Satellite finder/meter and 22 KHz tone

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

pestie

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 12, 2005
Spring Hill, FL
I saw a reference in another post somewhere to the fact that the 22 KHz tone used for universal LNB's (among other things) can render cheap satellite finder/meters useless. I have a very cheap meter from eBay and it seems to work just fine with or without the 22 KHz tone.

The only weird thing I noticed about it was that it worked a whole lot better with 14V on the coax than 18V. At 14 I was able to get actual signal strength readings, so I could back off the dial and see the signal go up or down as I moved the dish slightly. At 18V, the meter seemed to always read full-scale or nothing, no matter how carefully I set the dial. But it did that whether I had the 22 KHz tone on or off. So what's the deal? Do I just have a slightly better meter than some, or am I missing something?

That's a good question. Unfortunately I do not know the answer. :)
That might explain why my el cheapo meter has a light on it that says 22Khz tone detected though. I wondered why there would be a need for such an indicator. I always use it with a battery back though so I never had a voltage issue (yet).

Universal LNBFs require 22k tone to direct them to switch to the upper frequency range (where 99.999 percent of US FTA is located). Without this tone, the LNBF defaults to the lower frequency range (in the US, Cubavision is all that is there). So unless the meter passes the 22k tone to switch the LNBF to the upper range, the LNBF won't see anything except Cubavision.

Apparently, Sadoun, one of this sites sponsors, is selling a meter that will work with 22k and thus will work with universal LNBFs. Many of the meters out there, however, won't.

OK, that was exactly my understanding of the situation. I didn't realize that some meters didn't pass the 22 KHz tone. Apparently mine does, 'cause I need it (I have a universal LNB) and my receiver sees what it should when the meter's inline. Thanks.

pestie said:
I saw a reference in another post somewhere to the fact that the 22 KHz tone used for universal LNB's (among other things) can render cheap satellite finder/meters useless. I have a very cheap meter from eBay and it seems to work just fine with or without the 22 KHz tone.
The only weird thing I noticed about it was that it worked a whole lot better with 14V on the coax than 18V. At 14 I was able to get actual signal strength readings, so I could back off the dial and see the signal go up or down as I moved the dish slightly. At 18V, the meter seemed to always read full-scale or nothing, no matter how carefully I set the dial. But it did that whether I had the 22 KHz tone on or off. So what's the deal? Do I just have a slightly better meter than some, or am I missing something?

I had the same problem with the full-scale on my cheap satellite finder, it is nearly impossible to fine tune the dish with the 18v, in fact I was having problems even with the 14v.
I am now using a 9.6 volt RV toy battery as the power supply for the meter, it works great! Also it is a lot easier only having to hook the LNBF side up to the meter.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts