Samsung BD-P1400 first impressions

Had my first glich with the Samsuing last night. While watching "The Devil Wears Prada" (got to keep the wife happy!) the screen went crazy. It started rotating about 10 degrees every 10 seconds or so. It wasn't the movie because the player menu that ovelays the movie was also getting rotated and streched. Had to turn the player off and restart. Didn't happen again. Maybe a HDMI thing? I think this thing loads movies really fast.

I like HD DVD menu options during playback, seemed easier to accesses. Hey, I can hit stop on the Samsung and the movie starts from where I left off. Very nice!

I haven't tried HD-DVD, but I have noticed a difference with BD movies. Some movies, you can pop the menu up without interrupting the film, others kick you out of the movie completely. I think it depends on how they authored the disc.

Here's a nice review.

Samsung BD-P1400 review - Engadget HD

The BD-P1400 does have one trick up its sleeve that we haven't seen on any other player we've tested. It can internally decode multi-channel Dolby TrueHD and output it via HDMI or the discrete analog outputs. This means that even if you have an older AV receiver, you can still take advantage of every next-gen codec except DTS-HD MA,. But with Master Audio, everyone still gets the DTS core, which is pretty much what the rest of the players do anyway. Like the Panasonic DMP-BD30, if your AV receiver supports the latest codecs, you can get the encoded signal out via HDMI 1.3. So despite the fact that this player doesn't do Bonus View (read: Profile 1.1), it does have the best codec support of any Blu-ray player available today that doesn't sell for $800.

Another BD player that does not impress when it comes to upconverting. Every review of a BD players upconvert ability seems to contain the word 'disappointing' which is very disappointing considering most people will be robbed of the pleasure of re-enjoying their DVD library at near HD.

Another BD player that does not impress when it comes to upconverting. Every review of a BD players upconvert ability seems to contain the word 'disappointing' which is very disappointing considering most people will be robbed of the pleasure of re-enjoying their DVD library at near HD.

Care to show the information that backs up your opinion?

It all depends on BD Player due to some are better than others and most should play DVD Titles. So just like any other piece of hardware make sure you get something that is works well. Also dont believe everything you read on the net due to when it comes to Blu-Ray or any thing that deals with technology. Most time they say something will not work when allot times it does they just dont know how to use it or dont know what their buying. Overall up converting works well on most BD Players..

It all depends on BD Player due to some are better than others and most should play DVD Titles.
I never said they wouldn't play DVD's. Just that reviews have been very disappointing with the PS3 being recognized as the poorest of them all. Don't think Sony put much value in the chip, now it appears the other manufacturers didn't either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts