RV Setup

geezerglide

Original poster
Sep 5, 2007
OK I'm a newbe to this forum so forgive me if this has been posted a bunch of time before.

I have a 301 receiver that I use in my RV. I connect it to a portable legacy 500 twin dish. I have installed diplexers to allow cable tv as well as the dish signal. I get very good signals from 119 and 110.
The guide will download as normal.
However, the guide shows all red on the channel selections except PPV. I have run the check switch a couple of time without the dish connected to clear the receiver and a couple of tinme with. The Twin switch is detected OK. Any Ideas?
Many Thanks Geezerglide

I'm not that much of an old pro myself but I drag a travel trailer to the desert and setup a Dishnetwork receiver at every campsite.

What you describe is what happens when your receiver is not authorized. In past years if it had been too many months since the trailer receiver was powered up and connected to a dish, it could become "dis-authorized". I've ended up climbing a hill to get a cell phone signal and calling tech support so they'd re-send an authorization signal so I could watch something more than the demo channel. This has happened more than one time.

Get you RV receiver locked on an pour yourself the beverage of your choice, find a comfortable chair and call tech support. Eventually you will get to someone who will be able to re-authorize your receiver.

One other possible solution that just happened to me with my new trailer receiver: the smart card came loose during shipping. No one at dish could get me working and out of desperation I powered down and pulled out the smart card and looked it over and put in back in and powered up and viola! I as golden.

That was the problem. Thanks for the advice. Guess i'll have to keep the receiver hooked up in the house when not in use in the RV. By the way it took a couple of beverages while Dish re-activated the receiver - Geezerglide

What you describe is what happens when your receiver is not authorized. In past years if it had been too many months since the trailer receiver was powered up and connected to a dish, it could become "dis-authorized".

How long was that? My friend just bought an RV and was wondering.

How long?

I let mine sit about 3 months with no sat connection or power.
The RV sites I stayed at had cable. So, I got lazy and did not set up the sat. Never again. Now I leave the receiver hooked up in the house then grab it on my way out the door, set up the sat at the campsite, run check switch and I'm up and running!

The other solution is to hook it up when you prepare to go somewhere and get it reauthorized while you pack (but I've forgotten every time, so far).

Interesting question for any E* folk lurking. You could try it. It can't hurt.

The only thing I can think would stop if from working is if the online thing only allows on shot per receiver but that wouldn't make too much sense.

I dont think the online thing works like that. Only if you order a new receiver or something. You'd have to call and get them to send a hit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)