sats does that mean we'll get the Masters? - whoop!

If HITS can auth Discovery etc. on their original sats does that mean we'll get the Masters? - whoop!

HITS 4160 EMM stream can be attached to any channel just like 4096 was. Yes the masters could come back if that's the decision that is made.

Currently, Ovation on GB and the IN Demand PPV masters on C3 are in HITS's universe. I was checking that last night for some research for the map master project.

Actually Motorola can do a lot if they wanted. The HITS SAC in theory could give us access to ALL the 4DTV capable channels on C band. :eek:

tvropro said:
HITS 4160 EMM stream can be attached to any channel just like 4096 was. Yes the masters could come back if that's the decision that is made.

Currently, Ovation on GB and the IN Demand PPV masters on C3 are in HITS's universe. I was checking that last night for some research for the map master project.

Actually Motorola can do a lot if they wanted. The HITS SAC in theory could give us access to ALL the 4DTV capable channels on C band. :eek:

This has probably been discussed 0000s of times but....what "costs" Comcast to offer channels to us? That is, what is there expense? Is it equipment/operation or channel rights?

I know there's issues with signal type, multi pipe etc. But what about channels that are already in a compatible format?

Just wondering what their business decision is based on for providing channels to us.

I haven't subscribed since the first of the year (I do have X4 with the correct channels, but haven't changed from 4096). The loss of the Discovery cores and the Scripps channels killed the deal for my family. Those channels accounted for at least 90% of what we watched on C-band. Between that and some hardware issues I had in December (I can no longer change polarity and my actuator arm is on its last leg), we decided to hold off for a bit. I now have a new LNBF waiting for better weather to be installed, so I'll continue to keep an eye on things and hopefully get to come back if things change.

Both Pizza services don't offer many of the MTV digital suite channels, MTV Hits, CMT Pure, VH1 Soul. I've seen some of them on Comcast cable by a friends house but they ain't on pizza. MTV Hits is what MTV was back in the day and CMT Pure is what CMT was. I used to love when I had a sub to the masters on C3. They looked better than HITS does and HITS looks better than pizza. So who is compressing more? I bet NPS took lessons from Dish how to make channels look terrible (G3 uplinks) and screw things up.

Last edited:
Both Pizza services don't offer many of the MTV digital suite channels, MTV Hits, CMT Pure, VH1 Soul. I've seen some of them on Comcast cable by a friends house but they ain't on pizza. MTV Hits is what MTV was back in the day and CMT Pure is what CMT was. I used to love when I had a sub to the masters on C3. They looked better than HITS does and HITS looks better than pizza. So who is compressing more? I bet NPS took lessons from Dish how to make channels look terrible (G3 uplinks) and screw things up.

Yes, "MTV Hits" is like the original MTV with todays music. My daughter couldn't wait to see what the next video would be and continued watching for well over an hour. It looks as if our HITS MTV package is here to stay for awhile. :)

The MTV mini pack is a nice pack and a nice add on to pizza. See HITS2HOME ain't that bad after all. ;) Needs to grow on you.

My daughter just got home from school and went into her bedroom. I then turned on MTV Hits on HITS in the living room and she came out running with the Dish Network remote control and said "Daddy, what channel is MTV Hits on?". I said "I'm sorry, MTV Hits is not on Dish Network or even DirecTV". She now wants me to hookup HITS in her bedroom. :)

Watch out she will tell her friends and then they will bug their parent's for the channel. Could be a lucrative business tossing up 6 footers and 410's for all her friends parents :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.