rural tv

An HD Channel is allocated more bandwidth than the an SD one. Consequently even the SD programming on an HD channel looks better than it does on the SD counterpart. I cannot answer the rest of the issues you raise.

This is another example of a contract. I have to think DISH has a contract to carry Rural in SD. The fact Rural decided not to remain the same channel it was when the contract was signed, only and SD channel then, doesn't mean they immediately now would be in HD.
On a somewhat similar note, there is some rumblings of Nick at Night carrying TVLand shows.

As for HD being better even for older shows, no question it enhances them.

This does bring up a question. Why not take away all the SD feeds and down convert at the box for those without the HD plan. Or hell just take away SD for good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
To many SD customers, transition costs, and in assuming because channel owners will likely still require the SD feed in their contracts. We all know how Disney wants to charge two fees for HD and SD.

Reactions: KAB
This does bring up a question. Why not take away all the SD feeds and down convert at the box for those without the HD plan. Or hell just take away SD for good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Plus, there are some channels that just don't broadcast in HD at all. You propose that they get dropped?

The reason that Andy Griffith looks so good on TVLand HD is because the film stock was re-transferred in high definition. Since film has no theoretical resolution limit, it's possible to get a great-looking HD transfer out of it. If FamilyNet doesn't have that sort of material to air, HD transmission wouldn't help much. Shows that were shot on videotape cannot be helped by HD transmission, as they're forever limited to whatever resolution they were shot in.

The reason that Andy Griffith looks so good on TVLand HD is because the film stock was re-transferred in high definition. Since film has no theoretical resolution limit, it's possible to get a great-looking HD transfer out of it. If FamilyNet doesn't have that sort of material to air, HD transmission wouldn't help much. Shows that were shot on videotape cannot be helped by HD transmission, as they're forever limited to whatever resolution they were shot in.
Some shows we're shot in film and transferred to video tape..aka startrek tng..nothing was shot directly on video tape

Film stock most definitely has resolution limits. Grain size. Cheaper film, larger grain, cruder picture.

But GOOD film stock had resolution (& perhaps color depth) greater than our HD.

Reactions: TheKrell
All in the Family
Maude
Cosby Show
Golden Girls
Sanford and Son
Good Times
The Jeffersons
Night Court
Barney Miller
Full House
Welcome Back Cotter
WKRP
...and the list goes on and on.
And they all look better when they are broadcast on a HD channel..you are mistaken...they were edited on videotape but were really shot in film

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)