Same XM/Sirius channel sounds INFERIOR on Dish than Directv

smooth28la

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 16, 2004
I compared Channel 6036 (BPM) to Directv's XM version through digital audio output through my amp. With the same music playing, Dishnetwork's version sounds muddled and lacks good crisp fidelity compared to Directv's version.

I do listen to lots of music on Dishnetwork. I'd hate to keep Directv active just to get better fidelity in music (even though I'm keeping Directv due to lack of LOGO channel on DISH).

Also, Directv has now added DMX to its music lineup. Is Dish going to add MusicChoice perhaps to replace the removed Sirius channels, such as its retro dance channel (formerly of Strobe)?

i respectfully disagree. to me the sirius on E sounds way Better than the XM on D.

Sirius on E is in DD 5.0 while on D i have to upconvert the sound to Dolby surround. that's my case.

i respectfully disagree. to me the sirius on E sounds way Better than the XM on D.

Sirius on E is in DD 5.0 while on D i have to upconvert the sound to Dolby surround. that's my case.

The Strobe and other channels have been removed from Sirius and replaced with some XM channels. This is a SiriusXM move and has nothing to do with E*.

The new lineup can be views here: SIRIUS Satellite Radio - New Channel Lineup: Music

What receiver are you using? It's a 2 channel signal on the Sirius channels on my ViP622. I also have a Sirius Sportster 4 in my truck, and Sirius built into my VW stereo, and the quality on Dish is pretty sad...there's a stutter on all of channels that's hard to ignore, and it's especially apparent on a sustained note.

Chris

Last edited:
What receiver are you using? It's a 2 channel signal on the Sirius channels on my ViP622. I also have a Sirius Sportster 4 in my truck, and Sirius built into my VW stereo, and the quality on Dish is pretty sad...there's a stutter on all of channels that's hard to ignore, and it's especially apparent on a sustained note.

Chris

I was getting until recently through optical 5.0 surround on the sirius channels. i'll check later today. i haven't used these channels for almost 4 months now so it might have lost quality recently.

That is not true. The signal is 2.0 on E*. Your receiver may be converting it to a 5 channel output, but it is NOT 5.0.

i have never heard the music off of d*, but i have no complaints about sirius from e*. actual output is 2.0, lakebum is spot on there. i will say however, the worst music i ever heard was from cox cable. even with my yamaha amp and klipsh speakers, it was so flat and depressing. I do wish though that sirius brought back the supershuffle station. that was one of my favs.

So I'm guessing that I'm the only one that notices the constant stutter in the audio on the Sirius channels? Listening to 6001 and 6009, it's not noticeable when the volume is down, but turn up the volume a bit and it's borderline intolerable. I've connected via HDMI and optical, and the issue exists regardless of the connection. I have a Yamaha HTR-5990 receiver and JBL Studio series speakers, so I doubt it's something on that end (unless there's a sampling problem between the dish output and the rx input).

Chris

So I'm guessing that I'm the only one that notices the constant stutter in the audio on the Sirius channels? Listening to 6001 and 6009, it's not noticeable when the volume is down, but turn up the volume a bit and it's borderline intolerable. I've connected via HDMI and optical, and the issue exists regardless of the connection. I have a Yamaha HTR-5990 receiver and JBL Studio series speakers, so I doubt it's something on that end (unless there's a sampling problem between the dish output and the rx input).

Chris

No such problem here prior to today (and I have not checked anything today).

Since that channel has been on Dish Network for only a few hours, it is possible that there is an installation error that has yet to be fixed.

There are a couple of Sirius channel changes today where the channel name and the audio do not correspond. :) So, the problem may be only on that channel (or only the newly changed channels).

PS In the past, it has been established that Dish's feed of the Sirius channels is better audio quality than the satellite radio feed...

I've never noticed it. I just checked the two channels you mentioned and I still don't. I'm only listening to the analog output via headphones at the moment, but last night I had the classical channel going on my Onkyo system via HDMI for 4 hours and it sounded fine.

By the way, even though I haven't checked, I noticed that Sirius is at least 5 seconds behind the same station on XM on my car receivers

I presume it's the same thing on DISH compared to Directv's version of the same station.

So Sirius/DISH is probably getting SECOND GENERATION AUDIO !!

This is not acceptable!

By the way, even though I haven't checked, I noticed that Sirius is at least 5 seconds behind the same station on XM on my car receivers

I presume it's the same thing on DISH compared to Directv's version of the same station.

So Sirius/DISH is probably getting SECOND GENERATION AUDIO !!

This is not acceptable!
Dude,

It's a digital bit stream. "Second gen audio" is a totally analog 80's and before term.

That is not true. The signal is 2.0 on E*. Your receiver may be converting it to a 5 channel output, but it is NOT 5.0.

Could be. when i choose one of the CD audio channels the receiver switches to 2.0 and when i go back to the sirius channels at 6000 the receiver switches back to 5.1 audio like the HD channels. I don't know why but it does. I haven't noticed the audio stuttering either.

This morning it was airing on Willie's Honky-Tonk. Now it's gone to honky-tonk music, but it still has titles for the kids channel.

I just found another guide anomaly. Channel 6019 is now AC/DC Radio. The first two lines of the song description have the song title and AC/DC Radio, but the last two lines say "Boneyard - Classic hard rock" which is what it used to be except it was called Buzzsaw instead of Boneyard the last time I noticed.

They did change my channels, but I think they just merged Sirius Beats with XM Dance.

I remember XM from DirecTV. I never really got into it. Sirius got me hooked, especially with their Saturday night remixes on Beats. I do record those Saturday mixes and play them on my Archos at the gym. I won't know till next weekend if they changed their Saturday remixes (thankfully I have 50 hours of my favorites saved, but I need new content too). That will really suck if they do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)