Satellite and storms

Its really not that bad if the dish is "peaked" properly. That being said, I've always had to call to get "re-peaked" after the initial install.

Don't get me wrong, it will go out in heavy storms for a few minutes. But I normally loose cable (internet) from time to time as well. Bad storms are just bad storms. Strong storms kill cable systems (power outages) and block satellite signals.

I always know it's about to rain because I lose signal. By the time the rain actually gets here it's usually back on. Very annoying, but I'm going to be cutting down a couple of trees that might be interfering in the next few weeks so hopefully it'll get better.

The only time I have problems is in the winter due to the snow build up on the dish, but that's only a few times each winter when we get monster storms with a few inches per hour, but nothing a broom can't handle. Rain storms don't affect my dish.

I always know it's about to rain because I lose signal. By the time the rain actually gets here it's usually back on. Very annoying, but I'm going to be cutting down a couple of trees that might be interfering in the next few weeks so hopefully it'll get better.

My experience exactly, however I have had an occasion or two where the heavy rain never arrives my house -- but the cloud producing it is close enough to block the signal. So the term "rain fade" is a little misleading. But I guess it's the simplest term w/o trying to explain it to the non-techy subscribers.

Watched TV during and after a 100 plus wind storm on the Oregon coast in 2007. Dish only dropped a few times from rain fade and never required adjusting later. My phone and DSL were out 7-10 days and local cable was no better.

I always know it's about to rain because I lose signal. By the time the rain actually gets here it's usually back on.
Very annoying, but I'm going to be cutting down a couple of trees that might be interfering in the next few weeks so hopefully it'll get better.

Same exact scenario here. When it goes out it is usually a whopper of a t-storm.

I think of it as my early warning system...

I've only had dish for about a year, so my experience is based on a fairly short amount of time with satellite TV.

I've only had one storm system cause problems in the past year. The storm clouds were EXTREMELY thick, and covered the entire state of Ohio, especially to the south and west of me. The signal was having to travel though miles and miles of storm clouds.

-SF

I honestly feel it depends on where you are located and well peaked your dish is. As you can see the answers are not totally conclusive. I can tell you that we always loose 61.5 (HD) when ever there is a heavy rain. Yes it is more the rain cloud than the rain but still still... According to the local retailer who did my install our signal strength is perfect for the area so....
However we rarely loose signals on the 110/119.

Ross

rain knocks out my GloryStar signals

Are satellite signals affected much by storms?
I have a fairly recently installed (by a very handy friend) GloryStar dish with one old and one new GloryStar receiver hooked up to the dish with a GloryStar 4 way splitter and 2 GloryStar signal boosters. Whenever we get any rain both receivers shut down - no programs until something dries out. Does anyone out there know what part of the antenna system I should put waterproofing on ?

I used to have a 110/119 with a 61.5 wing and I generally lost service maybe once per year, it was very reliable. Since I upgraded to EA about 6 weeks ago, it constantly goes out....very annoying. I don't know what to do about it either, no trees in the way and the dish is up on the roof. I guess because it has to hit all 3 sat's it can't be peaked as high as my old one was.

Same as jadiff stated. Very seldom lost signal until upgrade to Eastern
Arc. Now it goes out much more often with storms.

Same as jadiff stated. Very seldom lost signal until upgrade to Eastern
Arc. Now it goes out much more often with storms.

Where are you located? I'm in Central Pa.

This is very frustrating! What options do I have though? I already had them back out and thye replaced the lnbf because they said the signal was fine. Maybe I'm in some kind of pocket or I should see if i can go back to 110/119 61 wing, but I don't really think that is an option.

Anyone have suggestions for those of us with these problems?

Where are you located? I'm in Central Pa.

This is very frustrating! What options do I have though? I already had them back out and thye replaced the lnbf because they said the signal was fine. Maybe I'm in some kind of pocket or I should see if i can go back to 110/119 61 wing, but I don't really think that is an option.

Anyone have suggestions for those of us with these problems?

I recently had the EA dish installed and the 110/119/61.5 dishes removed. I've noticed that I've lost the signal more often and for a longer period of time.

If it happens during the next t-storm, I'll call Dish and see what they say.

This is the one that I'm looking at... :rolleyes:

Arecibo.arp.750pix.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts