Waymo & Cruise Approved for 24/7 Operation in San Francisco

I'm feeling badly for the Taxi drivers (who paid $100k for their badge) who have to compete with Uber and Lyft and now must compete no nobody driving Waymo and Cruse taxi service. Holy cow!

Waymo also under investigation:

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration posted documents detailing the probe on its website early Tuesday after getting 22 reports of Waymo vehicles either crashing or doing something that may have violated traffic laws.

In the probe of Waymo, which was once Google's self-driving vehicle unit, the agency said it has reports of 17 crashes and five other reports of possible traffic law violations. No injuries were reported.

In the crashes, the Waymo vehicles hit stationary objects such as gates, chains or parked vehicles. Some of the incidents happened shortly after the Waymo driving system behaved unexpectedly near traffic control devices, according to the documents.

There was one incident that is listed as an injury crash with a Motorcycle, but in this case a Waymo test driver took control to avoid collision with a car on the left and hit a motorcyclist on the right who was passing. Therefore this was considered human error.
I have seen similar cases when driving in the center lane and two semi's on left and right lane tried to squeeze me in the center. I took control slamming on the brakes hard and the two trucks moved back into their own lanes to avoid hitting each other.

In the case of Robotaxis there will always be cases of Robotaxis unable to avoid a collision if needing to avoid human erratic and reckless driving. I think it is unrealistic for NHTSA to regulate Robotaxis for 100% perfection until they regulate human drivers illegal and only Robotaxis that do not violate traffic laws, never suffer road rage, drive the posted speed, and communicate intent with other Robocars.