Satellite 118 Signal or LNB issue?

Dish416

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Detroit
Question,

I have about 13 ethnic channels in my programming from satellite 118 but only 2 are coming through, the rest say something to the effect of 'signal loss issues'. Also, there is a tree he claims is slightly in the way of satellite 129 resulting in some of my HD channels not coming through.

My local installer claims I have a bad LNB for satellite 118. So I am just wondering, if I indeed have a bad LNB would these 2 ethnic channels still come through or would I get absolutely nothing from satellite 118? I do believe there is a tree in the way of 129, but 118 is my main issue. I wonder if maybe 118 is also being affected by this tree...

Thanks !

118 signal.

That would have to be a pretty big tree to interfere with both 129 and 118. 118 is an fss satellite and the signal coming from there is quite a bit weaker than other Dishnet satellites. Accordingly the dish also needs to be aimed very precisely. I would guess that your dish needs to be peaked. Not all transponders on a given satellite have the same signal strength, so as in your case a couple of the stronger transponders could give you a picture wheras the weaker ones would not. It is possible that the lnb is weak and not giving you full signal strength but it seems to me it is probably an alignment issue.

Installers when they install a dish are only required to meet a minimum signal level and that does not always mean that the dish is peaked for maximum signal especially for 118. The Dishnet dma chart shows that in Detroit sat.119 tp21 should have a 79 signal level. TP 14 should be 67, TP15 should be 78 and TP 16 should be 77.

My signal stats:

Satellite 119 TP21 = 36
Satellite 119 TP14 = 16
Satellite 119 TP15 = 38
Satellite 119 TP16 = 27

Considering 2 channels are still coming through from satellite 118, doesn't this mean my LNB is working fine and line of sight is the issue? Or could it still be the LNB?

One thing you can do is check the signal strength on satellite 110. That would give you 19 degrees separation from 129 and be further from the tree. The signal strengths on 110 in Detroit should be about: tp14-69, tp15-73, tp16-72 and tp21-74. If your signal strengths are low on this one too then alignment is probably your issue. Another thing is that most trees have lost their leaves now so that usually will allow more signal to get through.

if all sats are low now with the leaves off, it definitely sounds like an alignment issue
most 118 transponders max out in the high 40s low 50s
the 118 dish should also have the reinforcement struts on it. They don't get installed way too often.

can you safely get to your dish? if so, try raising the elevation by 1-2 degrees and recheck your signal level

In the south where I worked before and in the northwest now, I typically will check xponders 1,2,24 & 25 on the 118 sat and try and have them at signal of 50 or above, higher is preferred. These were the benchmarks I always and still use for 118. If they are good all the channels on that bird should be good.

although 118 is at lower power than dbs, the larger reflectors used for 118 installs makes up for the lower powered fss at 118, but 118 will still have slightly lower points in strength compared to 110, 119, and 129, but 118 will still be at relable strength even at the lower signal strength numbers. After being peaked properly, do not expect 118 to read as strong as the other sats.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts