Sad news for Cleveland Indians Baseball fans if dishnetwork doesnt add channel

I think the post by Claude is a good one. I really don't understand the arrogance of the Indians ownership. No matter what the attendance figures are, let's face it, Cleveland is still not a large enough market to sustantiate a network dedicated to just baseball.

And yes, Time Warner is in a win-win situation with this whole scenario. Much like what happened a few years ago when the Tribe moved the bulk of their games to FSN Ohio; a good majority of Time Warner's subscribers HAD to upgrade to at least Expanded Basic.

Don't get me wrong, I love watching the Indians, but I really would love to see both Direct and Dish tell the Indians, "screw you" and not sign up for this. Guess that's my two-cents worth on the matter

webbydude said:
I think the post by Claude is a good one. I really don't understand the arrogance of the Indians ownership. No matter what the attendance figures are, let's face it, Cleveland is still not a large enough market to sustantiate a network dedicated to just baseball.

And yes, Time Warner is in a win-win situation with this whole scenario. Much like what happened a few years ago when the Tribe moved the bulk of their games to FSN Ohio; a good majority of Time Warner's subscribers HAD to upgrade to at least Expanded Basic.

Don't get me wrong, I love watching the Indians, but I really would love to see both Direct and Dish tell the Indians, "screw you" and not sign up for this. Guess that's my two-cents worth on the matter

I don't understand how you come to the assumption that the Indians ownership is arrogant. They are just trying to maximize their revenues like any other company. Having their own channel has nothing to do with the size of the market. I also strongly believe that the Indians having their own channel increases the chances of their games bing shown in HD. Besides I would rather give my money to the Indians than Rupert's fascist Fox empire.

San Diego has been in this situation since day one of DBS. Cox cable owns the rights to broadcast Padres games, with the exception of one game a week on Sunday afternoons broadcast on KUSI. Until recently even that wasn't available on Dish.

time warner dosent own the rights to broadcast the indians games, fastball productions does, just time warner is the only one carrying them, and helping them get the channel up and going, but it was a non exclusive broadcast agreement!

first time poster- I'm in Erie, PA , a new Dish subscriber, and an Indians fan. In fact, the guy was on my roof the day the Indians announced the new TV deal.

My question- living in Erie, what is my regional team in terms of MLB Extra Innings? I cannot find that info anywhere.

I'm hoping Dish will pick it up; I'm willing to pay. But just in case...

thanks

The new indians network will not do a la carte for the same reason non-preimum channels will not do a la carte. Their revenue depend on advertiser with the maximum number of subscribers. For RSN in order to survive, they need to maximize their advertising revenue and the only way to do it is to get the maximum amount of subscribers. DirecTv seems to not care about this and just give them what they want... I do not know if this stragety will back fire on DirecTv but it seems like DirecTv tries to please subs and then stick them with the hike increase later. Charlie on the other hand will not do this and seems to go on the cheap right from the start.

Press release 2-23

CLEVELAND -- Fastball Sports Productions President Jim Liberatore today released additional programming details for the Indians television network, which will be known as SportsTime Ohio. He also announced that the long-time game day broadcast team of Mike Hegan, Rick Manning and John Sanders will return and will be joined by WKYC-TV Sports Director Jim Donovan, who will be the host for expanded programming to give fans even more insight into Indians' games and players. "We are finalizing the details on what promises to be one of the best baseball programming concepts that Indians fans have ever seen," Liberatore said. "Viewers will benefit from the features we are adding, such as High Definition to all of the Indians' home game telecasts [as well as to all of the over-the-air broadcasts that will be seen on WKYC-TV], more programming throughout the season and additional cameras to give the viewer even more to see. This will be a great package that lays a strong foundation for the expansion of SportsTime Ohio in the months and years ahead."
Highlights of the planned Indians programming include: Most games ever -- 130 regular season games, with an additional 20 games to be seen on over-the-air broadcasts by WKYC-TV; also eight (8) Spring Training games will be aired.

High Definition broadcasts with an expanded number of cameras: Fans will see baseball like never before with the addition of high definition production and an increase of two cameras to capture on- and off-field activity. From the first broadcast, crisper action from 10 angles (it was previously eight) and surround sound will help bring the baseball experience into the living rooms of fans.

Weekly program: A 30-minute program hosted by Jim Donovan will look at what's happening in Major League Baseball each week. Don't expect your normal recap show -- the discussion could get a bit irreverent. During the Indians regular season, fans can catch the show's live broadcast on WKYC-TV at 7 p.m. on Monday's with frequent repeats on SportsTime Ohio. During the offseason, Donovan will look at what's happening with players and the business of baseball during a weekly broadcast on SportsTime Ohio.

Liberatore said that Fastball Sports Productions plans to build SportsTime Ohio into a fulltime network that will feature original local programming centering on the interests of Ohio sports fans. Liberatore explained, "We believe there will be strong interest in programming that covers local teams and issues and that understands and speaks to the passions of Ohio sports fans. This can include high school, college and professional games featuring area teams, and other programming -- such as the best historical sports events -- that will be of interest to fans."

Liberatore also confirmed that negotiations are continuing with area cable systems and satellite distributors to locate the programming on those systems. "We believe that our proposals to these systems are fair and reflect the tremendous value of Indians programming, as confirmed in several different viewership surveys," Liberatore said. "We are working hard to ensure that the Indians games and the related programming are available to the widest possible audience, and we encourage fans to contact their cable company or satellite service to let them know they want to see the Indians programming," he concluded.

About Fastball Sports Productions

The Cleveland Indians Baseball Company Limited Partnership established Fastball Sports Productions in December 2005 as an innovative media enterprise to serve a variety of sports programming purposes. Its initial venture is to serve as a regional distribution network for Cleveland Indians baseball games and related productions. Plans are being developed to produce original sports programming that will be of particular interest to Northern Ohio sports fans

There was only a brief mention of Echostar, and a very pessimistic mention of Direct TV. Looks like they approached Direct first, and the reply was cool.

Doesn't look good.

another blurb to add:

"Liberatore also confirmed that negotiations are continuing with satellite distributors. Fans who subscribe to the Major League Baseball package will receive Indians games just as they did in 2005. Liberatore said he "sees no reason" why DirecTV would not carry the Tribe.

Why no mention of Dish?

Here's the biggest problem...nobody is doing ala carte...so that means Time Warner has essentially a lock on the bulk of the games. Latest subscription estimates shows that there will only be 900,000 households eligible for this channel. And out of those, I wonder how many of those home will actually tune in? Not exactly a huge revenue.

Trev19 said:
02/03/2006 1:10 PM ET
Liberatore to lead Fastball Sports
Name, logo of new Tribe television network to come soon

Looks like the games will not be broadcast on Fox Sports Ohio, This sucks cause Dish Network might not carry this new channel thats coming out.

Source: http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/NA...t_id=1305869&vkey=news_cle&fext=.jsp&c_id=cle

My Thoughts: Dish needs to add this channel to all Ohioians cause im not paying 150 dollars for MLB pack just to watch one damn team.
Don't do it..Purchase the MLB pack I mean..The games would be blacked out on the package anyway.....Wait for the options to present themselves..You may be switching to DTV or cable if you are that dedicated a Tribe fan.....Reason I say this is, If Dish deals with the new Indians Net the same as the YES net in NYC, yer out of luck....But just wait and see

Last edited:
tomyo10 said:
first time poster- I'm in Erie, PA , a new Dish subscriber, and an Indians fan. In fact, the guy was on my roof the day the Indians announced the new TV deal.

My question- living in Erie, what is my regional team in terms of MLB Extra Innings? I cannot find that info anywhere.

I'm hoping Dish will pick it up; I'm willing to pay. But just in case...

thanks
I'll take a stab..Based on what teams claim the Charlotte ,NC area as their markets....Defintely the Reds and indians..I would also guess you are in the Pirates market as well......you can call dish and they will tell you ....That's how I found out that I am in ....sitting down?......in the teritory of FOUR TEAMS.....According to MLB we are in the markets of the Reds, Nationals, Braves and Orioles.....So, all games involving those teams would be blacked out on the MLB pacakge....How MLB determines a market is a mystery.....
I guess they think that if I can't view a game on tv, I'll just hop in the car and drive 6 hours to Washington DC to catch a game....Or better yet, 7 hrs to Balt...
My thinking is this..If I am in a teams market their games should be made available on tv..If no OTA station or pay channel offers the event, then I'm NOT in that team's market.....I am a Mets fan and every time the Mets play the Nationals I can't get the game unless it's on WPI:mad:I have the supers package).....Some of the Orioles games are on Comcast Sports Net and they are available here..As are some of the Reds games on FOX CIN.....

From Scout.com, only mention is of Directv, not Dish network, I am thinking that is not a good sign at all!

Fastball Sports Productions has even bigger hopes and plans than the Cleveland Indians entering the 2006 season. Unlike the Tribe, which is coming off 93 wins a year ago and is considered a championship contender, the new television outlet is an expansion club scrambling to get ready for its first game.

The good news is they've got a veteran group of announcers, producers, directors, cameramen and technicians ready to take the field. It's basically the same entourage that has delivered Tribe telecasts for years.

The unsettling aspect at the moment is that fans are worried about rate hikes or that their cable companies will simply refuse to add the new network to their packages.

Fastball Sports Productions president Jim Liberatore explained programming details for the fledgling network, which is called SportsTime Ohio.

He also announced that the long-time game broadcast team of former big-leaguers Mike Hegan and Rick Manning and veteran play-by-play announcer John Sanders will return. They will be joined by WKYC-TV (Channel 3) sports director Jim Donovan, who will be the pregame host.

This will be Hegan's 18th season, Manning's 17th year and Sanders' 16th with the Indians.

"We are finalizing the details on what promises to be one of the best baseball programming concepts that Indians fans have ever seen," Liberatore said. "Viewers will benefit from the features we are adding, such as High Definition to all of the Indians' home game telecasts (as well as to all of the 20 over-the-air broadcasts that will be seen on WKYC-TV), more programming throughout the season and additional cameras. This will be a great package that lays a strong foundation for the expansion of SportsTime Ohio in the months and years ahead."

Liberatore attempted to ease the anxiety among fans who are worried that their local cable outlet will not show Tribe games this year -- or raise rates significantly in order to do so.

Right now, only 900,000 subscribers of Time Warner Cable in Ohio are assured of being able to see the Indians' cable telecasts this season, but Liberatore said discussions are ongoing with numerous other outlets.

"We are confident that by opening day, we will have at least 90 percent of the Cleveland area covered," he said.

"We sent term sheets out (to cable providers) only 2 1/2 weeks ago. The delay was our fault because of late startup, but we are making up ground with every operator and moving at an advanced pace."

As for possible rate hikes, Liberatore believes the product will be worth it.

"I understand companies wanting to keep their rates down, but this is not the product with which to make that decision," he said. "This will be the highest rated program in the market."

Highlights of the planned programming include:

*** 130 regular season games, with an additional 20 games to be seen on over-the-air broadcasts by WKYC-TV (with Donovan doing the play-by-play); also eight spring training games will be aired.

*** High Definition broadcasts with an expanded number of cameras (10, two more than in the past). Liberatore said fans with HDTV capability will see baseball like never before and also have surround sound that brings the experience of being at the game into viewers' homes.

*** A 30-minute program hosted each week by Donovan will look at what's happening around Major League Baseball. During the regular season, the show will be shown live each Monday at 7 p.m. on WKYC-TV and repeated frequently on SportsTime Ohio. During the off-season, Donovan will look at what's happening with players and the business of baseball during a weekly broadcast on SportsTime Ohio.

Liberatore said plans are to build SportsTime Ohio into a fulltime network that will feature original local programming centering on the interests of Ohio sports fans. That could include coverage of high school powerhouses like Cleveland St. Ignatius and Lakewood St. Edward in various sports, Mid-American Conference college sports and Cleveland State University sports.

