Satellite channels go blank

ride525

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
SF Bay Area, California
I have an 811 receiver, version 269.

Once a day, for the last three days when someone is changing channels, going to a Dish satellite channel, suddenly most every Dish channel goes blank. The channel number and program show, but never anything but blank. Funny thing is, channel 101 and 103 work.

Reset fixes it, but too much of a hassle every day!

Yesterday blank episode also took out OTA digitals, but OTA analogs worked.
Today's episode both OTA digitals and analogs worked.

Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks for you help.

I've had it happen on a single channel, not always the same one, both DBS and OTA. Switching around channels always resets it and I eventually get a picture. Didn't happen before 269.

I have had this happen a couple of times, all prior to 269. The problem would occur when I was doing what I call agressive channel surfing. I think when you are rapidly switching between the diiferent tuners i.e., between the OTA analog, OTA digital and satellite tuner, the receiver gets confused and this problem occurs. You need to be more gentle with the 811, it is still in its infancy.

ECM = Electronic Counter Measure and companies do this addition of code into the video stream to thrawt the stealing of their signals. Sometimes the code disrupts normal legit viewing.

I noticed this behavior before as well. Have not seen it since 269. I was also able to get channels 101 & 103. Also could get NASA TV. Seems to have something to do with confusing the decoder for the encrypted signals, as the only channels available were FTA. Another bug to add to the list.

had the same problem myself. Called up DN. They of course replied "Haven't heard of this problem" but they quickly RMA'ed my receiver so something must be up.

Cheers,
Sam

Just had this happen to me about 15 minutes ago...finally had to reboot. Took forever to acquire the signal when it powered back up!

DWS44 said:
Just had this happen to me about 15 minutes ago...finally had to reboot. Took forever to acquire the signal when it powered back up!

Same here. Three times since 269. Never happened before 269. It always happens after surfing the EPG. Perhaps this is an old bug that has been aggravated by the code in 269.

When did 2.69 come through?
I've had this problem for over a month now. It seems to lock up mostly when I jump from OTA to sat HD channels quick. Everything goes blank and I have to hard reset it which takes like 15 minutes or so.... :mad:
Once it actually froze while *aquiring sat* and I had to unplug the sucker!

Called DN last time and they said if it happens again, give them a call and they will replace the unit!?!

I also have some of the other issues people are talking about. Like the TNT DD choppy audio and such.

Are the new receivers actually fixed, or are they just cycling them to shut us up?

I too have noticed the problems, but I only notice it after I have been viewing OTA DTV channels for a program and then switching back. It is more annoying then when you switch back and there is no program info.

This has been happening to me on average twice a day, ever since I got the 269 update. This never happened before 269, but I did get the acquiring satellite bug prior to 269. I wish Dish would get their act together and provide a decent piece of equipment to view HD. Besides the blank screen bug, I will get the "frozen screen" bug, where when I switch to a satellite channel (not sure if I necessarily have to be coming from an OTA) the screen will freeze, then the receiver shuts itself off. None of this garbage prior to 269 rev.

Blank 811

Have had the 811 for two weeks. Last night all channels, and OTA digital went blank except for sirius music channels. Resets did not work. Finally after about the fourth time (two hours time) of reacquiring the guide, the channels finally came on. Hope this is not a frequent occurrence. Reassuring to know I am not alone.

Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)