RV Dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JR_Baas

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 19, 2005
Auburn, MI
I have a 211K that I use for my RV. Currently we have a SD TV, so I am still using a Dish 500 on a tripod to receive 110 and 119. I think I read somewhere that I could point the 500 to eastern arc. If I want to point to 61.5 and 72.7, how do I figure out the skew, azimuth, and elevation for the 500?

I am thinking about upgrading to a HDTV in the RV, so I would need a new dish. I would like to be able to use one dish and point to both Eastern and Western Arc and just change out the LNB. What dish and LNB's do I need?

Here is a link you can use by inputting the zip code and satellite to find the angles: http://www.dishpointer.com/. Thanks.

I have a 211K that I use for my RV. Currently we have a SD TV, so I am still using a Dish 500 on a tripod to receive 110 and 119. I think I read somewhere that I could point the 500 to eastern arc. If I want to point to 61.5 and 72.7, how do I figure out the skew, azimuth, and elevation for the 500?

I am thinking about upgrading to a HDTV in the RV, so I would need a new dish. I would like to be able to use one dish and point to both Eastern and Western Arc and just change out the LNB. What dish and LNB's do I need?

Just from my viewpoint, I have used a DPP1000 all over the US with the exception of New England, using the WA.

Taking the LNBF off just to change cables from age, I wouldn't want to do that as part of the setup.

Just from my viewpoint, I have used a DPP1000 all over the US with the exception of New England, using the WA.
Taking the LNBF off just to change cables from age, I wouldn't want to do that as part of the setup.

I use a 1000.4 dish with a Western Arc (WA) LNB arm and a Eastern Arc (EA) LNB arm.

Yes, switching just the LNB heads would be hairy. That's why I bought another 1000.4 so I have one WA arm and LNB and one EA arm and LNB. When I switch from one arc to the other, I unbolt the arm & LNB from my 1000.4 dish -- not just the LNB. Note that in order to get that arm for the LNB, you'll probably have to buy another complete 1000.4, but they're cheap. Check eBay.

BTW, the 1000.2 which comes with WA LNBs can be converted to EA by purchasing the Twin LNB: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dish-Network-Dsih-1000-2-DPP-Twin-EASTERN-ARC-/261008870319

Anyway, having the choice of both WA and EA gives you several options that you don't have with using just a one arc:
-- Two spots in the sky to aim where it's possible to use both arcs.
-- HD locals: where I'm camped now the HD locals are on one arc (EA in this case) and the SD locals on another.
-- Better chance of sat acquisition in the Eastern US where EA elevations will be higher.

I use a 1000.4 dish with a Western Arc (WA) LNB arm and a Eastern Arc (EA) LNB arm.

Yes, switching just the LNB heads would be hairy. That's why I bought another 1000.4 so I have one WA arm and LNB and one EA arm and LNB. When I switch from one arc to the other, I unbolt the arm & LNB from my 1000.4 dish -- not just the LNB. Note that in order to get that arm for the LNB, you'll probably have to buy another complete 1000.4, but they're cheap. Check eBay.

BTW, the 1000.2 which comes with WA LNBs can be converted to EA by purchasing the Twin LNB: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dish-Network-Dsih-1000-2-DPP-Twin-EASTERN-ARC-/261008870319

Anyway, having the choice of both WA and EA gives you several options that you don't have with using just a one arc:
-- Two spots in the sky to aim where it's possible to use both arcs.
-- HD locals: where I'm camped now the HD locals are on one arc (EA in this case) and the SD locals on another.
-- Better chance of sat acquisition in the Eastern US where EA elevations will be higher.

Does the arm come off a 1000.4 or is it the whole skew assembly? I don't think I need 77 so a 1000.2 looks better to me.

Does the arm come off a 1000.4 or is it the whole skew assembly?
On a 1000.4 just the arm unbolts. On a 1000.2 the Skew Assembly and Arm are welded together so they both come off as one piece.

I don't think I need 77 so a 1000.2 looks better to me.
Yeah, on the face of it, aiming 2 LNBs looks easier than aiming 3 LNBs.

Last edited:
Satcalculator.net used to work great, I can't get anything other than "calculator only works in the Western Hemisphere" no matter what I try now.

You can use the coordinates for the regular EA dish. They're close enough to work.

I use a D500 on a tripod for my 5th wheel. I usually camp in the same park every trip. Sometimes I can get the dish pointed in 2 minutes, other times I've given up on 61.5 after only being able to "see" one location. Always with a clear view to the south, which is where the dish points here in New England. I will say the 211 is not the most user friendly for pointing. It's so slow to react to signal changes you almost have to give it at least 30 seconds between moves. And if it is storing a previous dish configuration, forget about it responding at all. Make sure to do a switch check without the cable connected to clear it.

I've used a 1000.4 with both EA and WA LNBFs for several years now along with a heavy duty tripod form TV4RV.com. I only switch the LNBFs out and that is not an issue at all. The tripod aids in easy set up. I could go to a .2 setup but like having access to all 3 birds on both arcs. Never know what Dish may put where tomorrow. I know some folks have said that the .4 is harder to setup than a .2 but I've not seen that and having had both at one point or another I think that the .4 can be peaked better. This is just my opinion of course. But think of it this way on either dish you're going sight one bird first then adjust sew for the other/s One or both of the other two are achieved by adjust scew off the axis of the first.

OK. What is the current dish for Western Arc? Dish Depot only lists the 1000.2 for both eastern and western arcs. Are they the current dish or is the 1000.4 the current dish?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)