"We believe there will be strong interest in programming that covers local teams and issues and that understands and speaks to the passions of Ohio sports fans," Liberatore said. "But above all of that -- we are going to do nothing but get the Indians' programming right."

Liberatore said that rather than telecasting minor-league games, the network would concentrate on trying to provide a look at individual players in the Indians' farm system. He said that just because some Tribe minor-league teams (Akron, Lake County and Mahoning Valley) may be in the Ohio viewing area, telecasts of complete games would be unlikely -- though Donovan and others may give reports on various prospects on those clubs in addition to players at Triple-A Buffalo, Class A Kinston or Rookie League Burlington.

Liberatore also confirmed that negotiations are continuing with satellite distributors. Fans who subscribe to the Major League Baseball package will receive Indians games just as they did in 2005. Liberatore said he "sees no reason" why DirecTV would not carry the Tribe.

"We believe our proposals to these systems are fair and reflect the tremendous value of Indians programming, as confirmed in several different viewership surveys," Liberatore said.

The total 158-game package will be the largest in club history -- with 83 of those games being shown in HD.

The schedule begins with eight spring training games, six of which will be shown on a tape-delayed basis. Liberatore said the reason for that is because those games are also being tape- delayed on the Indians radio network and the new TV entity did not want to give results ahead of time (even though Internet and all other news outlets will have provided reports long beforehand on those days).

Here's the spring training TV schedule:
March 12 vs. Yankees (delayed to 4:30 p.m.)
March 13 vs. Devil Rays (delayed to 7 p.m.)
March 14 vs. Blue Jays (delayed to 7 p.m.)
March 16 vs. Twins (delayed to 8 p.m.)
March 18 vs. Astros (live at 1 p.m.)
March 29 vs. Astros (live at 1 p.m.)
March 30 vs. Tigers (delayed to 8 p.m.)
March 31 vs. Reds (delayed to 7 p.m.)

The Indians will open the 2006 regular season Sunday, April 2 on ESPN's Sunday Night Baseball at 8:05 p.m. from Chicago against the defending champion White Sox.

SportsTime Ohio will make its regular season broadcast premiere on Tuesday, April 4 at 2:05 p.m. from Chicago.

The Indians' first game on WKYC-TV3 will be the home opener at Jacobs Field on Friday, April 7 at 3:05 p.m.

Cleveland's WJW-TV8 and FOX Sports National are scheduled to broadcast two Indians Saturday contests in 2006:
June 3 vs. Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim at 1:20 p.m.
June 10 at Chicago White Sox, 1:20 p.m.

In addition to the season opener on April 2, the Indians are scheduled to be on ESPN's Sunday Night Baseball on April 30 against the Texas Rangers at 8 p.m.

Here's the schedule of games on "free" TV, WKYC, Channel 3 in Cleveland:
April 7 vs. Minnesota, 3:05 p.m.
April 23 at Kansas City, 2:10 p.m.
May 14 vs. Detroit, 1:05 p.m.
May 21 vs. Pittsburgh, 1:05 p.m.
May 29, vs. Chicago White Sox, 1:05 p.m.
June 4, vs. Los Angeles Angels, 1:05 p.m.
June 13, at New York Yankees, 7:05 p.m.
June 25, vs. Cincinnati, 1:05 p.m.
July 3, vs. New York Yankees, 7:05 p.m.
July 16, at Minnesota, 2:10 p.m.
July 19, at Los Angeles Angels, 3:35 p.m.
July 30 vs. Seattle, 1:05 p.m.
Aug. 1, at Boston, 7:05 p.m.
Aug. 6, at Detroit, 1:05 p.m.
Aug. 13, vs. Kansas City, 1:05 p.m.
Aug. 27, vs. Detroit, 1:05 p.m.
Sept. 3, at Texas, 2:05 p.m.
Sept. 8, at Chicago White Sox, 8:30 p.m.
Sept. 10, at Chicago White Sox, 2:05 p.m.
Oct. 1, vs. Tampa Bay, 1:05 p.m.

Broadcast dates and times are subject to change. Fans are encouraged to call their local cable or satellite providers to inquire about the availability of Tribe telecasts.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For more great Cleveland stories click the Scout.com logo in the right column or go here:

stuart628 said:
From Scout.com, only mention is of Directv, not Dish network, I am thinking that is not a good sign at all!

Fastball Sports Productions has even bigger hopes and plans than the Cleveland Indians entering the 2006 season. Unlike the Tribe, which is coming off 93 wins a year ago and is considered a championship contender, the new television outlet is an expansion club scrambling to get ready for its first game.

The good news is they've got a veteran group of announcers, producers, directors, cameramen and technicians ready to take the field. It's basically the same entourage that has delivered Tribe telecasts for years.

The unsettling aspect at the moment is that fans are worried about rate hikes or that their cable companies will simply refuse to add the new network to their packages.

Fastball Sports Productions president Jim Liberatore explained programming details for the fledgling network, which is called SportsTime Ohio.

He also announced that the long-time game broadcast team of former big-leaguers Mike Hegan and Rick Manning and veteran play-by-play announcer John Sanders will return. They will be joined by WKYC-TV (Channel 3) sports director Jim Donovan, who will be the pregame host.

This will be Hegan's 18th season, Manning's 17th year and Sanders' 16th with the Indians.

"We are finalizing the details on what promises to be one of the best baseball programming concepts that Indians fans have ever seen," Liberatore said. "Viewers will benefit from the features we are adding, such as High Definition to all of the Indians' home game telecasts (as well as to all of the 20 over-the-air broadcasts that will be seen on WKYC-TV), more programming throughout the season and additional cameras. This will be a great package that lays a strong foundation for the expansion of SportsTime Ohio in the months and years ahead."

Liberatore attempted to ease the anxiety among fans who are worried that their local cable outlet will not show Tribe games this year -- or raise rates significantly in order to do so.

Right now, only 900,000 subscribers of Time Warner Cable in Ohio are assured of being able to see the Indians' cable telecasts this season, but Liberatore said discussions are ongoing with numerous other outlets.

"We are confident that by opening day, we will have at least 90 percent of the Cleveland area covered," he said.

"We sent term sheets out (to cable providers) only 2 1/2 weeks ago. The delay was our fault because of late startup, but we are making up ground with every operator and moving at an advanced pace."

As for possible rate hikes, Liberatore believes the product will be worth it.

"I understand companies wanting to keep their rates down, but this is not the product with which to make that decision," he said. "This will be the highest rated program in the market."

Highlights of the planned programming include:

*** 130 regular season games, with an additional 20 games to be seen on over-the-air broadcasts by WKYC-TV (with Donovan doing the play-by-play); also eight spring training games will be aired.

*** High Definition broadcasts with an expanded number of cameras (10, two more than in the past). Liberatore said fans with HDTV capability will see baseball like never before and also have surround sound that brings the experience of being at the game into viewers' homes.

*** A 30-minute program hosted each week by Donovan will look at what's happening around Major League Baseball. During the regular season, the show will be shown live each Monday at 7 p.m. on WKYC-TV and repeated frequently on SportsTime Ohio. During the off-season, Donovan will look at what's happening with players and the business of baseball during a weekly broadcast on SportsTime Ohio.

Liberatore said plans are to build SportsTime Ohio into a fulltime network that will feature original local programming centering on the interests of Ohio sports fans. That could include coverage of high school powerhouses like Cleveland St. Ignatius and Lakewood St. Edward in various sports, Mid-American Conference college sports and Cleveland State University sports.

"We believe there will be strong interest in programming that covers local teams and issues and that understands and speaks to the passions of Ohio sports fans," Liberatore said. "But above all of that -- we are going to do nothing but get the Indians' programming right."

Liberatore said that rather than telecasting minor-league games, the network would concentrate on trying to provide a look at individual players in the Indians' farm system. He said that just because some Tribe minor-league teams (Akron, Lake County and Mahoning Valley) may be in the Ohio viewing area, telecasts of complete games would be unlikely -- though Donovan and others may give reports on various prospects on those clubs in addition to players at Triple-A Buffalo, Class A Kinston or Rookie League Burlington.

