Sat Input 1 of my 625 fails the switch test

StevenMark

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
I have a new 625 receiver and a new DP quad LNB I’m trying to install. When I run the switch test, the Sat input 1 input always fails. The screen shows Status: Reception Verified, and Switch: None. (Sat Input 2 finds the DP quad)I reversed the two cables on the receiver and re-ran the test with same results. I tried different outputs of the LNB and the result was the same: Sat Input 1 always fails.

I called DishNetwork this morning and described the problem. The support tech told me I should utilize just one cable from the DP quad and run it through the separator that came with my receiver. I emphasized my LNB is not PLUS, it is just DP. He sad that’s OK, the minimum requirement is DP. I’m not so sure about that but he’s the professional and I’m the do-it-yourselfer. I have not tried that arrangement yet.

More background: I’m currently using a legacy twin LNB on a Dish 500 antenna feeding 2 legacy receivers. All new quad shield 3.0 GHz cable, no metal staples, and just one splice in the cable where the grounding block goes. The cable run is about 50-feet. Reception is excellent. This is the antenna and cabling I’m using when trying to bring up the 625.

Any thoughts what the problem may be?

Since you mentioned already swapping the feeds and the problem stays on Input 1, I'm inclined to believe you have a defective receiver. And for the record, the CSR you spoke to is greatly misinformed. As you deduced, the separators only work with DPP technology, not DP.

Just out of curiosity, you mentioned also have a Legacy twin. You bought the DP Quad in the hopes of power all 3 receivers?

Are you using one dish 500 with a legacy twin to two legacy receivers and then another dish with a dp quad feeding the 625?

It's the same dish. I power down the legacy receivers, disconnect them, then swap out the Legacy Twin for the DP Quad and attach the 625.

Just out of curiosity, you mentioned also have a Legacy twin. You bought the DP Quad in the hopes of power all 3 receivers?

No, I'm retiring the legacy receivers and have another 625 on the way.

I've been running the same legacy receivers for about 5 years and decided it was time upgrade. If I had it to do over again, I probably would have bought the DP Plus twin (less cabling) but didn't do my research before buying. Oh well, redundancy is good.

can you get a dp plus twin and diplexers to hooks up both 625?

With the DP PLUS twin, I think I could run a single cable to each receiver, and use separators at the receivers.

Not really sure what a 'diplexer' does. I'm still trying to learn what does what in the Dish Network world. My legacy system was an easy plug 'n play installation so I wasn't forced to learn much. But that's sidebar.

My gut tells me it's a receiver problem, like webbydude said.

Last edited:
If you get 4 holland diplexers and a dpplus twin each line off the twin can feed each receiver as you would use one diplexer on the back of each receiver and one off each end of the ground block. do you have the tools to make your own connectors with your cable?

Yes, I have all the tools for installing connectors. But, I do not see how this would fix the problem. DP quad with four lines or DPP twin with two lines and two diplexers (separators) - I expect the result should be the same. No?

Try clearing the switch matrix, sometimes that helps.

Disconnect satellite feed and run check switch.
Connect satellite feed and run check switch.

Sounds like a bad sat tuner 1 but it's worth trying.

I just got back from having the receiver professionally tested. It's a bad box. Low voltage on Sat Input 1. It has just 1.8 volts and should have between 18 and 20.

Funny thing is my 625 is having a problem as well. After doing multiple switch checks, I get this:

Satellite Input 1
Missing: Port 1A Sat 119 Odd

Satellite Input 2 is fine, but because of this, I don't get any picture. I called dish, and they said it was a receiver problem. Well this will be my 4th 625 receiver because of this SAME problem over the last year and a half almost!!!! Grrrr..... This is getting really, really old. I lose my DVR stuff, I can't watch my damn shows, and I'm sick of it. Anyone have any ideas so that i don't have to give up this box?

BTW, sorry to hijack your thread, I just wanted to share about my 625 issues, and it just went down hill from there.

BTW, sorry to hijack your thread . . .

No problem. It had run its course as far as I was concerned now that I know the box is faulty.

I have never had to contact Dish because of a receiver problem (am still running 6-year old legacy boxes). How would that normally work? Does Dish ship you a new receiver, or do they send it with an installer? I'm the DIY type so I actually prefer to have it sent to me.

Another wrinkle . . . I bought my box on eBay - brand new, never has been in service. The seller will take it back and refund me, but says I can call Dish and they will send me a new one for a small fee which he will pay.

Does that sound right? Will Dish deal with me on this?

Exactly. Dish is sending me a new box, and I'm gonna hook it up. I've also done satellite hook ups, but have not run into this problem. I wish I knew what it was. I'm hoping that my box isn't faulty, and that its maybe something else. But with the history i've had with the 625, im sure it is faulty. Third time wasn't the charm, hopefully this will be. The average life of these things for me have been 6 months. That is really getting on my nerves.

I called Dish this morning and they won't play ball. The CSR said since I did not but the box directly from them, there is no warranty and they will not repair or replace it.

I called Dish this morning and they won't play ball. The CSR said since I did not but the box directly from them, there is no warranty and they will not repair or replace it.

Try again. With Dish Network you have to talk to different CSRs, they all have a different story. No matter where you bought the receiver, the 1 yr. warranty should still cover it.