Russian channels service loss

antennanyc

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2017
brooklyn, ny
a friend called me said his mother got a letter saying she would lose her Russian channels on 12/18/20. She has old receivers and using a world direct antenna - due to covid fears wont let techs come to house for free upgrade - will installing a H24 receiver work - I do mostly MDU work not up to date on residential stuff

No, she needs a new dish, and a new receiver. the channels are now on one of the "HD satellites", think it's 103. She needs the free MPG-2 "swap", just don't call it an upgrade.

Reactions: harshness
Yep ...

Need to upgrade her dish to a Slimline in addition to an HD receiver(s).

The original old legacy MPEG-2 based Ku band feeds from the G3C satellite at 95W for WD service will soon be discontinued. As they and their "quasi A3" Reverse Band mirrors at 99W are (or very soon will be) all moved and converted to MPEG-4 based A3 format to transponders on the Ka band at 103W.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

I doubt she needs a new dish. For many years Directv did international installs as Slimline + WD dish + SWM8 even for SD only subscribers. So she probably only needs to upgrade her receivers which they may be willing to do by shipping her replacement receivers. She would have to swap them herself or have a family member help her.

FWIW the channels are unlikely to be shut off quite as soon as 12/18 since the MPEG4 versions on 103ca were still in 'test mode' as of yesterday. They would need to make those live before they can shut off the 95W satellite, though even if they delay it a bit the end of the year would be a reasonable guess as to when Directv's lease of those transponders on the 95W satellite might finally end. Intelsat (who owns it) is eager to change its configuration to an inclined orbit to extend its life to 2026.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)