Samsung BD-D6700

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Since Im itching, and HTM's review was very high on this player, especially the video processing, Im gonna give it a whirl. Should be ordering soon, and will post my impressions.

Just read the manual, and it allows color space and deep color stuff, but yeah no Brightness/etc... stuff. I can live with that, as long as it does not require a different Brightness setting like the LG did, which also offered ZERO controls plus no Color Space adjustment.

Ill still run with it and report back.

Some quick observations:

• Quick, but not as snappy as the BDT (which to me is the reference speed player)
  • Looks very snazzy, better than the BDT. Touch screen front is cool, but also looks archaic
  • FW update went easy, but it did lock up on a boot (later on). Several power offs did nothing, had to actually unplug it. Never ever had any other BR player do this before.
  • Picture settings are decent, lacking stuff like brightness, contrast, etc... Allows for YCBCR 4:4:4 only (missing 4:2:2), which could be an issue for some, Deep Color Auto or Off, same with 24P
  • PQ to me is just a tad softer, or maybe more processed looking than the BDT. Ive been using these Panny's awhile and like the PQ, and something on the Samsung makes me give it a notch less.

At this point, it's a snappy BR player, but the lock up right outta the gate concerns me and the lack of picture adjustments could be an issue for some. Menu's are nice, and it is pretty darn quick. I checked the brightness with a test disc, and it matches with my signal generator, therefore lack of picture controls on a calibrated display do not seem huge. As noted on the LG, it required a lower brightness setting, but offered no pic controls.

All in all, nice player but no reason to spend more $$$ when you can just buy a BDT110 or 210. it does have 2 HDMIs so it would be best be compared to the BDT-310. Currently at Amazon the 6700 is $210, while the BDT310 is $177. Nuff said.

It's been fine. I moved it to the bedroom as my second. My overall impression is the panny wins the sub $300 player realm. I've not tried Sony. I intend on settling with a premium model early in the year as my main, then the panny as backup. Prob sell the Sammy. Keeping a watchful eye on the elite, but I remain skeptical of pioneer. That 93 just seems like the player to beat.

I've tried enough grass around town :) , it's oppo or panny for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)