RV SATELLITE TV QUESTIONS

DUCKWING

Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
North East Mississippi
I need some basic satellite TV education. I have a round Winegard antenna on top of my 2010 motor home. I parked in the WalMart parking lot and quickly found a good signal on 119. I didn't find 110 or 148 but didn't spend much time looking. Was just happy to find something.

Now for my education. In use, do I need signal from more than one satellite? Should I be able to do so with the round antenna or do you to have to repoint to get the desired channels?

When you say round, is it round with an arm coming up in front of the dish or like a dome covering? Most dome motor home dishes are motorized and will pick up only the sat you need for the channel you select. 148° is dead. If it is an normal dish, like the kind usually on a home, it may pick up multiple satellites all at the same time.

Posted the same in Directv forum.

Most of the onboard dish systems on rvs only see 1 sat at a time. Most use legacy lnbs which are interchangeable between directv & dish. However the legacy lnb when using directv will only see 101. Some of the fancier systems will run a check switch with dish & automatically toggle back & forth between the different sats depending upon the channel you tuned in. In my area I have yet to see 1 that will see 129, all I've seen will check switch 119,110 & 61.5 & not without running it a few times. If you have a manual with it, the best advice I can give is to read it thoroughly & understand its limitations.

I will quit looking for 148.

The antenna is a round manual elev/azi antenna with LNB. Not a dome version.

A couple of days ago I found 110 so know the system can get 110 and 119.

The manual that came with the RV gives minimal information regarding operation. Number of parts breakdowns and general info re determining and setting azi/elev angles. Manual says it will work with either Dish or Direct system. I will have to get on the roof to see if there is a Winegard part number and see if more detailed info is available.

I am suspicious as suggested, that this antenna will only find one satellite at a time (small, round and no slew angle capabiliy). If that's the case, how do I determine which satellite to lock on to for which Dish channel?

Where are you located? What receiver do you have? If you have a VIP model receiver (VIP211k is most commonly used in RV's) you can find most programming except locals on the 72.7 satellite. Not sure how well you can "see" this location from the West coast.

On the top of the page here there's a link for "The List". Click that, then find the "subscription TV" link on the bottom of the page. After clicking that link you'll be able to check off provider satellite locations and when you're done generate a list of what channels are at what orbital locations.

I am suspicious as suggested, that this antenna will only find one satellite at a time (small, round and no slew angle capabiliy). If that's the case, how do I determine which satellite to lock on to for which Dish channel?
Check out here: http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist/index.php?page=dishnetworksatellitemap&sort=tp

You will need to be much more forthcoming about the specifics of your receiver (i.e. the model number) to get the best advice.

Note that like most RV dishes that sell for under $1,500, your dish won't do DIRECTV HD but it should be able to do DISH HD just fine.

RV satellite setup for H21-100

I have a question on setup. For two years I have used my H21 in our park model trailer at our permanent site. Just had to hook it up and did not have to redo setup. Last fall at home I changed to the whole house setup -SWiM. This receiver is normally in our basement rec room. Yesterday I connected it in the camper and I am getting message 775 that the receiver is not communicating with the dish. I went to rerun the setup and this has changed so I need help. I am a novice. What needs to be changed to rerun setup to go back to the slimline setup with a straight run connected to RV using b band converter.

I have a question on setup. For two years I have used my H21 in our park model trailer at our permanent site. Just had to hook it up and did not have to redo setup. Last fall at home I changed to the whole house setup -SWiM. This receiver is normally in our basement rec room. Yesterday I connected it in the camper and I am getting message 775 that the receiver is not communicating with the dish. I went to rerun the setup and this has changed so I need help. I am a novice. What needs to be changed to rerun setup to go back to the slimline setup with a straight run connected to RV using b band converter.
You will get better answers in the Directv forum this is fior DISH Network.