Sad day in baseball

Tate Satellites said:
Cave man "Johnny Damon" has signed with the dark side.
Thats all I've got to say about that!

I am really really beginning to hate baseball, it seems the yankees can just buy any player they want, I am a cleveland fan, but man did I love watching him play, went to pretty much every cleveland boston game there was here in Ctown, but now, I am turning my back on him! I hate baseballs system!

I think its great to see the Yankee's sign all that talent and still get eliminated in the first round of the playoffs!!!

I'm with you. I love to see them buy all those players and then come up short in the playoffs, especially when the World series winner has a payroll about half of what the Yankees have.

It is sadder that Boston one of the richest franchise in baseball could not sign him for the same amount. Red Sox fans don't cry foul. You make it sound like the Boston Red Sox have the lowest payroll in all baseball. Get over it and try to fill a whole in center field that was created by mis-management of the Boston Red Sox. Maybe just maybe if Theo was still there, Damon would still be in Red Sox uniform...

Sean Mota said:
It is sadder that Boston one of the richest franchise in baseball could not sign him for the same amount. Red Sox fans don't cry foul. You make it sound like the Boston Red Sox have the lowest payroll in all baseball. Get over it and try to fill a whole in center field that was created by mis-management of the Boston Red Sox. Maybe just maybe if Theo was still there, Damon would still be in Red Sox uniform...

Thats my whole point exactly. The boston management has went down the sh*tter every since the WS win.

Sean Mota said:
True that!:up

juan said:
I think its great to see the Yankee's sign all that talent and still get eliminated in the first round of the playoffs!!!

Ouch !!!

That's gotta hurt every year since 2001, LOL

It's great when a player that I really like signs with the team I really love. Have you ever noticed that over the past 70 years or so when an older player is in the twilight of his career and does not have a World Series ring they come to the Yankees to fulfill their dream? Roger and Wade figured that out real quick.

Last edited:
sidekick said:
This trade speaks volumes about loyalty in baseball, or rather ... the lack therof ...
Please. If a competitor of your company offered you a 30% raise to do the exact same job, you wouldn't take it? How about if that 30% got you an extra $3m a year?

If Damon broke a contract or went for the same amount of money, then you would have an argument. But in the age of free agency in ANY professional sport, it's just business as usual. It says nothing of loyalty in baseball but rather just the current state of things in sports.

cdru said:
Please. If a competitor of your company offered you a 30% raise to do the exact same job, you wouldn't take it? How about if that 30% got you an extra $3m a year?

If Damon broke a contract or went for the same amount of money, then you would have an argument. But in the age of free agency in ANY professional sport, it's just business as usual. It says nothing of loyalty in baseball but rather just the current state of things in sports.

Exactly!!

Originally Posted by cdru

Not only is the money from the Yankees better, the endorsements should probably be much more lucrative also.

Seems to me that the Yankees try to put a product on the field that the fans would be willing to come and see, or watch on TV. I believe that the Yankees sold over 4 million tickets last year. Most owners put the money in their pockets, while George puts it back in the team. I just cant seem to feel sorry for any owner of a Baseball team, they are all very rich. Let Mark Cuban buy the Indians, bet the payroll goes way and more fans attend the games.

uhlesses said:
Seems to me that the Yankees try to put a product on the field that the fans would be willing to come and see, or watch on TV.
Exactly. He's not building a team to win a championship. Well, he is, but he builds a team that sells tickets. That's why he has the luxury of going so far past the salary cap and paying the 40% penalty (IIRC) this year. He sells the tickets and the merchandise well enough to afford it.

cdru said:

I respectfully disagree. How much money does one human being really need?
When you're talking about the difference between 45 and 47 million for example, does it really matter? There was a time when sports were played for the love of the sport. That is no longer the case for most athletes now. I "do" have an argument here. One day you also may see it.

26 World Championships? They must be doing something right-The free agent buying wasn't around when a lot of those championships were won in the fifties. Stop your cryin and admit they are a class organization who know how to win.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)