running speaker wires through attic

gongura

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 5, 2004
Hi

I plan to run speaker wires for my HT through the attic. I recently bought 200ft of 16 gauge speaker wire. Just found through a friend of mine that the speaker wires need to be shielded if I plan to run them through attic and also I need a permit. Is this true? Is it unsafe to use non-shielded speaker wire in the attic. Please advice

Skip the permit but sheilded for what? Signal resistance, fire & smoke retard?

I guess I could see that, but I don't think it is law of the land, but I never hurts to go to the library or call local code office to find out.

I suggest library because the info is public record and calling code offices MIGHT get you on some list, but I doubt it.

Either way I wouldn't buy just any run of the mill cheap-o wire for radio shack or wal-mart on a spool.

Plenum rated Belden 6200FE New Generation is a great selection.

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/speaker-cable.html

don't know where you live. this is still America?!
you don't need shielded and you don't need a permit.
i would have run at least 14 or even 12 gauge depending on the watts and run lengths.

UH not really; being in America is precisely the reason to check code requirements; we are loaded with code requirements, mostly enforced per locality. If he ever sells that home it must be inspected, and if it has non-code legal installs and / or materials, he will not be able sell it and will have to pay to repair those violations or remove them. He also MIGHT even be subject to a fine depending on the inspector.

ALWAYS CHECK IT OUT!

The above is just plain non-common sense advise; all these guys posting "its my house" or "its my property, and I'll do what I want" comments are just plain wrong and crazy. It makes perfect 1800's sense, but no longer; really.

How would you really feel if you did a non-code electrical box install, sold your home and then it burnt down, maybe even hurt the next family, because of that box?

We have laws and rules for a reason, we may not like them all but the VAST MAJORITY are there for very good reasons. Granted I can't imagine any speaker only wires causing problems, BUT it is always best to check & then follow codes.

Last edited:
Yep, check on a permit

I'm building my house and Low Voltage wiring is part of the Electrical Permit. Washington State runs it's Electrical Permits through L&I.

Low voltage should be run at least a foot from house current. (My Electricians words, not mine.)

Here is what I used.. good value and sounds great.. for runs of more than 30 or so feet, most recomend 12 gague..

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=100-740

You may want to check with your local building athority about the code.. My local code did not require cl3, but my insurance agent suggested that I use it to save some liability should (however rare it is) the wire in the attic / wall burn the place down.. the cl3 would be covered in my policy.. as always your mileage may vary :)

jim

wow,I install HT and RF for a living, I have never heard nor run across a state that says a "homeowner" has to pull a permit to run speaker wire in the house. that would also mean you could not hook up the speakers to your stereo without a permit, just use a decent shielded, heavy jacketed form of 14/2 and you will be fine.:)

The people telling you to check with your local building inspector are correct. I came acros this little tidbit which may interest you.

"Starting Aug. 1, when the 2004 California Electrical Codes automatically take effect, residents will have to apply for a city building permits to replace or add wall, porch and ceiling lamps, light switches, electric receptacles, and other common do-it-yourself chores.

So changing that noisy electrical switch with a quieter mercury switch will cost a lot more. Besides the costs of the new switch, there'll be the $81 basic permit fee plus an additional surcharge of $2.15 for each receptacle, outlet or switch and--if you want to add more--$21.50 for altering or changing wiring.

Under the current city code, such small changes can be made without permits and inspections; starting Aug. 1, not so.

The exemptions are currently allowed under Chapter 19.30.080 of the city electrical code. City Building Officer Joan McQuarrie said there's a question about whether or not the exemptions could be incorporated into the new code.

"We're looking into that," said Deputy City Attorney Zach Cowan. "Generally cities are allowed to adopt more restrictive findings based on local conditions, but not less restrictive. But it never hurts to ask."

McQuarrie said that from her perspective, she wasn't aware of any problems from the previously exempted home repairs, "but that doesn't mean there couldn't be in the future. I think it's reasonable to exclude them, but we are bound by state law."

Activities which will no longer be permitted without a permit after Aug. 1 include:

* Installing hard-wired sound, intercom and communication systems.

* Connecting portable motors and appliances to permanent suitable receptacles that were previously installed.

* Installing wiring for temporary theater, television and film sets.

* Repair or replacement of fixed motors, transformers and appliances of the same type and in the same location.

The Housing Advisory Commission (HAC) considered the revisions during their meeting May 5 and recommended that the city adopt the new code while retaining the current exemptions.

woodybeetle said:
wow,I install HT and RF for a living, I have never heard nor run across a state that says a "homeowner" has to pull a permit to run speaker wire in the house. that would also mean you could not hook up the speakers to your stereo without a permit, just use a decent shielded, heavy jacketed form of 14/2 and you will be fine.:)

Are you and/or your company CEDIA qualified, and no nothing of local permits and local code requirements/enforcement? WEIRD! If you are NOT CEDIA certified, what is your certification? Please post your company info. OUCH!

Last edited:
I don't know about the code part, but I would think that shielded cable would really only be needed if you had to run the speaker wires parallel to any power wires. But that would only be to prevent bleed over from the power lines into the speaker wires. But that is only if you have to run parallel. If you can cross the speaker lines perpendicular to the power then you won't get bleed over.

But because of what was posted about California, I would still double check.

My 2 cents on that law, is that it is completey stupid to mandate a permit to change a light fixture. especially the prices they are charging. It appears to me that more and more people are going the "do it yourself" route and the govt is looking to horn in and make more money out of it.

i once worked for the city here before and had some home projects in mind so i asked the local code enforcement people about my projects. i asked about replacing the complete electrical system in my home and the only permit they said i would need would be for the main incoming electrical if i were to move the breaker box. i can understand needing a permit for that but for switches, lamps, etc? that's ridiculous.

anyways, i'm running 2 rg-6 coax pairs in to each room to a central location in the attic right above a bedroom closet / attic entrance in case i want to make a distribution closet in the closet. i also plan on wall fishing 12g speaker wire in the attic for my speakers. none which require a permit.

I work for my local City Government (Austin, Texas) About a month ago I asked about running speaker wires. What were the codes/rules/permit if needed. The Electrical Inspector informed me, that because speaker wire is a very low voltage, there are no code restrictions and no permit is needed. Now thats using speaker wire to connect up speaker systems.
But I do suggest you call your local building Inspectors.

All this permit stuff if bunk.

There is NO state in the union (except CA it looks like who as usual is stomping all over civil liberties) that has Low Voltage Permits. If he were adding an electrical outlet thats another story.

If you had to have some kind of Low Voltage permit EVERY Cable TV/Satellite/Phone/Internet/LAN install would have to have one before they could be installed and EVERY installer would have to belong to the Low Voltage Union in there locality. Commercial installs maybe different story as there more regulated.

So find some good speaker wire (several links posted) and low voltage wire away. Framing, Electrical (110v and up) and Plumbing improvements are the only things that require permits. Go ahead and call your local Building Inspector and ask if Stereo system speaker wires require a Building Permit.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)