Sat TV on PC Screen using USB stick

MITooPicky

Original poster
Jan 29, 2009
Los Angeles
I have a dual DishNetwork receiver and get HD TV in my living room and standard TV in a bedroom. I would like to watch TV from my computer monitor in my gym/office. I understand that if I split the signal to the bedroom I will be forced to watch the same thing on both TVs.

I bought a USB TV Stick for my computer made by KWorld that let's you plug it into a USB port and then connect the coaxial cable to the other end.

The problem is that I cannot get the software to detect any channels through auto scan. It does not allow me to manually enter a channel (which I guess would be channel 73 like the bedroom TV?)

The device says it will detect Cable and UNENCRYPTED QAM. Is this the problem? Does the signal from my satellite receiver require me to get a device that can handle a specific signal? What specs/words should I be looking for?

Thanks!

Make sure the DVR settings for TV 2 are set to cable and not air. Chan 73 over the air is a different frequency than chan 73 over cable. :D

-Space

Do you have your Dish receiver and your USB tuner set to the same band? Broadcast channels and cable channels are on different frequencies from channel 14 upward.

Jim
I am not sure about the bands. I can't see where I would be able to change that on the USB. I suppose it's designed at a set frequency. But what about the receiver? Is there a place where can I find the band?

Space
I will double check to make sure I set TV 2 to cable....(although I'm pretty sure I tried all the options available).

Bear with me....are you familiar with the set up screen that asks you to select Cable/Off Air/URC/IFC (<-- not sure about the last two)? It is also where you select the resolution and screen ratio. What is the CABLE/OFF AIR referring to there....is that where cable should be selected? Or is that related to the remote control for TV2?

Sorry if this sounds a bit naive. Thank you both!

Some of these USB sticks will receive ATSC (OTA digital) and QAM (cable digital) but not analog.
Could this be your problem?
It will not get the output of the Dish receiver, which is analog, no matter the channel number.
-Ken

Some of these USB sticks will receive ATSC (OTA digital) and QAM (cable digital) but not analog.
Could this be your problem?

Nice catch. My read of the KWorld web site is that their USB tuner stick that supports QAM does NOT include an analog tuner, and the one that does include an analog tuner does not support QAM.

I think the OP has this: USB ATSC TV Stick (UB435-Q)

ATSC435-Q_colorbox.jpg

and not this: USB ATSC/Analog TV Stick (ATSC 330U)

ATSC330U_colorbox.jpg

It is true that the Home Distribution output (Agile Modulator) on these recievers is strictly analog, regardless of the Air/Cable setting. If the USB stick is indeed digital only, it will not be able to make use of the signal coming from that output.

This is all very helpful.

Buddy....The stick I bought is the UB435-Q. Are you saying the other model (ATSC+NTSC 330) would be more likely to work?

You can't tune analog TV with the one you bought. The TV2 modulated output that you watch on your bedroom TV is an analog signal. The one you bought can only receive digital TV - either over the air, or cable, but not analog TV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts