Satellite Dish Chimney Mount

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Phalaenopsis

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 24, 2017
NA
For a while now I wanted to mount my dish on my chimney. My chimney is structurally strong and it’s not used for anything. My furnace exhaust is in another place. What do you think of this RCA mount? Is it a good choice or not? Thanks
RCA DSS chimney mount | eBay

For a while now I wanted to mount my dish on my chimney. My chimney is structurally strong and it’s not used for anything. My furnace exhaust is in another place. What do you think of this RCA mount? Is it a good choice or not? Thanks
RCA DSS chimney mount | eBay
I think those were originally made for mounting an 18" dish to your chimney. Don't know what the weight limit is so you should consider the size of your current dish plus whether you will be motorizing it before purchasing. Probably the biggest consideration is if you live in Michigan I assume you get a lot of snow. Do you have a safe and reliable way to clean the snow off every time it snows (and do you want to do so :rolleyes:). If so, Solid Signal likely sells a 'beefier' mount. :)

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I think those were originally made for mounting an 18" dish to your chimney. Don't know what the weight limit is so you should consider the size of your current dish plus whether you will be motorizing it before purchasing. Probably the biggest consideration is if you live in Michigan I asssume you get a lot of snow. Do you have a safe and reliable way to clean the snow off every time it snows (and do you want to do so :rolleyes:). If so, Solid Signal likely sells a 'beefier' mount. :)

Yep. I’ll look into the solid signal mount and yes, I can clean the snow off pretty easily

Reactions: FTA4PA
I’d be nervous about mounting a 1.2 meter dish on a chimney... that’s a lot of surface area and in Michigan there is wind and snow... that’s why I didn’t put my dish on the roof.. nervous about damage

I don’t have one yet. For now it’s a 76cm. I just wanna future proof it

Anole gave the best advice to us. He once said keep the dish on the ground so its easier to work with unless otherwise.

What happened to Anole? Haven’t heard from him in a long time. I want to mount it high because I can’t get G19 at all. I got 95@99w but no 97w

76cm planning to upgrade to (hopefully) a 1.2 meter, after I find one
I’d be nervous about mounting a 1.2 meter dish on a chimney... that’s a lot of surface area and in Michigan there is wind and snow... that’s why I didn’t put my dish on the roof.. nervous about damage
A 76cm would probably be ok on the chimney but agree with comfortably_numb regarding a 1.2m being best on the ground in a snowy, high wind area. If you go ahead you might want to use two sets of mounts (four strap assemblies instead of two) and add a base plate to help sturdy it - maybe something like this one (EasyUp Heavy-Duty Roof Mount Fits Mast Up To 2-5/8 Inch (EZ 19B) from Solid Signal). Definitely don't want it coming loose in a storm and becoming a projectile. :eek::)

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Definitely don't want it coming loose in a storm and becoming a projectile. :eek::)

FC3A95C0-B5EA-4D6C-AF70-F68AF7A08A01.jpeg

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts