S-Video, component or rocker switch any time soon?

a_hockeynut

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 26, 2006
Rochester, Minnesota
I wish it had S-video output. I have a standalone DVD recorder, and prefer recording at the best quality input it has which is S-video. I realize since the microHD has PVR capability I could likely take recorded files from a USB connected hard drive on the microHD to the computer and burn DVD's that way. However past experience has shown occasional hiccups in that process (ie Visionsat), and so I prefer to use a method which has proven foolproof.

I wish it had S-video output. I have a standalone DVD recorder, and prefer recording at the best quality input it has which is S-video. I realize since the microHD has PVR capability I could likely take recorded files from a USB connected hard drive on the microHD to the computer and burn DVD's that way. However past experience has shown occasional hiccups in that process (ie Visionsat), and so I prefer to use a method which has proven foolproof.

If we develop a STB model with larger case, I would consider adding additional support for analog outputs. The PCB investment has been made for the microHD, so probably won't expect see any hardware changes unless required.

Looking forward to get component composite HD output plus On/Off rocket switch

Component output is goes through conversion to be analog and limited to 720P. HDMI provides full HD of 1080P and is digital transfer. Unlikely to see the component output added to this small footprint device.

May I ask why add a rocker switch? Once again, a space limitation benefit vs need. Would there be a benefit over simply unplgging the 12vdc radial plug from the chassis jack?

That's what I do when my modem or Router goes nuts, just reach back and pull the plug and push it back in.

Component output is goes through conversion to be analog and limited to 720P. HDMI provides full HD of 1080P and is digital transfer. Unlikely to see the component output added to this small footprint device.

May I ask why add a rocker switch? Once again, a space limitation benefit vs need. Would there be a benefit over simply unplgging the 12vdc radial plug from the chassis jack?

Whenever either one show up in the MicroHD I'll be the first in the line.

why would you need a rocker switch though? The a/c plug is removable behind the receiver so in the amount of time it takes to do a off/on with a rocker switch you could unplug and replug it back in from the receiver

It is easy to implement a switch for the receiver by plugging the wall wart into a plug-in switched outlet, or a switched power strip.

I will have my micros plugged into a switched outlet (a UPS in this case), so they can all be powered off and on easily.

Switches do last longer than DC jacks, but it's not a deal breaker for me. If I want to cut the power to make sure there's no voltage on the coax to blow out my switches when I'm testing and making adjustments, I'll just flip the switch on the surge protector.

micro or MAXIMCHALKO

I have switches and fuses on each power leg coming off my power buss Therefore I am sure the power is completely off. Most are double pole, so I can not get an isolated neutral crossed with a grounded neutral and short 100 amps DC through an inverter.

Once you get used to modular systems, I doubt if you would want to go back to the huge boxes.

AND PLEASE, this receiver was designed on line. We got what WE asked for. Hate and discontent are not needed. I WANT MY microHD! It is THE ONE I helped design.

If you want a MAXIMOCHALKO, please discuss that out of the microHD discussion area.

Last edited:
why would you need a rocker switch though? The a/c plug is removable behind the receiver so in the amount of time it takes to do a off/on with a rocker switch you could unplug and replug it back in from the receiver

I can see the plug failling as a result of becoming loose of extra wear usage. Similar to USB connectors. We can keep trying to explain other way around but the rocker is present in almost all brands.

Two items to answer the extra switch question. MY requests.:
Switches on the back are hard to reach in a motor home cubby, and they get bumped while moving. External switches on power strips/power centers last a long time and are put where convenient. DC cords often come with 90* connectors which seldom work loose.
My cubby for the receiver is only 5 5/8 inches wide and is 5 feet 7 inches off the floor. I need the smallest reliable unit I can get, that is not TOTALLY an RV unit. Few front or rear panel controls - remote to work at distance AND at angles.
This unit was designed by forum members -- My input was years before the design went public. I could go back through 500 posts and see WHO else put in design requests ---- 'nuf said - flames are hard to put out in a motor home.

With about 20 miles of lightning rod stretched from my drop transformer to the nearest sub-station, not using a quality surge protector or UPS (that includes a switch) will eventually brick anything containing SM components. A switch can actually be a liability too, I have had them wear out on other electrical equipment (power supplies, TVs, etc). Of course not all of us live in remote rural areas...

output of the power pack is 12v vs 120 from the wall outlet. with the power pack filtering the voltage into the receiver i would prefer switching the input to the power pack instead of switching the 12v in the unit. it reduces surges and voltage spikes into the unit. my best guestimate. charlie

I use a a switch panel and will use ferrite beads near the receiver. Of course, I will not use my inverter to go to 96V square wave AC then back to 12V DC. My TV has a ferrite filter cord. I am debating putting beads on the RG6. I was advised by a fellow ham that it would stop some of the static and might be a significant amount. My switches are on the drivers console and the receiver is 6 + feet above that. But when I get the receiver .... I probably will just run a quick jumper! I am going to take a second unit to a college reunion in 4 weeks, a portable RV set up with the small motor home. I will try to photo document its construction and then some RV setups / aiming.

Here's a question I have. Unless I'm reading things wrong, this unit only seems to have 2 types of video outputs..HDMI and Composite.

I have 3 front projectors, a cpl of tvs, but not a single one of them have HDMI inputs. So why would I want to purchase a unit like this, if it can't be connected to any of my display devices except thru Composite?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)