Sat 119 weird signal...

j5races

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 7, 2004
Hi, I am getting dropouts on the even transponders on sat 119. I switched cables from the dish 500 quad and it didnt change anything. I checked the signal strength and it shows as follows:

all the odd transponders are between 114-117

but the even transponders are all between like 74-82???

do i need to get the big ladder out and tweak hte dish or is this normal or is this the sign of a bad quad lnb ????? thanks guys, Jon

Depends. Are we talking about a DishPro installation? DishPro is sensitive to cabling and connector issues, and it shows up as trouble on the even transponders.

Make sure your RG-6 cable is rated to 2150MHz (probably is if you've been running for a while without trouble). Check the connectors for moisture issues - are there drip loops at the right places, weatherproofed connectors, oxidation on the center conductor?

Any sharp bends in the cable (this can fail for no 'good' reason weks or months after the install)?

Do you have any external switches (probably not)? What model receiver we talking about?

Finally, if it were a dish aiming issue, you'd likely see some trouble with both odd & even. But, how about giving us numbers for 110 and 119 - when quoting signal strength for 110/119 always give us the numbers for tp 11 and 12 - it's an easy consistent comparison across the board. Spotbeams can confuse the issue, and 11/12 are CONUS.

How do i know if its a dishpro setup? I cant get on the roof to see the dish tonight have to bring home the big ladder from work. Wait is legacy the same thing, think the dish network guy said it he was gonna use legacy stuff (but not sure what he put up on the roof, just know that both boxes show DISH 500 QUAD. Also its a 510 reciever (have a 6000 but rarely use it because i cant pause or replay etc :) It was all just installed about three weeks ago. The wire is high quality rg-6 straight from the dish runs are only about 40ft or so. There is no corrosion on the center conductors (not yet at least). Just one drip loop, but all wires are under the eaves after the dish. There are no switches just the quad lnb. Only thing i could think of, the third feed from the dish runs into the attic, but is not terminated just chilling in the attic could a small short(braids touching hte center conductor on that feed make it do weird stuff like this?? I dont understand it has been perfect for the past few weeks and now its all wierd. no clouds in the sky. Is Dish doing any maintanance on ther stuff right now??

the strength onthe 510 reciever: tp 12 on sat 119 is 85
tp 11 on sat 119 is 117
tp 12 on sat 110 is 88
tp 11 on sat 110 is 98

on the model 6000 reciever: tp 12 on sat 119 is 78
tp 11 on sat 119 is 106
tp 12 on sat 110 is 88
tp 11 on sat 110 is 90

thanks for the help. What else do you need to know??

Jon

One way to determine DishPro is to look for the big DP logo on the LNBF. Another is to count Check Switch steps (bet yours is 38 or 50 give or take). A third is to plug in the 6000 WITHOUT any hardware labeled "DishPro Adapter", and a fourth is to know that "DISH 500 QUAD" means it's Legacy. Finally, to remember that's what the installer said he was using works, too. You covered most of those bases. ;)

I'm gonna assume the 510 & the 6000 are on 2 separate feeds, so a too-sharp bend in the cable is less likely - but should be checked.

I doubt a cable whisker on an unused feed could be the problem - but it's still worth checking. While you're there, it's not a bad idea to put a barrel connector on the open end, and even a 75 Ohm terminator on that.

Anyway, a failing Quad is certainly a possbility - overall in consumer electronics, most failures happen in the first 90 days. And you should still be under the installation warranty time, so a call to service is definitely something to do.

ok, I just talked to dish and they told me its a cable issue. How could two different cables go bad exactly the same way at the same time?? The signal for the even transponders on both boxes is now 0!!!!!! so i would say its a bad dish 500 quad, but tech support assured me its most certainly a cable problem.... what a crock of %$^!

Any thing else that could cause the signal to go out in about three weeks on even transponders only?? Thanks Jon

Did you tell them it's a Legacy installation?

