Rural Newbie: What Abandoned Dish To Snag?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Natedawg63

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 19, 2009
Alabama
I live around alot of rural area (boondocks) and I decided to go on a scavenger hunt today for BUDs... traveling about 10 miles I came across no less than 6 abandoned BUDs in folks yards/fields.

My first stop was to an old family friend that had a 10'-12' (didn't have my tape with me) BUD. He got into sats he said back when "everything was free" and when the sub packages came along, he left the hobby alone. This is concrete pole mounted with pig-iron polar mount (very rusty) and a acuator/motor. I tapped on the dish... it rang like a metal dish, but seems to have a fiberglass covering over the metal? He said I was welcome to it - has the old receiver and all. I think I have read that the old-school dishes from early 80's like he has are pretty decent to scavage? Jus wondered if I went to look at others... what are the good/bads to look for in those older dishes.

Another friend said I could get his 8' mesh... its newer (about 10 y/o) and has a acuator/motor... HTS - Houston Tracker something if I remember... dint write it down. Would I better off with a newer dish like this... less rust on the polar frame... nice dish, very clean?

Thanks in advance... Have a few more questions, but those can wait till I get a dish in the yard. Can say that I would love to do both C & Ku digital band and am a HD addict... so I know I will have to invest in some updated parts/receivers... jus not sure what to look for when I get to that area - will def need help.

Kind Regards...
Nate

one thing when you take a look at is how bad the mount is rusted some are almost completely rusted away.

another thing is fiberglass dishes are heavy , not trying to discourage you from getting them but they are..... try thinking about how you will move it.... also look at the age of the dish and see if any of the dish is having problems with age or sun .... some things become brittle with age and are weak. i would suspect that most fiberglass dishes will have to be taken apart to travel.

mesh dishes are light and usually easier to work with. both of mine i removed with my pickup and lightly strapped in for the short ride home.

take a camera write locations down and ask owners questions ( most of them like to talk about the old dishes)

what are the good/bads to look for in those older dishes.
i usually recover the ones that are in good shape , i have recovered one damaged one for parts.

I probably would leave the fibre glass dish alone, you can mention to the guy a dvb receiver is about $100 and he will get lots of free tv.

For the 8' mesh personally I would try to find a nice 10' or 12' as if you really get into it the extra gain will be required for certain feeds that the 8' will have difficulty tuning or not even see.

You want a dish with tight mesh, and try to find one with a tripod feed support and not a button hook, a solid dish is best especially on ku-band, keep looking don't rush, if you find two or three that you think are takers pull out the cam post pics and get some suggestions.

Yup... gonna throw my tape measure and camera in the car tomorrow and go investigating.

Have you guys seen a metal dish (the solid one I checked out comes in 2-parts) that was covered in a fiberglass protective coating (rust preventative)? Thats what this one seems to be, like I said, probably from early 80's... rings like metal, but has a protective FG coating on it? Perhaps FG dishes ring also... dunno.

Nate

You might take a scroll through this thread and see what folks are finding:
Adventures in Dish Hunting 2009

At least look at the pictures.
If you see something interesting, stop and read the comments.

That's also a good thread to post a couple of pix of a dish you are thinking of getting.
Of course, if you do snag it, then start your own thread to get more info and advice.

I have been reading the geo-orbit.org site - WOW... I actually understand a few things now LOL

I think when I decide on a dish - I want something like a Bullseye II horn or something that does dual c and Ku band... Then invest in something like the QualiTV receiver... I think thats the route I am looking for... able to receive HD FTA signals. I am getting the hang of it a bit... Jus hope I can find a FREE BUD that will allow decent Ku w/o too much worries... Shallower BUDs are better for Ku from what I have read so far about dishes. More reading!!!

Nate

Nate;

Grab a cheap DVB receiver off of fleabay ~$35, It will let you get some channels while you're waiting on the Quali to arrive. Don't overlook those old DTN dishes, great for fixed Ku. Do a search on Dish Farm here on the site and see what multiple dishes can do for you.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts