samsung hl 56187w

I assume you mean the HL-S6187W.

I own this set and yes it is awesome:

Some common gripes:
  • Pincushion
  • Collapsing light tunnel
  • High-pitch whine when set is off.
  • Random shutdowns.

Pincushion, although partly attributable to the DLP design, may be extreme in these models. It has been hypothesized that the thin bezel and flimsy screen result in bowing during transport and handling (especially it you move the set by holding onto the bezel). Of course holding on to the bezel is the only way to move it given the shape of the cabinet. My set did have what I'd call extreme pincushion most evident while watching pillar-boxed 4:3. I resolved it to within spec by "massaging" the bezel allowing the screen to slip into the grooves from which it slipped. Others have had the same success.

The collapsing light tunnel is a result of early models (I believe build dates before December 2006) being manufactured with faulty adhesive of a mirror in the light tunnel. The problem is evident by a triangular shadow at the top of the screen. This is a warranty fix and I'm not aware of anyone having this issue with builds after the December 2006 lot. I have a January 2007 build and have had no issues with shadows.

Some sets have a faint high pitched whine emanating from the power supply only when the set is in standby mode. It's been stated to be a result of harmonics that we shouldn't be able to hear but some of us do. Again, it stops immediately upon turning the set on. I do hear this on my set if the house is completely quiet (i.e. no air conditioner running, no refrigerator running, etc.) This is harmless, but if it bothers the user, Samsung will replace the power supply under warranty.

Random shutdowns happen to some users and many have resolved the problem by simply reseating the lamp, or ensuring the "circuit kill switch" is making good contact with the lamp door. The "circuit kill switch" is there to prevent accessing the lamp while the set is on.

That's just a summary of some problems that users have had. Keep in mind that most have no problems at all.

Moving... need help chosing new toys!!

7.1 Speaker Placement

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts