Samsung KS8500 Curved and Hopper 3 question?

budda

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 21, 2006
Oconomowoc
I am looking at a new big screen for main viewing room. I have read while it is a great TV some of the OLED sets for whatever reason don't look good with the Hopper. I like Samsung anyway and I have one 4K set in the bedroom and it looks fine. On the 4K Joey. The KS8500 curved TV is one of there better sets with a 240 refresh rate. My question is does anyone here have this set? And do you love it? Hate it? Or just ok? I have found how the picture looks in most cases is the quality of the source. Some of Dish's channels are soft in my option. So just checking before I pull the trigger. 65 inch set BTW. Any input is great thanks

Reactions: tigerfan33
This is my personal feedback so take it as such! I too love Samsung and was torn recently between Sony and Samsung for our upgrade to a new 55" 4K TV. Ultimately I went with a flat screen Sony, mainly for their better 4K upscaling and this model's better viewing angle. But again was almost a 50/50 coin toss.

My opinion on the curved feature is that it is just hype. Only aesthetic value, nothing really gained as far as viewing. For now at least. Until we truly are at a point where we have over 100" television screens to where the curvature will make more sense to be in a more immersive and natural viewing experience. Also, I've looked and looked at the curved sets many times as I am very picky about glare. And for me, the biggest issue is the "smear" effect in reflections. While it all depends on the environment where the TV is located, this can be very distracting.

It's just a matter of optics and reflection. Every time I see a curved TV in a store (and yes, I fully appreciate that stores have way more lighting than a home) I always can see the reflection of the lighting on the surface of the TV screen smeared much wider than what it would be on a flat screen. And in some cases it almost looks like an 'infinite mirror" effect where you can see multiple reflections of the light source.

Ultimately, if you have a room where there is no light source behind you or off to the sides (and windows count as light sources!) then I'm sure it will be fine for you. For me with the TV against the far wall and a kitchen/dining room behind the couch in front of the TV, window and lamp to the right...no way curved.

Not saying this site knows it all but a very good example of what I am referring to can be found further down the page:
http://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/curved-vs-flat-tvs-compared

Good luck!

Reactions: SandFarmer
When I went to purchase my first 4K, I compare flat to curved. To me, the flat version of the 65" looked larger and more natural to me. Again, just another opinion.

Personally, I would never buy a curved screen. A curved screen introduces distortion to the image. It also does not make sense for people sitting to the left and right of the TV (not in the center). I definitely prefer the non-distorted flat image!

Reactions: Tron2012
Thanks for the feed back. My wall mount is in a corner. So I thought the curved would sit back really nice. Also it just looks cool! :) I do have many windows in that room? But besides football daytime tv is a minimum. Will have to think about it just a bit more. I have found the best prices are in February thru April. 2016's are on the way out to make room for the 2017's. I have the last 60 inch Plasma Samsung made and it is a really great tv so not is a rush. Just going to look for the best price. Keep researching . To curve or not to curve. lol Thanks

... some of the OLED sets for whatever reason don't look good with the Hopper.
Can others confirm this statement? I'm looking at OLED as a replacement for my Pioneer plasma in the next year or so. I think the OLED picture is far more real looking than any LCD/LED TV with fewer artifacts, but if there is an issue with Hopper then I should reconsider.

While it is possible that some might have seen an issue, I don't think that you can make a blanket statement that OLED sets do not look good with the Hopper. Right now, OLED sets have probably the best picture that you will see on any TV. If anything, the OLED sets might make it easier to see the defects in the source image, but that makes it a better set, not a worse one! Before believing that all OLED sets are bad, I would definitely try it for myself.

BTW the 65 inch LG OLED65B6P looks pretty awesome to me (they also have a 55 inch version).

Reactions: 356B
Budda, If you want much more info on any Display go to AVS Forum. One thing to think about is side lit displays compared to back lit, also the coming HDR with the new Dolby Vision has the best 4k quality available. Only a couple brands have the Soc chip that enables Dolby Vision.
Dan

While it is possible that some might have seen an issue, I don't think that you can make a blanket statement that OLED sets do not look good with the Hopper. Right now, OLED sets have probably the best picture that you will see on any TV. If anything, the OLED sets might make it easier to see the defects in the source image, but that makes it a better set, not a worse one! Before believing that all OLED sets are bad, I would definitely try it for myself.

I did not mean to say 'All" OLED sets had problems with picture quality. But in the searches I did. A lot of people who have them are not pleased because of the way the picture looks. In amost all cases it is the source. Some it was the HDMI cables. Some it was the way it was setup. Bottom line is if you are going to spend/drop 5K on a TV. I don't want to just say it's the best. I would like to be happy with the set as well. JMO

If you are worried about the picture quality with the Hoppers, you can buy the OLED set from a store with a good return policy. For example, Best Buy will let you try the TV at home and if you don't like it, you can return it or exchange it for another set. That way you won't be stuck with it if it doesn't work out.

EDIT: During the Black Friday sale week, Amazon was selling the LG OLED65B6P for $2797, and they were selling the 55 inch version for $1797. Still not cheap, but a lot less than $5K.

Last edited:
I bought a Vizio P55 C1 from Costco day before Thanksgiving, $979.99, Dish Tv is better than I have seen it on an tv. I does HDR, Hdr10, and Dolby Vision. The display is controlled an Android 6" Tablet, which is included, also has regular remote or minor control.
Dan

Reactions: budda
Well, I would not accept a blanket statement about Dish and "all OLED's," I would consider such opinions of those who have had their OLED's professionally calibrated or at least a cheap DIY "calibration" using a Blu-ray disc like that of Spears & Munsil--remembering that Dish content today is HD (and the vast majority of the content in HD), not 4K (and IF the Dish Netflix app streams 4K today), such a disc is a good starting point for what you will be watching on Dish, and often, the simple adjustments made with such "calibration discs" can make all the difference in the world. The settings we are most accustomed to with an HD display will probably be very different in an UHD OLED display as these two displays perform very differently. I agree that if you get your UHD OLED, get it from a place with good return policies like Costco (I think Best Buy is no down to a 2 week no questions asked return policy). That is the only way to cover yourself if you don't like what you see. The best of luck.

Well, I would not accept a blanket statement about Dish and "all OLED's," I would consider such opinions of those who have had their OLED's professionally calibrated or at least a cheap DIY "calibration" using a Blu-ray disc like that of Spears & Munsil--remembering that Dish content today is HD (and the vast majority of the content in HD), not 4K (and IF the Dish Netflix app streams 4K today), such a disc is a good starting point for what you will be watching on Dish, and often, the simple adjustments made with such "calibration discs" can make all the difference in the world. The settings we are most accustomed to with an HD display will probably be very different in an UHD OLED display as these two displays perform very differently. I agree that if you get your UHD OLED, get it from a place with good return policies like Costco (I think Best Buy is no down to a 2 week no questions asked return policy). That is the only way to cover yourself if you don't like what you see. The best of luck.

Thanks I tried to correct myself twice. It is not meant to be a blanket statement. The "ALL OLED" thing. But I understand your point. I watch no SD. If it is in SD I most likely will never see it. I have two friends with OLED sets. In some cases twice the price. I am going to pass. Huge Best Buy fan BTW. And I like the picture on the 8000 and 9000 series sets very much. For me it even looks better. The industry is in love with OLED and there are reasons for it. Just not THAT impressed. And don't see it. I hope the people who spent the coin on those sets are happy. I know I will be. Peace. :) Merry Xmas all!

Reactions: charlesrshell
I have a Hopper 3 and have had a Samsung 55KS800D (the Costco version of the KS8000) for 3 weeks. I have a 4 year old Samsung 50" 1080p set that works really well. I have both sets sitting side by side in the family room. My hopper connects to a Yamaha HDR with 2 HDMI outputs. This lets me view both sets on the same material at the same time. I was very happy with the picture quality of the older set, and I find the PQ of the new set to be identical. I was concerned about PQ on the 4K sets because I had read a lot of forum posts (and professional reviews) that denigrated the upscaling capabilities. Understand that the upscaling is NOT improving the image to be 4k, but is giving you the same 1080p image quality that you had before. There is no LOSS of picture quality. I can't speak to other brands but I can say that the Samsung KS8000 series will give you as good a picture from hopper signals as you are getting now on your standard HD set. I bought this set for 4K viewing, but would only consider keeping it if I could continue viewing available material (football, network TV, etc) at the same quality that I currently have. It has passed the test.

Reactions: budda

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)