satellite 148 w/ Dish500?

kryong

Original poster
Dec 14, 2006
Currently I have Dish500 with twin LNB to get satellite 119 and 110. Is it possible to have satellite 148 by sacrificing one of them? Does it require LNB change or software/installtion setup change?

Or, I'd better have additional dish for (additional) sat 148? I have small dish (I think it is 18" dish which is used for local channels). With Dish500 & twin LNB, they disconnect it saying I don't need 18" dish anymore. Can I use that dish to get signals from sat 148?

Thanks,

:what :what :what

Only thing I can tell you for sure is that 148 will require a seperate dish and that dish will pick up the 148 only and nothing else. Too many degrees of seperation for one dish to get 148 and something else.

You can buy an "I" bracket to make a Dish 500 into a 300 using a dual (one eye) LNBF. A twin has two "eyes." Or, yes you could use the 18" dish. You would also need an external switch to get 110,119, and 148 unless you have DishProPlus Twin.

http://www.dishstore.net/product_info.php?cPath=65&products_id=146

What are you needing the 148 for?? Could probably give you better advice if we know more about what you are trying to accomplish.

Last edited:
I had Top 60 w/ Dish500 & Local channels w/ Dish500[Correction]. When I upgrade my receiver to DVR, the technician changes LNB in Dish500 (to Twin LNB) and disconnected extra Dish500[Correction], saying I don't need second Dish for local channels anymore.

Now that I know Top60 program is changed to Top100 with some more channels at the same price. One of additional channels (KBS international) requires satellite either 148, 121, 118.7 or 61.5. Even though Top60 subscribers can watch Top100 channels, I can't do it because my Dish500 has 110 & 119 only.

So, my question is, how can I use extra Dish500 [Correction] (used for local channels before, don't know which satellite) to get sat 148? Can I use the same external switch (SW21) which is left on my roof? or should I purchase SW64?

Last edited:
have you moved the "extra" dish yet? cause if not, i'm guessing it is already pointed at 61.5.
as far as using the old SW21. not if the installer changed out your old lnb's for a DishPro Twin. (the front of the casing will say DishPro) If the twin has the Dish Network logo on the front of it, then yes, you can use the SW21 switch.
Let us know what version of the twin you have and we'll tell ya what you need to hook it back up.
O, and if it is a DishPro lnb, don't purchase anything SW..., cause it won't work.

I just tried to connect using SW21, but it doesn't work. Sometimes it shows sat 110/119 (no 148), but sometimes it shows only sat 148 w/ bad reception. With birddoggy's comments, I checked the LNB of original Dish500. It shows "plus". So I think the installer replaced LNB to Dishpro Plus Twin, and disconnect the second Dish500. I think the 2nd Dish500 has one dual LNB, pointing at sat 148 only.

So now, if I connect the 2nd Dish500 to right coex connection in DishPro Plus Twin, then am I all set? (No need for SW21).

So now, if I connect the 2nd Dish500 to right coex connection in DishPro Plus Twin, then am I all set? (No need for SW21).

since the other installer put on a DPP twin, then the lnb on the second dish, must also be DishPro. So if it doesnt have the DP written on the casing, it won't work.
Find a local retailer, pick up a DP single or dual. Put that on the second dish, and run a wire from that into the input port on the DPP Twin and you should be good to go.

Let me ask a question here (no response by email from DISH Tech support since I asked this a couple days ago).

I have had my DISH installed since late October so I'm not totally familiar with all the model number/switch/LNB lingo.

My dish is a DISH 500 (I know it covers 110 and 119). My LNBF says "DP PLUS" on it.

The coax to my house is hooked up on Port 1. Port 2 is empty and there is another empty port labeled "LNB IN". A fourth port is missing (or sealed off) so it's not usable.

I have a DIRECTV dish from when I had DIRECTV service (950-1450 Block freqs used with that old-style LNBF).

Can I point my DIRECTV dish to 148 deg W, hook up a coax between the DIRECTV dish and the "LNB IN" port of my DISH 500 and then have service on my 625 from 110, 119 and 148? Or will my DIRECTV LNB freqs clobber one of the LNBFs from my DISH 500 (I see my DISH 500 has a band from 950-1450 and a band that is probably 1450-1950 or 1550-2050 MHz so the 110 deg LNBF is on one of those bands and the 119 deg LNBF is on the other band, but I"m not sure which band is which LNB).

Thanks.

Skysurfer -

You were doin' good on many of your thoughts ... except the one glaring error on LNB type will kill you.

The LNB in the old DirecTV dish (single LNB & 18" dish, I assume) would be Legacy.
If you could put a DishPro LNB out there, you'd be done.

Problem is, all Dish LNBs (both Legacy and dishPro) have a base shaped like a "D" and won't readily fit the DirecTV mounting arm.
If you want to get creative, you could probably modify the LNB mounting arm a little to get it to fit.
Depends on your mechanical skill level and how pretty you want it to look.
If you do some metal work, make sure you protect the raw metal from the elements. :)

what's special about the Dishpro LNB compared to the legacy LNB?

Does the DISHPro use a frequency band that wouldn't clobber the existing bands used by the 110 and the 119 deg LNBs on the coax?
Or does DISH do some special kind of commanding (22 khz tone or diseqc switching, etc.) that a legacy LNB cannot provide and thus a legacy LNB won't work?

I can homebrew up things (I have for my big sat dishes) so I'm sure I can make a dishpro LNB work on a directv dish. Thanks to you, I know my legacy LNB won't work and I need to purchase a dishpro LNB.

The DishPro LNBs use bandstacking, where they put both the vertical and horizontal polarity signals (actually, right and left twist) onto the cable at the same time.
They do that by putting one on in the regular place, and the other one shifted up in frequency.
Do a search for more info.
(the Legacy LNBs put V or H -down- the cable, depending on whether they receive 13 volts or 18 volts -up- the cable)

I've seen posts claiming there are dishPro compatible LNBs from 3rd parties, which have the standard rectangular base like a DirecTV LNB.
Personally, I've never seen one, but give a search here on the forum.
Might save you some metal work. :)

Dish 500 with LNBs missing

Hi, I am totally new to this. I have Dish 500 with missing 2 sets of LNBs. I assume when i bought this house the previous owner disconnected the service and the technician removed the LNBs

In any case, if i want to pick either 121 Or 148 Or 61.5, do i need to add another dish? If yes, which one is reasonable to use? I already have 4 Coax connections wired up that go directly to the Dish. How can i connect another dish to existing setup?

Thanks a lot

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)