S109 is out

n0qcu

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Earth
For those the option, it is now there, YOU CAN TRANSFER TO THE EHD.

I have asked and they will send them over today. As always the release notes will appear on DISHsupport.COM and then I will post them here. :)

I hear this update works really good, so I am interested in hearing your feedback on the new software. :)

Scott Greczkowski said:
I have asked and they will send them over today. As always the release notes will appear on DISHsupport.COM and then I will post them here. :)

I hear this update works really good, so I am interested in hearing your feedback on the new software. :)

Is this the update that has been in beta testing and the one that you mentioned would probably be out in a few weeks to a month? Or is this just a minor upgrade before that one? Maybe they are working on an update now to allow interfacing with the 922 and GoogleTV.

Is this the update that has been in beta testing and the one that you mentioned would probably be out in a few weeks to a month?
Yes, and the reason I was saying a month was because if the beta testers found any big issues they could fix them before sending the software out to everyone.

In the few weeks that the public beta testers had the software no major issues were found.

IT'S A MIRACLE..FINALLY!!

After 6 months, we finally got the feature we should have had from day 1! I was beginning to really wonder if it was ever going to happen, since Dish was 100% silent & clueless about this whenever I or anyone asked & apparently they left Scott 100% out of the picture for this particular update as well as he's been recently stating a month, after stating 3 weeks over a month ago. Scott, your first prediction ended up being closer, thankfully as I DID NOT want to wait yet ANOTHER MONTH for this basic & desperately needed feature.

Once you've used the EHD archiving feature for years..it's just a normal part of what you do with your DVR daily & not having it for the last 6 months really sucked! At least I don't have to keep recording all my shows, sports, etc on my 722 & transfer them to the EHD & then plug it into the 922 just to watch them..glad those days are over! At least when my wife says "let's watch that episode of 'Blue Bloods' we missed"..I don't have to go upstairs to get the EHD or explain to her that I have to transfer it first from the other DVR hard drive to the EHD. This will be simply awesome now!

So, from what I've been able to see so far, it appears that this update was mainly for EHD transferring/archiving, which is just fine with me at this point. I also noticed some different things on the broadband screen & I actually got a green connection for the first time in a month or 2, which was pleasantly surprising..we'll see if that lasts..I also got the failed message a few seconds later..then green again. I'm sure that there are some other things included as always for stability, bugs etc, but I can't see anything else major that stands out after looking & playing around with the guides, menus, etc.

Let's hope the next update that Scott keeps talking about, supposedly due out in a month or so, that the beta testers are so excited about; will include all of the other missing features(basic 622/722 features) that we've been clamoring & begging for for 6 months now, including Google TV compatibility. I sincerely hope this basic feature update wasn't what these guys were all excited about..LOL! In the meantime, I'm very happy to have this feature FINALLY & don't want to complain too much!

I've transferred as many as 20 shows already with no problem & everything that transferred is on my EHD & works just fine. I just started another 20, many mostly in HD & it says it will take about 1 hour 28 minutes..hopefully all goes smooth & I don't lose anything.

Now I have noticed that if you've set it up to transfer your shows to the EHD & you're in the mode of selecting what you're going to transfer; if you have it in the "folders by title" mode & you select the folder of a particular show..it just checks the whole folder & it doesn't open the folder up so that you can then select individual shows from that folder, like on the 722 & I assume the 622.

So you have to select "no folder" to show each show individually, either alphabetically or by date, which is kind of a pain, but I can live with it. Hopefully this minor inconvenience/bug will be fixed in a future update as I'm sure they'll continue to fine tune the EHD archiving experience.

Now what's really bugging me & has me concerned, is that when I select the 922 hard drive in order to transfer shows..it's shows that my the 922 internal hard drive is only a 500 GB hard drive & that is the max available space. I know it's absolutely supposed to come with the 1TB hard drive..so either they majorly screwed up on what the software is telling me I have & it's just a glitch or I really got screwed for being one of the original & first buyers of this DVR 922 & I only got a 500 GB hard drive for some reason or we all got screwed..here's hoping it's the former, which wouldn't surprise me & hopefully they'll fix it soon.

It could also be that somehow it's only letting us use half the hard drive space available & that it won't recognize more for some reason & I'm assuming that there is only ONE 1 TB hard drive inside & not two 500 GB drives, correct? Maybe there is still another 500 GB available space that it's not letting us use or access, which would certainly be a brand new bug that I don't think anyone knew about until this particular update.

In any case, we need to know what's up..Scott?!

Is this why they've only been showing us a percentage of what's available on the DVR itself unlike hours on the 622/722? Online though, we can see how many hours we have available instead, so who knows?

Just looking for some type of simple, hopefully easy explanation & I'm wondering if this is what everyone is seeing too or if it's just me or just some of us lucky ones. I probably got the ONE 922 that they mistakenly put a 500 GB hard drive in just to test..LOL..just my luck!

If everyone else is seeing it, great, I'll feel much better & they'll have to give everyone an explanation as maybe we all got screwed & they'll have to correct it for EVERYONE! But if it's unique to me & not a problem with the software..I guess I'll be getting a new 922 with a 1 TB HD, which makes me very nervous, because mine is an original, updated & running smooth at the moment, unlike so many of you out there that are suffering with all kinds of bugs & problems & on their 3rd, 4th or 5th 922 already. I don't want to go down that road..but I want my 1 TB that I paid $200 for or they can refund my money!

Maybe my 922 or all 922s need to be re-formatted for the 1 TB amount of space & when they formatted for the first time, it only formatted for 500 GB for some reason? I also noticed on the Dish Website that where it mentions that it's a 1 TB drive, the "largest in the industry", it also has a little 2 linking down below to "recording hours are estimated & subject to change." Is it really possible that Dish is only putting in 500 GB hard drives in these 922s instead of the promised 1TB as clearly stated on their website? I sure hope not as people will be furious, demanding refunds or new 922s with the promised & advertised 1TB drive & Charlie/Dish Network is gonna have a HUGE mess on their hands & a gigantic PR nightmare! I thought my drive filled up pretty fast for being 1TB..maybe this explains it.

http://www.dishnetwork.com/receivers/hd/default.aspx

I still believe that Charlie owes many of us TRUE 922 beta testers at least a partial refund of the $200 + all of the fees we've paid out over the last 3-6 months(I got mine a few days after it came out in mid April), as I've spent almost $350 on the 922 without this basic EHD feature until today & without EHD viewing until July 27, which is not acceptable.

Also, just a tip for everyone..in order to check on the progress of your transfer, you can't go into the transfer section of your menu like you would on the 622/722, as it acts as if nothing is going on..rather just click on the external drive your currently transferring to(#1,2,3 or 4) on the main 'my recordings' DVR menu & it will tell you how much time is left..hope that helps.

Yeah man, down to 92% already, as my second batch of transfers is almost done..am I dreaming..LOL! I'm still a little afraid to just do the whole thing at once but maybe I'll try 30 next & then just go for it.

Anyway, I look forward to your comments & if I discover anything else, I'll post again.

Last edited:
The recievere does have a 1TB HDD. The advertising was in available hours of HD/SD recording (which was equal to the 500GB. The other half of the drive is for the VOD stuff (ie channel 1 and 501). We have known this since the beginning guys. Don't freak out.

I am sure that it has a 1TB hard drive, but I bet that 500GB is reserved for Dish's "Video On Demand" that is probably why we only have 500GB available to us to use.

hawker152 said:
Just checked on mine. It also says my 922 only has 500 gb of total space. Class action lawsuit to insue, or just an error?

Not an error the other 500 space is for the ppv movies and graphic interface of the 922.

Scott if I am wrong can you please correct me.

Yes half is reserved for DISH for VOD and other stuff such as the OS.

This is not a surprise and was talked about when it was announced.

The recievere does have a 1TB HDD. The advertising was in available hours of HD/SD recording (which was equal to the 500GB. The other half of the drive is for the VOD stuff (ie channel 1 and 501). We have known this since the beginning guys. Don't freak out.

I was really hoping that there was a simple explanation for this & I guess there is..thanks guys..but wow, they really need 500GB of space for the VOD & I guess the interface(I can understand needing space for all of the channel art, menus, etc) but isn't that a little excessive though? I'm just curious..how many of you out there actually knew this before today & this update? Can we opt out of the VOD, if we don't use it much or don't want to use it & just use the space to record instead? Yeah right..LOL! I know they advertised recording hours, but they also heavily advertised the 1TB drive & still do(bragging it's "the largest in the TV industry").

Where did Dish ever state that of the 1TB available, we will only have a total of 500GB available to record & they would be using the other 500GB for miscellaneous whatever they want stuff, as I & I'm sure many others certainly didn't "know this from the beginning" as I guess we missed that thread or memo or official statement from Dish on this. I've been following the 922 & anxiously waiting for it for years & I never saw anything about that until the last few comments, as it caught me by surprise to see 500GB available today after this update. Any links to where I can read more about this?

I just think it's a little misleading to boast about a 1TB drive when we can only really use 500GB for our recording purposes. They really need to be more upfront about that..plus, whenever I download a movie or show, it takes space away from my 500GB of space..you'd think they could use some of that 500GB for those downloads too somehow? I guess in the end, as long as the recording hours they claim are accurate, the size of the drive doesn't really matter, as many people probably don't care about that anyway..just glad I understand now.

Just as a reminder, how many HD/SD hours does Dish claim we can record on the 922? I've read over 1,000 SD, but can't seem to find the HD number & I don't remember what it said when I first got it..well, the DVR said 0%..don't remember what it said online for hours? I'm down to like 88% right now & online it says I have 82 hours 36 minutes SD & 10 hours 45 minutes HD available..so I'm guessing maybe 112, which is twice the 56 HD we get on the 722? By the way, how much actual available space is there on the 722s for recording, out of the 500GB available? I'm estimating 200-250GB or so just from when I've downloaded the full 722 hard drive to an external drive.

Now I understand where all that other space went to as I always wondered if they were just off on their calculations or on the size of the drive in the 722, as it never came close to 500GB in recordings & I didn't realize they needed that much space for everything else.

Anyway, thanks for the useful info & hopefully other updates will be on there way very soon & not take 2-3 months this time, as that's a very long time to wait for more of the very standard & basic features we all desire from our 'Flagship 922' & already have on our old 622/722s(like Google TV).

Hopefully they'll really take advantage of that 500GB of space & do some great & cool things with it someday!

I believe in one of the earlier tech chat this was mentioned. Remember when you first got the 922 that it took 24 to 48 hours for all of the vod to show up in the guide. The 922 was downloading the movies to your hard drive.

I know their was a thread on this forum about this but I can not find it maybe someone else can post the link to that thread

I honestly wouldn't hold your breath on that explanation. When have they ever been that open about a product?

And FWIW, my reciever was about 50% full the last time I looked and Remote Access says I have 431 hours 35 mins SD and 56hrs 06min HR recording time.

AND the Yellow and Blue IR remote buttons still aren't fixed.

Last edited:
I just wrote to 2 EHDs simultaneously. And not only can you determine space on the internal, you can on each external now.

I just checked th eDish Google TV page and the fine print no longer mentions any specific receiver butthe Logitech pages still say 622/722/722K only.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts