run additional coax from at9 - simple way?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

greggthomas

Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
***Rookie alert ****

I have a 1.5 yr old 5LNB AT9 that has 4 coax outputs available but only 1 coax connected and running inside (thanks installer!). I just got my HR 22 and need at least 2 lines now.

Anyway, it looks like the only way to run additional cables inside is to unhook the LNBs from the mast to get access to the outputs, which really only involves two screws. It would seem that if I was gentle, I could remove, hook up coax, and reconnect the LNBs to the mast and nothing would have changed.

The AT9 install manual makes clear that you shouldnt remove the LNBs after they have been installed, so I am paranoid. Yes, I could get a multi switch but that is $200 and I dont need it (my house is prewired so I just need 25 feet of cable from the dish to the basement panel).

I'll cough up the bucks if I need to for a tech to come out, but some words of wisdom from the gurus would help. Thanks.

I have done this numerous times.

Just be sure to disconnect the wall power at the receivee(s) and you can easily take the LNB array off, add lines and slide it back on. You can do it!

Like charper says, to be safe unplug the receiver from the wall before you do this.

Since you're dealing with the sidecar AT9 dish, be very careful with the two little wires coming from the sidecar to the main LNB assembly. If you feed the cable from the mast towards the LNB assembly (with the connector already on it), you'll only have to pull out the LNB assembly about a 1/2" or so (just enough to get the cable on the port and get it tightened.)

Best advice is that since you're going to run one cable, you might as well run two more from the dish to your connection point in the basement. This will save you some work in the future.

Make sure that you tighten everything, and that you DO NOT adjust the position of the sidecar.

Great. Thanks!

Duly noted on the receiver power. I will run all 4 lines inside for future expansion.

Thanks for the advice.

Gregg.

Also as long as your at the dish, do yourself a favor and check the the orignal coax connector at the LNB and make sure it's snug, same thing with the pigtails on the sidecar.

Just use an open end wrench to "snug" them tight. Not Mad Mountain Dean tight. I can't remember off hand whether it's 5/16" or 9/16".

I check them about once a year when I'm inspecting the roof and the OTA set up. Most of the time they are tight, I may find a loose one once in a while.

Also as long as your at the dish, do yourself a favor and check the the orignal coax connector at the LNB and make sure it's snug, same thing with the pigtails on the sidecar.

Just use an open end wrench to "snug" them tight. Not Mad Mountain Dean tight. I can't remember off hand whether it's 5/16" or 9/16".

I check them about once a year when I'm inspecting the roof and the OTA set up. Most of the time they are tight, I may find a loose one once in a while.

Depending on the manufacturer, some of the cables from the sidecar to the main LNB assembly have push-on connectors, while other use the same type F connectors as are used elsewhere. Be very careful with the push-on connectors (which I recall are type SMB).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)