SAT RECEIVER TO REMOTE TV VIA WI-FI?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

fayrich

Old Fart
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2004
CLEVELAND, OHIO AREA
Wondering if it is possible to use a slingbox or other such device to get satellite channels to a remote tv with wi-fi set-up in my house. I have a smart tv in our patio enclosure that is using a terrestrial tv antenna hook-up only. Impossible to get any wiring out to it, but it hooks up nicely to the wi-fi router. Saw a slingbox available yesterday for a good price and the research I did says it can hook up any device such as a satellite receiver to other devices including TV's anywhere. Am I totally barking up the wrong tree here? I don't want to spend the money only to find out that this cannot be done. Any help from experts on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

What TV service do you have? Some cable companies like Time Warner have Roku apps that will work for you. A joey could probably be run there on Dish (if you have good enough wifi).

Do you have coax out there?

What satellite service do you have? Directv has the Genie wireless client,& Dish Network should be coming out with the wireless Joey this quarter. Of course you also have TiVo wireless clients if you have cable.

As far as slingbox goes,you can hook up a slingbox to your satellite/cable stb,then hook it up to your router. I don't have any of the new slingbox's,I have 2 Slingbox HD Pro's. I prefer them because they allow you to use digital audio cable & the new boxes don't. For your tv in your patio,you need to get a Western Digital WD TV stb. It runs on Wi-Fi & connects to your slingbox wirelessly,allowing you to watch on your patio tv.

Thanks guys. I appreciate your all of your suggestions. However, since I do not wish to add any more Directv equipment along with the additional charges, I have continued my search for a viable solution for my situation. I believe I have found the best answer, and picked up some equipment yesterday. I will attempt the install today and will report on the results be they good or bad.

:happyd2:SUCCESS!! Installed the new set-up yesterday and I am totally blown away at the performance. It took me only a few minutes to complete the hook-up, and it worked right out of the box. I am sitting out in our patio enclosure as I write this with the tv wirelessly playing from my DTV box in the living room. There is absolutely no degradation in the HD quality. Looks as good as the tv that is directly hooked up to the box. Now for specifics for those who may be interested - The system is an Actiontec "MyWirelessTv" kit. I purchased it at my local Best Buy. You can look it up on-line for the description and specs. It can be quite pricey depending on where you look, but I was lucky to find it at a good savings at Best Buy. It is on sale thru Sunday for $179.99. Would recommend checking the reviews on Amazon to see the opinions and experiences of others. It apparently does not work with some cable boxes according to reviews. But with my DTV box it's like having another full functioning box out here without the hassle of wires. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will continue to work long term. Will be happy to answer any questions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts