Samsung DLP Component vs. HDMI/DVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

zubinh

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 30, 2004
Long Island, NY
I would like to pose this question to those that have a Samsung DLP and an HD Receiver.

Do you guys see any noticable difference between using component vs. HDMI/DVI?

I have tried to tell the difference but I cant and am wondering why DVI was invented if its not any better. I know there is no analog to digital conversion with DVI but I'd just like your thoughts on pure Picture Quality. Thanks

Zubinh,

The DVI interconnect was created to provide a pure digital connection between a computer and an LCD monitor. In this way a conversion to and from analog can be avoided and the signal degradation in doing so is removed.

The reason this connection is being pushed into the home theater realm is mostly a result of movie studio’s fear of Firewire being used as an A/V interconnect due to their belief that Firewire is prone to copying.

DVI is uncompressed video and at HDTV resolution the aggregate data rate is about 2.2Gbps (275Mbytes/s).

The biggest benefit is that with HDMI you can fit your audio and video signals all in one cable, and believe me you don’t need to go by an expensive cable for it to look and sound great.

I would expect some difference.. Even for better of for worse...

The best would be when DVI is sending 720p directly to your particular display. No other resolutions will give you the less converted signal you know.

samsung dlp and hdmi/dvi

In response to the posting, I recently bought a Samsung 46" dlp and have tried various combinations. There was a huge increase in quality when I switched to Monster Cables, THX V-800, for my component cables. Yesterday someone at Best Buy convinced me that I need HDMI/DVI so I tried Monster THX 800 HDMI/DVI cable. There MAY have been a slight improvement on HD channels but a significant fall in quality in regular channels. I'll try them out again on the weekend with a couple of other people but my preliminary advice is that it probably varies from TV to TV and on mine the component cable wins.

Regards, Gary

I recently added a Comcast HD box to my second HD set (Samsung DLP). I am really getting strange behavior with the various connections. The DVI is definitely worse with HD programs. Much better quality with component. However with component, the tv will only work with HD channels. When trying to view other digital channels and analog channels, I get the message "mode not supported"???? But I am able to view all channels with the DVI. I have presently left both connections in place so as to have access to all channels on this set. With my main set(JVC lcos), no problem. Can access all channels thru the component hook-up. Anyone have any idea what is going on here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)