A typical CSR might've heard somewhere that bad cable caues even transponders to go out - with IF it's a DP install can be the cause.

Anyway, because it's a new install, even if the CSR is brain-dead, it's still THEIR problem. :)

So a DP lnb is sorta better...

Ok, so my friend moved and had his dish left over, tells me i can have it (he had only 1 522 box). So i pick up the dish a few minutes ago and its a dishpro. It has only 1 output on 110 side and 1 on the 119 side. So he either had a sw21 (but forgot to give it to me. anyway i put the DP lnb on my dish and my 510 box is perfect (shows a dp112-1 or -2 depending which feed is hooked up to it, has strong signal on sat 110 and 119 with no multiswitch) but my model 6000 show only sat 110 is hooked up a check switch on it only shows odd and even for sat 110 and says no switch.

My question is: I already ordered a sw44 for my dad (but he doesnt need it any more) so should i call dish back and tell them not to come out on sat. install the sw44 (didnt you say something about a dishpro adapter (for which box,) do i really need it).

or THE REAL question are legacy 500 quad reliable and have dish install a new one and try that?? Obviously my wires are fine if i replaced the lnb with a dp and the sat 119 is 100 strength and up on odd and even transponders....

What do you think trust dish to try another legacy or just go with the DP and use a multiswitch, Which is more reliable???

Thanks Jon

No, he didn't have an SW-21, and in fact an SW-21 can NOT work with a DP unit. Nor can a SW-44.

I don't understand what you mean by 110 on one side and 119 on the other. That only happens before you run a Check Switch. You DID run a Check Switch, right?

If you keep the DP LNBF you WILL need a DishPro Adapter in order to use the 6000.

WARNING: Once you've run a Check Switch with the DP LNBF, do NOT repeat NOT hook a Legacy LNBF unit up to the 510 without clearing it's switch matrix! You can blow the Legacy LNBF if you do not.

Yes, your cables are fine if it's working with a DishPro unit - they are much more picky about cable than Legacy.

oh yeah sorry i thought it was like my dad setup with the 110 side and the 119 side, but i was wrong. anyhow should i have DISH install another legacy setup and give it a try or try to have them give me a dishadapter for the 6000. Are the legacy quad setups very unreliable or is this a freak failure?

I understand what you mean about clearing the switch before i reinstall the legacy lnb. thanks for the warning!

How would you use more then 2 boxes with a dishpro lnbf if i add a third box in a few months? I thought the sw44 was the way to go...what is needed??? thanks Jon

Legacy Quads usually work fine.

If you've said you're still under warranty, I've forgotten it. If you aren't then you're on your own money wise, and the Legacy Quad will be the best way out.

If you're going with the DP Twin, then a DP34 is the necessary switch. DPP44 will work but is overkill for you. Another option is to get a DP Quad. Either way, you need a DP Adapter for the old box.

None of this is free, and it's not even real likely that you can get a DP Adapter instead of a replacement Legacy Quad - just because no one at E* will be able to figure that one out - except maybe via email to ceo@dishnetwork.com

SW switches are for Legacy LNBFs ONLY.

if you have legacy setup, your max. cable run is 100 feet. after that u need inline amp. in your case it sounds like bad quad, check if your system is ground and check cable connections. Call your local retailer. and have them fix it. typical service call will be between $100 and 200.

It was just installed by dish 3 weeks ago so i am not paying. So you think i should just have them install a new legacy quad and not push for the dishpro adapter??

Is the dishpro any better with the 24v and all or is it the same??? thanks Jon

There are 2 basic advantages of DP - cable length and ease of expansion. The downside is only high-grade RG-6 is acceptable, but that only affects installations that are trying to use existing cable.

Also, DP may have a higher signal to noise ratio, which would improve resistance to rain fade.

AFAIK, DP is NOT 24volts. Where did you hear that?

As for PQ and such, there is NO difference between Legacy and DP.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)