Liberatore also confirmed that negotiations are continuing with satellite distributors. Fans who subscribe to the Major League Baseball package will receive Indians games just as they did in 2005. Liberatore said he "sees no reason" why DirecTV would not carry the Tribe.

"We believe our proposals to these systems are fair and reflect the tremendous value of Indians programming, as confirmed in several different viewership surveys," Liberatore said.

The total 158-game package will be the largest in club history -- with 83 of those games being shown in HD.

The schedule begins with eight spring training games, six of which will be shown on a tape-delayed basis. Liberatore said the reason for that is because those games are also being tape- delayed on the Indians radio network and the new TV entity did not want to give results ahead of time (even though Internet and all other news outlets will have provided reports long beforehand on those days).

Here's the spring training TV schedule:
March 12 vs. Yankees (delayed to 4:30 p.m.)
March 13 vs. Devil Rays (delayed to 7 p.m.)
March 14 vs. Blue Jays (delayed to 7 p.m.)
March 16 vs. Twins (delayed to 8 p.m.)
March 18 vs. Astros (live at 1 p.m.)
March 29 vs. Astros (live at 1 p.m.)
March 30 vs. Tigers (delayed to 8 p.m.)
March 31 vs. Reds (delayed to 7 p.m.)

The Indians will open the 2006 regular season Sunday, April 2 on ESPN's Sunday Night Baseball at 8:05 p.m. from Chicago against the defending champion White Sox.

SportsTime Ohio will make its regular season broadcast premiere on Tuesday, April 4 at 2:05 p.m. from Chicago.

The Indians' first game on WKYC-TV3 will be the home opener at Jacobs Field on Friday, April 7 at 3:05 p.m.

Cleveland's WJW-TV8 and FOX Sports National are scheduled to broadcast two Indians Saturday contests in 2006:
June 3 vs. Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim at 1:20 p.m.
June 10 at Chicago White Sox, 1:20 p.m.

In addition to the season opener on April 2, the Indians are scheduled to be on ESPN's Sunday Night Baseball on April 30 against the Texas Rangers at 8 p.m.

Here's the schedule of games on "free" TV, WKYC, Channel 3 in Cleveland:
April 7 vs. Minnesota, 3:05 p.m.
April 23 at Kansas City, 2:10 p.m.
May 14 vs. Detroit, 1:05 p.m.
May 21 vs. Pittsburgh, 1:05 p.m.
May 29, vs. Chicago White Sox, 1:05 p.m.
June 4, vs. Los Angeles Angels, 1:05 p.m.
June 13, at New York Yankees, 7:05 p.m.
June 25, vs. Cincinnati, 1:05 p.m.
July 3, vs. New York Yankees, 7:05 p.m.
July 16, at Minnesota, 2:10 p.m.
July 19, at Los Angeles Angels, 3:35 p.m.
July 30 vs. Seattle, 1:05 p.m.
Aug. 1, at Boston, 7:05 p.m.
Aug. 6, at Detroit, 1:05 p.m.
Aug. 13, vs. Kansas City, 1:05 p.m.
Aug. 27, vs. Detroit, 1:05 p.m.
Sept. 3, at Texas, 2:05 p.m.
Sept. 8, at Chicago White Sox, 8:30 p.m.
Sept. 10, at Chicago White Sox, 2:05 p.m.
Oct. 1, vs. Tampa Bay, 1:05 p.m.

Broadcast dates and times are subject to change. Fans are encouraged to call their local cable or satellite providers to inquire about the availability of Tribe telecasts.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For more great Cleveland stories click the Scout.com logo in the right column or go here:

" As for possible rate hikes, Liberatore believes the product will be worth it."...
Yeah ,sure....I read this as.".Look we are the only one showing these games and you'll pay whatever we tell you or you're out of luck'..

