SA 8300HD DVR with SD TV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

TivoSaved Tv

Original poster
Jun 11, 2006
Has anyone tried to use an SA 8300HD DVR with an SD television? I am thinking of switching from DirecTv to TW in Columbus, Ohio because of DirecTv's awful PQ w/Columbus locals and the impending digital simulcast switch w/ TW but I will not actually get my HD tvs for about two more months. I also have a hard time with only 30 to 50 hours of SD storage when I am used to my upgraded Tivos with over 100 hours on each. I refuse to purchase anymore satellite equipment so I will not even consider Dish. One of my SD televisions does have a set of Component inputs but the other only has S-Video and Composite inputs.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated except for the DirecTv/Dish/Cable bashing!

BTW - I know I could just get SD DVRs and call TW back out when I get my HD TVs but I am trying to save the hassle of another appointment.

Thanks in advance!

I used my SA8300HD on a SDTV using a composite cable when I moved. It letterboxed my HD recordings with grey bars and I don't remember watching any 4:3 content to tell you how it behaved. The HD box will have a greater recording capacity for SD recordings than the SA8300 or equivalent.

The important question is, why don't you just buy the dual tuner TiVo since you seem to be a big TiVo fan? You will be completely frustrated with the SA8300HD in comparison to the TiVo interface. Personally i'm waiting for the Tivo Series 3 since I already have HDTV.

The other question is, what TWC market are you in? In Cincinnati I can exchange my equipment by taking it to one of the local offices without an appointment.

I won't buy the dual tuner Tivo for two reasons:

1) I am tired of buying equipment and if I use their new plan it will run $40/month for two tivos, plus $80 in upgrade fees.

2) The Dual Tuner Tivo only records one digital and one analog or two analog channels at the same time. It will not record two digital channels simultaneously.

I know there will be a period of adjustment with becoming familiar with the SA I just hope it won't be too bad.

I am in the Columbus, Ohio market.

You can hook up the component cables, but the 8300HD has to be confgured to display only 480i. in the setup menu. Time Warner usually will not hook up a HD box to a non-HD tv. The s-video should be no problem displaying the picture, but again, they may not install it at all.

TivoSaved Tv said:
I won't buy the dual tuner Tivo for two reasons:

1) I am tired of buying equipment and if I use their new plan it will run $40/month for two tivos, plus $80 in upgrade fees.

2) The Dual Tuner Tivo only records one digital and one analog or two analog channels at the same time. It will not record two digital channels simultaneously.

I know there will be a period of adjustment with becoming familiar with the SA I just hope it won't be too bad.

I am in the Columbus, Ohio market.

Maybe it's because i've had TiVo for nearly 7 years, but the interface on the SA8300HD is lacking and frustrating. I really only look at it as a stop gap for the TiVo Series 3. Fortunately in the Cinci market the SA8300HD is probably the best rental DVR around as far as reliability, but it falls short when it comes to wishlists, remote scheduling, and "ToGo" options. It sounds like the S3 would be a good solution for you, at least for one TV, when it's released.

You had not mentioned that you would be renting two DVRs from TWC and that would make a difference in my mind as far as renting vs. buying, but then again it all depends on how long you plan on using them.... Monthly fees for buying two S2DTs from Circuit City, Best Buy, etc are 19.90(+tax) total and will run you 99.99(+tax) per box after rebate (rebate expires July 1).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts