Status
Not open for further replies.

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Western WV
I have heard that you can run voltage over coax. I am wanting to run low wattage hardware 1,000 - 2,000 feet away from where electricity is available. The wattage needed is around 15-20 watts. I am wanting to pickup a wireless signal on the hill behind my house. I have debated on whether to just swap a battery out every x days or just try to run telephone or coax wire. Electric wire is so expensive anymore and I have lots of coax/telephone wire in 1,000 foot spools. I even have burial telephone and burial coax so I can leave it on the ground or bury it. If I had to run electric wire it would be a huge expense for me. I am asking for advise so that I know how to hookup the hardware to a battery (I hear that deep cycle is the best in this case) and some advise on running voltage. The ac adaptor on the hardware is around 12 volts. How long would a battery last on 15-20 watts? I know that I can clip a cigarette lighter device onto the battery to run things off of it using a power invertor but hear that it is a waste of energy doing it that way converting it from DC to AC back to DC again. How can I keep it DC to maximize battery life? Solar and Wind Power is expensive as well and would not work well in my area as I have checked the charts.

Yes, power over ethernet. I've read where there were limitations on transferring data at around 330 feet. If I could get that to work well past 330 feet then that would also solve my problem but didn't think there was a solution for that so I am looking for the cheapest solution for power to the site.

Local solar panel recharge with nighttime gel cell packs are the best way to do this 24/7. The other ideas you mentioned are, no offense, silly to hilarious. Typical cost for these small wattage units for 12 Vdc range between $135.00 and $250.00. There are lots of suppliers on the web. To get AC from these do require a small inverter and yes, these are not very efficient but it is what works. If you are going to this much trouble, it would be better to build up a custom power supply from the solar DC and tap this into the device, bypassing it's AC converter. Just stay DC. My second choice would be wind unit but this is more expensive and I have not seen any small units that work as well as the small solar packs that mount on a pole.

Yes, power over ethernet. I've read where there were limitations on transferring data at around 330 feet. If I could get that to work well past 330 feet then that would also solve my problem but didn't think there was a solution for that so I am looking for the cheapest solution for power to the site.

Run a power wire. A 22 gauge wire is about 17 ohms per 1000 feet. If you run a 4 wire cable and double up the on pairs your down to about 17 for the round trip. I would use a 110 to 48 volt feed transformer, then at the remote site a 24 to 110 transformer to step it back to 110. Power Transformers
Use a wide voltage range 12v power supply like this one. SYS1319-3012-T3, Sunny Computer SYS1319-3012-T3 Desk Top Power Supply

Use proper fuses and enclosures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)