Satellite Guys to the rescue again

bwexler

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 29, 2007
San Marcos, CA
We had an uncommon thunderstorm here in So Cal this morning and a momentary power outage.
That was enough to shut down my 2 HWS. My wife was watching one ad it came back up on its own in a few minutes.
A couple hours latter I checked the other one. It was stuck on the starting up screen. After a few minutes I tried the red button reset. No joy. I try pulling the plug for 30 seconds. Still no joy. While waiting for the starting up screen to go away I called Dish. Now counting 6, 7, 8 minutes since the power reset, the best the Dish CSR could come up with was 1. Don't stack the HWS on top of other components, even if they are off. The heat may cause a shut down. This HWS has been working great on top of this stack since Christmas.
2. I can send you a new HWS to replace yours (with over 800 recordings on the HD).
Then I remember reading here that EHDs attached to the HWS can extend the start up time. A couple minutes later, after turning off the 2 EHDs I have connected, I am watching TV.

If it weren't for my CRS, I could have skipped the call to Dish.

Satellite Guys rocks.

The CSR was absolutely correct about not stacking. You're playing with fire there, almost literally.

The devices it is stacked on are powered off and not generating any heat. How ie that different from placing it on a shelf.
If placing it on top of anything is a problem because of reflected heat from the HWS as the CSR suggested, how do you all suspend your HWS in mid air?

The devices it is stacked on are powered off and not generating any heat. How ie that different from placing it on a shelf.
If placing it on top of anything is a problem because of reflected heat from the HWS as the CSR suggested, how do you all suspend your HWS in mid air?
What about when that device is on ? My Hopper sits on a glass shelf, by the way - no need to suspend it in mid-air as that glass can't be turned on or generate any heat ! :D

Or at least separate components as much as possible so air can circulate. You must have some scrap wood cut some blocks to put under the components to create air space.

Or at least separate components as much as possible so air can circulate. You must have some scrap wood cut some blocks to put under the components to create air space.
Black PVC pipe of desired diameter cut to appropriate lengths for "feet" is perfect for this and done right, have a nice, finished look.

I have a bunch of black plastic interlocking rings about 1.25" in diameter. I have conected them in stacks about an inch tall and use them as spacers to seperate the HWS from the DVD player under it. That DVD player gets turned on maybe twice a year.
I know from my RV days that the HWS can over heat and the message on screen that tells that is the problem. There was no over heating problem this time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)