Running Ethernet Cable

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Anonymous99

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
USA
Does anyone know whether or not Dish would run Ethernet cable for a customer? I have weireless setup, but the signal is always really close to almost being nonexistent...

I don't think Dish, itself, would be involved in that..... They do have a product that might help you out there though......

Dish, no. Individual installer, after negotiation as to coin of the realm, maybe.

Cat5 or even 6 is not hard to run. Much easier than fiber, with it's more critical turn radius. Even a simple punch down tool will work fine for someone just doing a single home. If you're at all handy, go for it.

Contact an electrician. A reputable one will do a great job running cable through your walls. I had a cable run from the home office (2nd floor) through the attic, down to the basement, and up to the 1st floor media room for $150. It was much cheaper and higher capacity solution than a new router.

Just a thought... Do you have a cordless phone? If so, that might cause issues with the wireless. Some of them transmit on 2.4 ghz like the router. You either need a 5 ghz or the new dect 6.0 phones.

I figured they would default to the Powerline Connection, and I don't blame them either. I would probably do the same if I were them :)

I do have cordless phones too and they are DECT 6.0 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LYAX1G)--great phones, by the way!

I had an estimate to run a wire from an installer as an independent job, but I was quoted $200 to run one cable from a router upstairs to the attic above it, and down a wall two stories (to the first floor). The biggest problem the contractor was telling me about was that he would have to make an access panel on the second floor where he would drill between the floor joists of the second floor and the ceiling of the first floor. Honestly, I don't think I would have a problem doing any part of the job myself other than this whole access panel part. I can't decide if it's worth the risk to try it myself on my own house or if I should just get the professional to do it...

Are you using something like B/G/N ? You might want to restrict to one band. I had signal issues upstairs until I switched to "G" only. I do prefer wired over wireless, but thought it might help in the meantime.

Are you using something like B/G/N ? You might want to restrict to one band. I had signal issues upstairs until I switched to "G" only. I do prefer wired over wireless, but thought it might help in the meantime.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I have a G only router. Haven't taken the plunge to an N yet and I really don't quite see the need (unless I can't fix this Dish thing!).