Samsung: cheap OLED TVs won't be ready for three to four years

It all depends upon how well the Kateeva method works.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Blue seems to be the biggest holdup. It has a short lifespan. LG gets around it by having all white OLED with an RGB color filters for each pixel. Essentially an LCD with 4k local dimming backlight positions, but the color of the LG white still shifts over time.

Blue seems to be the biggest holdup. It has a short lifespan. LG gets around it by having all white OLED with an RGB color filters for each pixel. Essentially an LCD with 4k local dimming backlight positions, but the color of the LG white still shifts over time.

No. The "white" is composed of red, green and blue emitters.

No. The "white" is composed of red, green and blue emitters.

Yes, but the blue emitters' half life is shorter than the red or green, so the white shifts slowly. I suppose they can guess the life cycles and try to adjust by brightening the blue as the set ages to counteract the dimming of the blue, but different pixels would age differently.

Is OLED susceptible to image retention? My wife has a Samsung Galaxy Nexus phone and I think the display tech is known as "Super AMOLED". The thing is it suffers from image retention/ persistence, much like my ipad2 and Samsung Plasma TV. It's not "burn in" because it goes away if you change the content displayed frequently, but still annoying nonetheless.

Is OLED susceptible to image retention? My wife has a Samsung Galaxy Nexus phone and I think the display tech is known as "Super AMOLED". The thing is it suffers from image retention/ persistence, much like my ipad2 and Samsung Plasma TV. It's not "burn in" because it goes away if you change the content displayed frequently, but still annoying nonetheless.

Technically in a sense yes. The blue OLED can lose 12% brightness after 1000 hours. For a TV it is a long time. The other colors decay slower, so a pixel's color will shift to less blue over time. If you had a display such as a flight schedule in an airport where the same data was shown for long periods of time, I would expect burn in. For normal TV I would just expect a gradual color shift.

A thousand hors isn't a particularly long time. Is it possible you have a typo in the # Mike?

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57598963-221/seven-problems-with-current-oled-televisions/

The blue pixel may also reduce your display's life with older research of the Sony XEL-1 suggesting after only 1,000 hours of use the display had dimmed by 12 percent. It's probable that the technology has improved since but no company is quoting any numbers.

It is scary that no company is putting out numbers. I am sure they are working hard and have made some progress on blue since the Sony set. But when you have one color fading significantly faster than the other 2 it causes problems with color shifts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)