Openbox S9 Firmware recomendation needed

Gray1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 11, 2005
St. Louis, Missouri
I have an Openbox S9 that about three months ago started giving me trouble. I have jumpered the polyfuse and that has cured the LNB’s dropping out. However the picture still freezes up.
I can change channels and it will play for a few seconds then it also freezes up. I have done a master reset several times and reflashed the firmware. However I can’t watch it an hour without it freezing. I would like to try a different firmware version and was hoping that someone here would give me a recommendation. I am using the 12/2 firmware now. I need something with North American Satellites, that is stable, and that won’t give me lip-sync issues while recording. I was at the S9 firmware site but nothing seems to be current. I know this is an older receiver. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. This is kind of a last ditch effort. I fear it is the power supply.

Thanks
Gray

Keep in mind that none of the firmware is perfect but some is better than others. Both my S9s are running C2HS2-11-08-24:0679CMT and they work "reasonably" well, meaning that there are still some issues to deal with. One thing about it though, it's not like you have to pay to try other versions and it only takes a few minutes to load it up and try it. I've tried a couple of different ones but always came back to this one. Your mileage may vary!

Exactly and I am running the same sw as Lone.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Export your channel list first. Misc. Files > select TP_Prog. Save to USB.
That will save your channels, satellite programming.
Load new Firmware, should reboot automatically.
Load your channel list if this doesn't work for you.
Might want to back-up the abs file also. Just in case.(said this one is a clone killer)
Running OpenBox S9 - S12 06182012-America here. No problems.
Just the normal 'things I dislike' in how it operates. But that's pretty much the same for all versions.
As discussed here http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/287429-new-openbox-firmware.html

Last edited:
I'm running same FW as Lone Gunman. Its aka is S9_11_08_30.abs. After you load it, it appears as C2HS2-11-08-24:0679CMT in the Tools menu under Information.
I've tried many others but this one works well.

Thanks for the help guys. I have loaded the 6/18/2012 software. We will see. I have found the 8/30/2011 firmware here on this site.
Funny thing is the downloads from Satelliteguys does not working for me. It give me "ERROR: File not found." when I click on them.
Kinda wierd. Would like to get that 8/30/2011 file just in case.

gray1

ERROR: File not found
Yeah, just noticed that a little while ago. The manuals section is also "404".
Hope you took note of the warning (clones) and made a copy of your existing FW.

I'm good. I don't have a clone and I have backup firmware. I have flashed this a couple of times. So far the new software is doing great. No picture freezes so far. The navigation with "Favorites" I find is clumsy. Even worse (if that can be) than the original software. Picture seems to be a little better though. Time will tell.

Gray

No, But there's probably more clones than original in the market today. Must be wary of who you buy from. I bought mine only a few months before the 'flood' of clones. (hypermegasat) The only ones I have not heard of being cloned are the Manhattan RS1933 and GeosatPRO microHD. Probably because they have incorporated a software/hardware config that makes it impossible. Maybe being both are designed for the N.A. market also has some bearing on that.

I believe the clones had an eeprom instead of security chip,which was good enough to work with the firmwares prior to clone kill.
Actually I was looking for a clone or dump of the eeprom to fix my genuine s10 which was killed by the anonymousx aug 1 2012 firmware.At least clones would boot and work with old firmware,mine doesn't with the security chip removed.

My S9 runs all FW ok except for the S9-S12 06182012 from this site. It locks up the receiver and display shows AHAH. Using the serial cable with other FW fixes the box.

Export your channel list first. Misc. Files > select TP_Prog. Save to USB.
That will save your channels, satellite programming.
Load new Firmware, should reboot automatically.
Load your channel list if this doesn't work for you.
Might want to back-up the abs file also. Just in case.(said this one is a clone killer)
Running OpenBox S9 - S12 06182012-America here. No problems.
Just the normal 'things I dislike' in how it operates. But that's pretty much the same for all versions.
As discussed here http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/287429-new-openbox-firmware.html

I have been trying to load the S12 06182012 (Upgrade by USB) on my openbox S9, but I keep getting "Upgrade file is mismatch" error. It is currently loaded with C2HS2-11-11-27. Any ideas?

I think the problem is that the S9 come from many different factories and do not accept all versions of FW. A lot of the FW around is factory FW that has been hacked by 3rd parties. So just keep trying different versions until you are happy.
Also make sure you have a serial cable handy to bring your box back to normal after a particular FW crashes your box.
I had to install a USB to serial adapter on my laptop for that reason. Newer PCs do not provide a serial (RS232) port.

I don't know about that.
99% of the firmware was from the 3 main factory sites at the time.
There were a few oddball hacked firmwares to work on clones or other tweaks.

06182012 must be a hacked version. When you load it to a S9 and you turn off the box you will get the OFF sign in the front leds similar to Anonimous Red Giu. The box remains in a standby motion and never goes Off. This was created to keep time settings on the S9 by Anonimous. Non of the factory Openbox firmware came or have this feature

the 8-1-2012 anonymousx firmware would kill genuine boxes,I lost mine to that.
It was released by a beta tester that neglected to tell people it was for clones only.

I am still using 11-03-21. very stable and moves from bird to bird easily and doesn't have the long duration 'moving dish' display when it sees the new signal. charlie

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)