Satellite Dish Installation and Future Problems?

steelyd14

Original poster
Aug 3, 2011
Denver, CO
IMG_2571.JPGIMG_2572.JPG

I just had a satellite dish installed on the NW corner of my house (dish faces south). Trees on my lot and proximity to neighbors' houses really only left the roof line as an option. It was done professionally, and I have to no reason to suspect poor workmanship. The installer was very competent and said the mount went in "solid." I am assuming it's screwed into the rafter behind the fascia board. I just want to get the forum's take on it, and make sure I'm not setting myself up for problems down the road.

1. Wind - Over time could wind weaken this corner of the roof (i.e. just the rafter befind the fascia or something more serious)?
2. Snow - Could snow build up on the dish and put too much stress on this corner of the roof?
3. Leak - Is this type of installation prone to leaks in the soffit area?
4. Anything else I'm not considering? Or am I wasting my time worrying about nothing?!

I know there's no 100% guarantee with any satellite dish installation. I just want to be able to sleep at night if you know what I mean! Thank you for the comments.

Looks like a solid mount. Board looks painted and dry. If the board stays healthy then I would so no problem. And that would be the same if the dish was there or not. Not enough snow can stick to dish to add that much weight. I would say you are a hypochondriac but this is not medical. ;)

It really depends if he hit anything behind the fascia board and if he pre-drilled it. Those boards split very easily if lagged without pilot holes.
If most of the lags are only in the 1x6, it could become an issue.
It also looks like he might have used an extended mast, although it could just be the angle of the photos. If it is, it should have at least 1 strut on it.

By looking at the picture I can guarantee he hit a rafter (there is always a rafter at the end of eve). I wouldn't worry about enough slow building on it to be an issue, and a 1000.2 doesn't require any additional struts on the mast (it's not heavy enough to require them). If the rest of his work is as nice as I see there then you should be just fine.

... If the rest of his work is as nice as I see there then you should be just fine.
I am not an installer, however should there not be a drip loop in the cable coming out of the base of the mast heading off behind the eaves?

I am not an installer, however should there not be a drip loop in the cable coming out of the base of the mast heading off behind the eaves?

Dish prefers the cable be run into the bottom on the mast, out the top of the mast, and then thru the arm to the LNB, which forms a natural drip/service loop. The dish is too high up in the picture to really see the cable. This pertains to the 500 and 1000.2 dish. The 1000.4 dish caps the mast and the cable has to be zip-tied to the outside of the mast.

Thank you all for your responses.

@budda - LOL, I'm probably borderline OCD!
@TimberWolf - I don't know if he pre-drilled, but I'm pretty sure he screwed it into more than just the fascia board. He also didn't say anything about needing an extended mast.
@scoobyxj - The entire installation looks very neat and tidy.
@SaltiDawg - If you look real close in image 1 (I get a much larger version when I click on it) you can see a drop in the cable between the bottom of the mast and the eave. Therefore I think there's already a point where the water will fall off the cable.
@Dr.Pepper - The cable is zip tied to the mast.

Again, thank you for all the feedback. My overall impression is that this installation does not raise any red flags for serious problems in the future.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)