RV Satellite

marconi

Original poster
Mar 2, 2008
Hi,

I understand the Vu Cube is recommended for use with single tuner receivers (i.e. the dish 311). But, does anybody know if it will work with an older dish 510 receiver (that has DVR ability, available remanufactured for $70)?

Also how about the VIP 211 (available remanufactured for $225 "ish".) No DVR, but it has off air digital capability to avoid a set top converter box after analog off air is gone.

Marconi

The 311/510 and 211 all use the same input frequencies 950-2150 so the signal is interchangable. What will change is the satellite you need to see110/119/129 & 61.5.

Thanks boba.

I've accepted the fact of being limited in the RV, though not by much with my current programming, to the 110/119 birds.

"The list" tab on this site is great!! Made me realize I'm not using the 121 or 129 birds for much anymore after my 1 year commitment was up and I went from dish top 250 to dish top 100, and HD Ultimate to HD essential. ($30 / mo savings and only "really miss" a few channels after 2 weeks).

I have a 510 remanufactured DVR receiver coming. Still debating on what dish to use. Either a dish 500 DPP/twin LNBF ($50-60 on ebay) and tripod ($20-30) and fussing with aiming it....or......the Vu Cube.

Is it as easy to aim a dish 500 on a tripod as people talk? Time is money for a camping weekend, but $700 is a lot of cash for convenience.

Thoughts?

Marconi

I have a tripod system and it is pretty simple as long as it is level. If you get one get a tall sturdy tripod and not the one foot ones some place sell. Level it and point. However being like you said valuable time, I am thinking of getting the 1000 dish mounted from winegard because of the HD. If I didn't the qube is a thought, however I have heard from the rV forums that they grow legs easily because there is no real way to secure them, also with the dish being so small their signal strength is kind of weak.

I am also thinking with the 500 portable of putting wing nuts on it for easier adjustment. I bought some but they were the wrong size. On the sad note diesel has gone up so much don't know how much camping we are really going to do. I saw it one place today for 3.85 up 20 cents since yesterday.

Last edited:
Nmfiredawg,

Thanks for your thoughts.

I hope, and expect, you will keep camping whatever diesel does. Maybe just closer to home....ha-ha. I'm a "gaser", though I have to buy premium for my tow mule (LQ9 6.0L engine, high compression), pulling 9200 lbs (33 ft) behind a Chevy Vortec Max pickup (ball hitch).

Anything mounted to the RV would scare me. I've read reviews of campers trying to jockie around there rigs for a clear view of the south sky. It makes sense to me to have something portable, within a 100 foot RG6 range.

My thoughts are also to think of ways of making a dish 500 easier to install and adjust. Going to try to reinvent the wheel (tripod). I ordered on last night off ebay ($52 new).

Have you checked out "the list" on this site yet? Some of the HD channels are on the 110/119. Do you need the 1000?

Agree with you point of the Vu Cube growing feet. Besides that, $700 for 1/2 dozen weekends per year is a lot of money. It could be obsolete in 3 years.

Thanks,
Marconi

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)