San Antonio, Texas

PROBATIKOS

Original poster
Will be moving to San Antonio, Texas soon (north central) or (NW). I am currently using DTV. I am however strongly concidering getting VOOM. Anybody From around San Antonio monitoring this forum, their input would be greatly apreciated.
I used to install DTV and found myself saving DTV from customers cancelling their contracts because of lousy installations by installers who were incompitant and/or didn't care about the customer. I would go and redo the work.
I would like to know who is the best team out there for installations so I don't fall into the same pit that I used to get others out of.

Thank-You for any & all reviews, any & all suggestions. :yes

I am getting Voom installed on the 25th...will let you know how it goes. By the way I live on the NW side of SA. I'm hoping to get all the OTA channels available in this area. We will see....

I've VoOmed in Fair Oaks Ranch since early March

I switched from Dish to VoOm in early March and have been a satisfied camper. I was already set up with a ChannelMaster 4228 and 6000 and could get all OTA except for good ole KLRN on VHF. The installer and I simply bypassed my existing Dish 61.5 leads at the 6x4 switch and swapped out the two receivers. In 15 minutes I was back in business with VoOm...as good or better HD, SD, and OTA pictures and a lot more choices.

No diplexor...I used the existing runs from the 61.5 Dish and 4228 on the roof. The VoOm dish and "stealth" antenna are still in their boxes.

After the last software update, both my VoOm receivers have worked with less trouble than the old Dish 6000.

Thank-you Abner;
I'm very glad to hear your report. I realy like DTV but to have all of those HD chanels is hard to pass up so long as there are no draw backs to having or getting VOOM. Might as well use my HD tv for what it is made for.

I am getting installed the first week of June. I live in the quarry, roughly 5 miles due north of down town. Will let you know how it goes for the OTA which I have not been able to get all of the channels at once with my directional antenna. I'm just too close to get them all in the same range of the antenna, so hopefully the other antenna will work better for me.

I'm switching from DTV primarily because of the HD content and I am looking forward to new channels. I debated for weeks about switching over to Voom, I hope it pays off!

Who is doing your install?

Donut,

Do you know who is doing your install. I was told that Digital Direct would be doing mine. The lady I spoke to said they are based out of somewhere near Houston. Also, I sent a private email to another memeber here who already has Voom in SA. He said he gets all the major OTA channels, KSAT, KENS, KMOL, KABB...
I am switching from Directv to Voom. I am hoping the install goes smooth because it took me a while to convince the wife to make the change. She was reluctant when she found out Voom didn't offer Lifetime. Hopefully everything goes well....

I have no clue. I guess I should have asked but I'm going to trust it goes well. I used to work at Innovations up the road so I have basically what I need to have it set up minus the equipment. They can't screw it up any more than DTV did when they put in my HD system. I had to rewire, buy a new multiswitch, undo the diplexer/amp gig they had for the OTA. It was a mess. I'm really looking forward to this, and I wouldn't worry to much, I'm willing to bet that voom gets lifetime and a few others on in no time.

I'll post back here after I get up and running on the 2nd as to how it went.

*update*

Talked to the Digital Direct peeps out of Houston and they should be here the 7th now. Said that the equipment was running behind the install date and had to reschedule. Did they change your date as well?

Already Installed

Donut,

Don't know why they pushed your date back. The installer who came out to my house said he had about 7 STBs in stock.(not including the 2 he installed at my house) He did mention that Voom was behind on their orders though (see others posts in this forum re: equipment shortages). I did not get a 30" dish like Voom had originally indicated they would send. I already called Installs Co. and the CSR I talked to told me that according to his supervisor they are no longer installing 30" dishes. According to him only about 20-30 dishes of this size were installed. I told him that was bull and that Voom had already approved me for a dish that size. He said he needed to talk to his supervisor and would call me back. The install process went good for the most part. Overall though the picture on my Sony Plasma is amazing. I watched the Laker's v Timberwolf's game and couldn't believe how clear the picture was.

I am still experiencing the following problems:
1.OTA channels (not receiving all the channels Antennaweb says I should be getting and pixalization on others I am getting). I am getting an antenna upgrade.
2. StarzHD on the wrong channel.(the posts here indicate that its probably a bad diplexer but the CSR said "it's a polarity issue".
3.Loosing audio on some channels. I have to change channels then come back to it.
4.Loosing sat signal on one receiver.
5.Sometimes seeing the same OTA channel on all OTA channels.....weird.

By the way my receivers came ready with the new software...ver.5.68.

Install's is supposed to call me back to set up a visit to fix some of these issues. I will probably post my "Install Experience" here shortly but for now I recommend you reading as much as you can regarding Voom and it's installs. You will be less disappointed and more prepared when something goes wrong. If you get the same guys that installed my setup be patient. My install was set for 8am-12pm....they showed up at 12:15 (this had to do with the problem with the 30" dish). All in all, Voom is worth the wait. I am very happy with the picture quality

I'll update this thread on my progress. If you have any questions let me know.

Hey RM,
I live on the north west side in the hills in Leon Springs. Currently I have Dish and thinking about switching to Voom. For the locals I have to use an OTA antenna, mounted high with a rotor, Still get no signal on channel 5. I get everything else. What channels are you experiencing difficulties with? Did you switch from another DBS? Are you satisfied?

tf,

I'm currently getting all the standard locals (4,5,12,29,35,41,60) except ch. 9 KLRN. Ch 29 KABB comes in but at a very low signal (sometimes I get pixalization). I already called Voom and I have been approved for an amp that should correct the OTA problems. According to antennaweb the Ch 5 KENS tower is in the same area as ch 4 and ch 12 so you should be getting that channel. I get excellent signal for ch 5. I live on the NW side also (Bandera/Prue). Dont know but you might have better luck with Voom. Make sure you check out antennaweb for a listing of the stations you should be receiving and your distance from the towers.
I switched from Dtv to Voom and have been satisfied so far. I have a Sony plasma and the picture is unbeleivable. Make sure you read as much as you can before switching though....if you get past the install without any major problems you should be good. My install was not difficult...I already had two coax lines running inside the house and a dtv dish on the roof. All they did was switch the dish, repoint, install the OTA antenna and hook up the STBs. Like I stated earlier I was told that the service visit should correct the OTA problem and my other issues. ESPN and BravoHD on the wrong channel... no StarzHD on one STB.
All of the problems I listed on my previous posts I was ready for because I had been reading this forum for some time before I made the switch. The guys in this forum are very helpful. I am sure you will be happy with Voom if you decide to make the switch. If you have any other questions let me know.

Got installed finally. Everything went great, the installers were good and appeared to know exactly what was going on. My OTA probs are horrible where I'm at. Seems from here (the quarry) I have to move my antenna from SE to S depending on the channels. I think it's because of another apartment building across from me. Definately like the V* selection on channels. Have found plenty to watch.

VOOMed in san antonio (southeast)

we were hooked up on june 18th, I have waited till they(install co.) finished, to post, today is the 30th, lets start at the begining, june 18th voom installed , good voom sat signal, HD from voom is amazing, SD voom is great, wish Voom carried Sci-fi, wife's requests HGTV and food network :rolleyes:
Only major problem i Have Had is with local channels. on the 18th they brought along a wineguard antenna, that didnt work or couldnt pick up a signal so i was upgraded by voom to a RCA 3030 (so i was told) still no local channels.both antennas were installed in same location (the lowest part of my roof eave towards back yard - many trees in backyard area and my house sits on a downhill grade which made the antenna level with the ground 35 ft away towards the stations antenna that needed to be linked) I asked the installer if it would make a difference if my antenna was mounted to the top of my roof and he said it would not make a difference and the tress would not interfear ( yeah I know, !!) so he called voom and/or installs and they said i would need to purchase a amplifier. i spoke with vooms very very helpful customer service person and his solution was voom would reimburse my bill for amp. ( Not a bad deal) installer needed to find a price out the next day, he would get back to me, This is where it gets fun, I went up on the roof ( of couse it starts to rain) moved the local antenna to highest spot. ground my dish and antenne ( not done by installer) WOW I GOT channel 2 LOCAL CHANNELs ! .I go back to junction block grond that and cap off unused nipples, now i go and check every conection, crimp and cable this guy has installed (found many loose crimps ) completely replace bad connectios WOW theres 1 more local channels in my Bedroom and now my liv tv has 9 now too (i think bad duplexer on Liv tv) and then i installed a old radio shack amp and theres all the Local channels in the Bedroom. They fade in and out i have to adjust amp every so often i think i have the local antenna directed wrong need compass to fix i dont think the amp is really needed for all but 1 channel i was able to get every channel without it (i think ), playing find the tower ( yelling down ! hows the pic now! lol :) . i received a call back(june 25) from the installer saying we should use my amp and he would come back out tue.(yesterday, No show or call)) to help me repoint, all i think i need at this point is a compass to point my antenna to 165 degress according to titan TV.
Thats my experience so far.
Voom = Excellent "new" satilite company
installer = jury is still out, well see if he calls today, i know the owner of his company reads these boards..

