Samsung SIR-TS360

Status
Please reply by conversation.

WAS

Original poster
Sep 9, 2004
I am a new DirecTV subscriber with a Samsung SIR-TS360 HD Receiver.
Everything runs well EXCEPT I have not been able to get my VCR to record anything. I connected it every which way possible, the remote works fine and controls the VCR and while it shows it is recording, there's nothing but noise when I play back.

Do I have a faulty receiver?

what channel are you trying to record? you need to record channel 3 or 4 which ever your reciever is set to.

This is not 100% true, If he is using coax it will be tuned on 3 or 4 but if he is using composite (or SVHS, he didn't say) his vcr needs to be set to the AUX or LINE IN settings. This is why I asked if he get picture and sound before he record. Another question to add is IF a pre-recorded tape plays in the unit?

Thanks for your answers.
Yes, I'm using Component cables (red-blue-green for video and red-white for audio, because the receiver doesn't have a coax cable out!
Yes I can play tapes with the vcr.
I'll try setting it to AUX or LINE IN and see how that works, it at all.

Well R/G/B would surely be a component cable as you state but your VCR isnt component? Now I am not saying they will not work after setting the VCR to AUX or LINE IN (required when not using COAX), but you should really use the correct cables; composite video jumpers (Red/White/Yellow). With pre-recorded tapes playing, that eliminates your VCR playback as an issue. I am confused about why you think your satellite receiver may be bad? When you are not using the VCR you have picture and sound from the satellite on the TV correct?

keep in mind you cannot record hd channels to a regular vcr.plug the yellow red + white cables from the receiver output to the vcr input.Turn the vcr channel to aux,or vid 1 or L1,and record a sd channel,see if that works.

lurch said:
keep in mind you cannot record hd channels to a regular vcr.plug the yellow red + white cables from the receiver output to the vcr input.Turn the vcr channel to aux,or vid 1 or L1,and record a sd channel,see if that works

If your HD receiver has simultanious HD/480i output, like I think this Samsung does, he should be able to record the HD channels in a downconverted 480i picture via s-vid or composite out. This is what I do, however I didn't mention anything regarding HD recording because #1 he never mentioned HD and #2 I would have assumed everyone is aware you can't record 1080i/720p/480p (component or DVI) to a standard VHS machine.

it's working

Well, this HD receiver is supposed to output directly to a VCR AND also directly to a TV.
My previous satellite receiver for a 10' dish had coaxial in and out. So going from the receiver to the VCR to the TV, it was easy to record.

Anyway, the Samsung has beaucoup possibilities to connect VCR DVD, etc.
I set it up now to Line 2 and I can record. There's only AUTO, LINE 1 and LINE 2.
My next step is to find out how to get it to recognize the VCR Control cable that goes from the satellite receiver to just in front of the VCR control sensor.

Thanks for everybody's input:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)