Same price survey, HD-DVD wins!!!

WalksInDarkness

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Aug 17, 2005
Kekistan
Amazon is doing some sort of weird sale where they ask people to vote for items they will sell at a huge discount. One round of the voting is for high-def players; both the HD-A35 and the BD-P1400 are being potentially offered at $149, well HD-DVD is getting nearly TWICE the votes. This tells me that HD-DVD has already "won the hearts and minds" of the public REGARDLESS OF PRICE!

To view the survey go to Amazon, and you will see a link on the right side of the page...

Wow! More completely scientific and reliable numbers to point to a clear winner of the format war.

Good job finding that one!

Personally, I voted for an Xbox 360 in the first vote. Not because I want one more, but because I ALREADY HAVE A PS3!

Wow! More completely scientific and reliable numbers to point to a clear winner of the format war.

Good job finding that one!

While the numbers may not be "scientific", I believe the results are reliable. Amazon has no benefit in either format being sold in this sale. They are a retailer, and all money is green to them. If J6P has both options on the table to vote for, and both cost the same, then it is a completely unbiased result. One might say that all the people have BD and are voting for the A35 to go neutral, but I doubt the MILLIONS of people who surf Amazon every day have ANY HD plater at all. I defy anyone to prove me I am wrong. Bring it on!

While the numbers may not be "scientific", I believe the results are reliable. Amazon has no benefit in either format being sold in this sale. They are a retailer, and all money is green to them. If J6P has both options on the table to vote for, and both cost the same, then it is a completely unbiased result. I defy anyone to prove me I am wrong. Bring it on!

You probably posted this before I edited my previous post with the 360/PS3 point... another one is this: The HD-DVD player shows a higher list price, so to the uneducated consumer, it appears to be a better deal.

You probably posted this before I edited my previous post with the 360/PS3 point... another one is this: The HD-DVD player shows a higher list price, so to the uneducated consumer, it appears to be a better deal.

And likewise, you replied before I edited my post. While the "format neutral" crowd might sway the results to a small degree, it has little effect due to the abmismally small amount of people who actually own ANY hd format. I do admit, the list price thing bears a bit of scrutiny though (the monkey will always choose the cup with more M&Ms...).

BTW: I voted for the BD player since I already have my $99 A2.

not to mention fanboys finding ways to skew the results....

I am not a Fan Boi. I had a 60gb PS3, it was a noisy hot annoyance and the picture wasn't any better than my $99 A2; I sold the PS3 on Ebay, before the values tank after x-mas.

I didnt accuse you of being a fanboy... I was just saying that fanboys can find ways to manipulate surveys like that... spoofing IPs, voting from many different places, etc etc.

I am not a Fan Boi. I had a 60gb PS3, it was a noisy hot annoyance and the picture wasn't any better than my $99 A2; I sold the PS3 on Ebay, before the values tank after x-mas.

That's strange, because my 60 GB PS3 is not noisy or hot. Well, unless I close it up in the entertainment center and don't let it get any air.

I will say, though, that I have not seen a noticable difference in PQ between that and my A2 either. Of course, I didn't buy my PS3 primarily for movies, and there are many more titles I want on BD than on HD, so I can't see selling it....

I didnt accuse you of being a fanboy... I was just saying that fanboys can find ways to manipulate surveys like that... spoofing IPs, voting from many different places, etc etc.

That is a valid point. But the resulting percentages have stayed essentially the same after 24 hours of voting. I am guessing one fanboy group would be able to overcome the other at some point.

Hey, lets make this an even survey. Put the Panny BD30 in there against the A35 and redo this survey. I think the results would be entirely differant. The Samsung BD-P1400 is not the equal of the Toshiba A35 but I believe the Panny BD30 is. I would never buy another Samsung player -- have had two DVD's and got rid of both of them and nothing Samsung has done with BD players has convinced me they learned their lessons from their DVD players.

Even in a survey I am not voting for a Samsung player - period.

I voted for the HD DVD player because I also voted for the PS3 in the first round. I was thinking if I won the PS3, I will have a Blu-ray player, so for the HD round, I voted for the HD DVD player. Wii is beating the PS3 by a huge margin though... I should have voted for the Wii.

I voted for the Sammy player, so I can go purple. Then I will bitch and complain about how (granted, knowlingly) I bought a P.O.S. Blu-ray player that doesn't play profile 1.1 discs or even have an Ethernet port. :p

It could be "fanboy" voting or it could mean that the Amazon members already own BD and would like to see cheal HD DD player. In oher words it does not mean much.

Exactly. I just got a PS3. Voted HD DVD to go purple. But what are the odds of winning? Is it like any other sweepstakes out there?

You have to be logged into your registered Amazon account to do that.

I also voted for Blu-ray.

The new sammys have a ethernet port I believe.

This thread reminds me of a survey on the internet like:

New England 3 - Dolphins 76 Final Score.
This is the way I treat surveys, they don't mean anything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)