thanks.
mr C & ms. S
!Free Internet Wi-fi Hotspot In San Antonio. click here

Ota

Mr.C,

I hope they dont send you the same guy who has been out to my house three times now. I finally called Instals yesterday and complained. I am still having OTA problems and the guy who has been trying to fix it has actually made it worse. He even left cables hanging from from my overhang and when I asked him if he was going to take care of that his response was " I am already late for another install so I will have to do it later." That "later" never came. Installs is supposed to send me another installer to fix this guys work. I am happy with Voom but these installers are killing them. BY the way I had all of the S.A. locals available for a brief moment. The installer then moved the antenna and I lost about half of them. Again he didn't want to mess with it any more because he was late for another install. Hopefully I will have everything fixed on this my second month with Voom.

RM

I tried calling Installs to to get help, I found it easier to call voom and have then setup a new appointment with a new company to finish my install and they gave me "something" nice for my trouble. My guys name was W***, he was a nice guy, but needs a refresher course in sat installation and how to crimp cable connectos on. I wont mention the Co. but the owner was a nice guy on the phone, he should have sent another installer out after this guy called him the 10th time for help.

before i go off on a rant.

Heres some helpful tips for installers

1. dont whine about $$, I dont care D**** tv pays $10.00 dollers more and you dont have to install 2 antenna for them.your company signed a contract.
2. Dont be lazy climb your A** on the roof if needed.
3.If you think the customer needs something extra amp, bigger antenna, 30ft pole to mount dish/antenna on. A CLUE, let them know dont throw up your hands and say thats all i could do(my guy did not do this one,)

just my thoughts.
MR C.
http://www.geocities.com/cranjoford/wifi.html
]free wifi spot in San Antonio[/URL]

Wilt? Voom someone Please help?

well had another company come out to fix my OTA problem (all local channel in bedroom but only half of them in Liv. rm. ) They tried installing another antenna a wine guard square shooter which was not as good as my rca 3030 tried swapping box's from his trunk and changing diplexers still not getting half the locals only in liv room, he took many notes on my problem and said he would discuss this with his boss and they or voom would call me back, i suggested the cable to my liv room tv be replaced. I called voom and they said they would send someone out on the 12th to run a new wire per my request .

Does it matter that i have 3 voom receivers to my rca 3030 ota antenna (i do have a 26db amp to get all the locals in my bedroom nbc,cbs,pbs,abc,fox,wb ?
any other reasons i dont get all my channels in liv room ?
tried changing diplexors, amps, HDtv inputs,

I will say voom hasnt blinked or anything after requesting a service call : A+ for customer service so far. Installs Inc the jury is still out on theses folks.
:confused:

Thanks,

http://www.geocities.com/cranjoford/wifi.html
Free WiFi Drive-by Hotspot !!! MR.C

I've given up after wasting about 3 hours and $600 dollars worth of open boxed antenna's from Bjorns, Radio Shack, & Innovations. LOL. I'm going to wait till I move I guess. Seems that in order to get these other channels I'm going to have to get a larger antenna, even though I'm so close.

Glad you are up and running well though! I spend a lot more time on V* channels anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)