Sadoun PowerTech DG280

Status
Please reply by conversation.

searay43

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 9, 2006
Republic, Washington
I was wandering if anyone was using a Sadoun PowerTech DG280 and if so how do you like it? I had to send back my new sg2100 for repair today as it developed serious issues after a few days of use. I’m looking at getting another motor and saw this one, which looks like a nice motor. I couldn’t find any reviews so I thought I would ask, thanks.

There is also suppose to be a DG380 coming out, he said that it would be at the end of February but I do not see it on his website. It is suppose to be an even heavier duty version of the SG2100. I would really like to see if it could move my Winegard 1m reliably.

There is also suppose to be a DG380 coming out, he said that it would be at the end of February but I do not see it on his website. It is suppose to be an even heavier duty version of the SG2100. I would really like to see if it could move my Winegard 1m reliably.

Yes I read about that motor, I went ahead and ordered the DG280. It looks like a nice motor, can't wait to try it out. :D

I was wandering if anyone was using a Sadoun PowerTech DG280 and if so how do you like it? I had to send back my new sg2100 for repair today as it developed serious issues after a few days of use. I’m looking at getting another motor and saw this one, which looks like a nice motor. I couldn’t find any reviews so I thought I would ask, thanks.

What type of "serious issues" were you seeing with your sg2100?

What type of "serious issues" were you seeing with your sg2100?

The problems with the motor started about 5 days after I set it up; it was mounted to a 36 inch ABN dish with an invacom lnb. The first problem started when I tried to move the motor, it would move maybe 1 degree either direction and act like it was catching on something. All the limits were disabled so I know it wasn’t that, I disconnected the LNB to see if it would change anything and it didn’t. I reset the motor using the 2 buttons and that cleared the problem up for another couple days.

I went to move the motor again and the same issue returned, I went to the motor to see if I could manually move the motor with the east-west buttons and it would move but only east. I did another reset on the motor and instead of going back to zero it buried itself all the way east past the numbers on the motor. The dish was parked right up against the pole; I couldn’t get it to budge no matter what I did. I took the motor off the pole and dish and did some testing inside the house, I hooked the motor up to the STB and went into the motor settings and started playing with the limit settings from the box. I kept turning on and off the limits and doing a reset of the motor, after a few minutes I got the motor to move off the east direction. I was then able to manually move the motor to zero and reset, at which time the motor started acting normal again.

Against my better judgment I put the motor and dish back up in hopes that the problem was corrected, everything ran good again for 2 days. I went to move the motor again and the same issue again, went to reset the motor and it buried itself all the way east again. I figured enough was enough and got a return number from the company and sent it on its way. LOL. It would do this no matter if it was hooked up to anything or not, I have read of similar problems other people have had with the newer motors and returning them under warranty. I thought it might be my set up so I installed all new cable with new compression fittings and it didn’t change a thing with the motor. I have to say it was a good learning experience to say the least. LOL. :D

Too bad you had to go through all that. Hopefully the DG280 will be misery free.

The one good thing about it while I was shopping around for a new motor, I found a visionsat IV 200 that was a floor model and got it for $64. It comes with a full warranty, after the reviews I saw on this sight I grabbed it. Next week should be a fun week. :D

Was your SG2100 a true Motek or a knock-off. I tried 3 different SG2100s and the only one that worked right, came in the MOTECK box.

Searay43 Darn! I sympathize with you, thats so frustrating! That motor such a simple device and the manufacturer still can get right.

I reset the motor using the 2 buttons and that cleared the problem up for another couple days.
It seems like the older model with one button and a paperclip hole (for the reset) may have been less troublesome than the current ones with two buttons.
Or maybe the recent users are just more vocal. - :eek:

With all the models, and worse, all the 2100's that aren't the same, how does one know what's reliable any more?

It seems like the older model with one button and a paperclip hole (for the reset) may have been less troublesome than the current ones with two buttons.
Or maybe the recent users are just more vocal. - :eek:

With all the models, and worse, all the 2100's that aren't the same, how does one know what's reliable any more?

That's a good question, after reading around I do think the older model sg2100's with the pin hole reset were and are more reliable. Granted this was my first motor but I have to say I'm really gun shy about using another sg2100. This could of been just a fluke I don't know, I guess I will have to wait and see what the repair shop has to say.:confused:

I've had several of both older and newer versions, the older ones were definately easier to work with. I have a couple of the newer two button models, tried to reset one a few weeks ago, cut motor power, hold both buttons in at the same time, turn on power, motor reset. Well....holding both buttons in kinda ties up both my hands, seeing as I don't have a third hand, how am I supposed to turn on power?:mad: The older models were a breeze to re-set, only one set of hands required. Also, the older ones would re-set zero, some of these new motors don't have a zero reset, so if it slips off zero, its time to get the wrenches out.:)
I was reading the user manual for the DG280, its a bit different again, two button, but it has a zero reset.
Anole, you are right, its a crapshoot when you order one of these things. I've heard good things about the GS120 that AVSatellite sells, a beefed up SG-2100 with paper clip hole....I been thinking of ordering one of those before the supply dries up. Does anyone know if the 70 degree limits can be re-set to 75 on this motor like on the older SG-2100"s? I'm on the east coast and I need that 75 degrees to reach Whitesprings TV;)

Here are some of the specs:
Another motor I would recommend is the Sadoun PowerTech DG280 motor.

If you want to wait a month or so, we will be introducing the new Sadoun PowerTech DG380.

Both come with Metal Gears inside, +/- 80 degrees rotation, 50mm Shaft, and will handle your dish without any issues.

DG280: Metal Main Gear, Manual Backclash adjustment
DG380: Metal Main Gear, Automatic Backclash adjustment

Alive and well. I am just visiting the CES 2008 show. :D

Yes, both motors have reset capabilities.

Most robust rotor? (Thread)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

LNB and Diseqc switchs low level information needed

4:2:2?!?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)