Then there's this beauty....""I understand companies wanting to keep their rates down, but this is not the product with which to make that decision," he said. "This will be the highest rated program in the market."
In other words..attention Indians fans, get ready to bend over and grab your ankles....
This Libertore guy has rocks in his head if he actually thinks a baseball game will ever be the highest rated program in a time slot....Maybe on a Saturday afternoon and provided they are facing the Yankees or Red Sox....
I feeel sorry for al Indians fans in ther Cleveland area....I am going to theorize here....I think thr Indians management is looking at TV as a necessary evil...the may have the idea that by making televised games as expensive as possible they will entice more people to buy tix for the games...Rememeber the Indians sold out every game at Jacobs field for several years.....In any event I will make a prediction..Charlie ain't goin for this...
Dish will not add this channel to their lineup if it going to cost them money.Dish won't pass any increase along to the custs..this because the rates just went up...They wouldn't do it for the Yankees..For Tribe fans' sake I hope I am wrong.....

I just heard Bob DiBiasio of the Indians talking to Mark Schwarb on WTAM saying the the contracts were all being negotiated and he expects that everyone who received the Indians broadcasts last will year will get them this year with only the possiblity of a small block or two of early holdouts who could miss a game or two.

Without alluding to their partnership with Time Warner, he said the biggest local cable provider has signed on and accepted their fair requested charge per customer. He went on to mention that since the Indians are the highest rated local summer program every provider would do what was necessary to carry the Indian's broadcasts.

Obviously Bobby D doesn't know Charlie Ergen and DISH Network. There is no way that Charlie will pay the ESPN type money they are looking for. I'm hoping to see the games through Adelphia which is my internet provider and local cable company. I hold no hope that DISH will carry the Indians.

grumpy1 said:
I just heard Bob DiBiasio of the Indians talking to Mark Schwarb on WTAM saying the the contracts were all being negotiated and he expects that everyone who received the Indians broadcasts last will year will get them this year with only the possiblity of a small block or two of early holdouts who could miss a game or two.

Without alluding to their partnership with Time Warner, he said the biggest local cable provider has signed on and accepted their fair requested charge per customer. He went on to mention that since the Indians are the highest rated local summer program every provider would do what was necessary to carry the Indian's broadcasts.

Obviously Bobby D doesn't know Charlie Ergen and DISH Network. There is no way that Charlie will pay the ESPN type money they are looking for. I'm hoping to see the games through Adelphia which is my internet provider and local cable company. I hold no hope that DISH will carry the Indians.
I agree..E* won't pay up....they look at the figures and if the cost of the channel spread amongst all Subs requires a rate increase or too much cost to absorb, it's a non starter..Indians fans will be dropping dish like they just picked up a bag of dog crap....i guess E* figures on a loss of a small percentage of subs..i wonder how many of those subs are in DHA 18's and will be willing to accept a backcharge..That's probabaly one of the reasons why E* isn't concerned about losing those pissed off subs...
As other sports teams jump on the "boutique' channel bandwagon, this scenario will probably repeat itself many times.
Some thing has to give..If the customers see that they are losing access to sports teams thru their chosen delivery system, thye wil eihter switch to who evrer carries the service or they wil refuse to pay and do without..My thinking is most fans will choose the fornmer...IMO this HAS to raise a red flag to E* ......

OK- I guess my "home team" is Pittsburgh. If I get MLB Extra Innings, and the Indians games are on TWC locally, do I still get blacked out?

I tried talking to a "MLB Extra Innings expert" at Dish, and she's telling me the "matches" may or may not be blacked out. It depends on whether the Indians give permission to show them or not.

So, my question is still not answered. I will say this, though: I will dump Dish regardless of the penalties. The Indians on TV in the summer is what I do.

Still no word of additional cable co. agreements. The Indians have now resorted to full page ads in The Plain Dealer encouraging fans to call their local cable company and demand carriage. Seems to me that they're getting a bit worried. Still hope that cheapskate Dolan loses his ass.

Didn't the Twins try this last year with their own Baseball TV Network and fail. I think a month or two into the season they finally gave up and resigned up again with FSN North. I would not be surprised if the same thing happens here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)